Show Meanings

We have absolutely no way of telling from that show that the clown was thinking of killing himself.

He's walking toward the edge and about to jump and she stops him. Also, his emotion is distraught and suicidal. The umbrella is a symbol of protection, a symbol of a parachute. You must use the composition in front of you in order to get the dramatic action. If you don't understand it, ask someone until you get it. Don't settle for not understanding something. The answer may be that it's an abstract concept. Just say "Fine. Explain it to me." It's perfectly fine not to get something, but it's your job to be ambitious enough to grasp the obvious clues in front of you. Hope this helps.

snip - ... it's your job to be ambitious enough to grasp the obvious clues in front of you....

cool, now I'm achieving box 1 as a fan.

While I don't like being told what my "job" is at something I consider entertainment, I do appreciate and enjoy reading your posts about show designs and the suggestions you have for improvements. You see things, and think about things that are completely outside of how I view and experience drum corps.

When you say it is my job, it sounds like you are saying I need to be like you. Well, I can't do that. You can point out the things you see that no one else does. That helps to inform and educate us. That is a positive thing. You can encourage to dive deep, but I am not built like you.

Edited by c mor

I don't need a show theme, and the Cadets' show DEFINITELY reaches people. It doesn't need a storyline or little Geoffreys or Phantom murders or white stick props muddying the waters. People are cheering it because it touches them at a visceral level. It doesn't need that Stalinesque claptrap in it to miraculously make it "artistic." And, BDs dada show was hardly intellectually stimulating. It was ironic, however, in the sense that the perfect example of the establishment in DCI produced a HORRID show that was hardly anti-establishment. LOL!

Cadet's interpretation is completely antithetical to the original work. The 10th Symphony is always performed with reference to the political climate during the Russian holocaust under Stalin's regime where 20 million people were slaughtered. To perform the work outside that context, with smiling, jubilant cherubs dancing and counting to ten is almost reckless. It's revisionist. It's historical terrorism. And it's embarrassing. The only justification that might save the Cadets is if Stalin is said to be pulling strings behind the scenes in Cadet's show to create an illusion of avoidant jubilance.

Shostakovich’s Tenth Symphony is 48 minutes of tragedy, despair, terror, and violence and two minutes of triumph. Since the end of the 1970s, the most widely accepted interpretation of the work has seen it as a depiction of the Stalin years in Russia, when between eight and 20 million people died as a direct or indirect result of Stalin’s regime and when those who didn’t lived in constant fear. Shostakovich certainly felt the capriciousness of Stalin’s rule first-hand – he was publicly denounced, his works proscribed, and his status reduced to that of a “non-person.” Friends and colleagues disappeared, many of them never to return. The horror of these years – and the collective sigh of relief that doubtlessly followed when Stalin died on March 5, 1953 – certainly make a plausible program for Shostakovich’s Tenth. --John Mangum LA Phil

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 1

Eye of the beholder. I could care less what the theme is. I either like what's happening on the field or I don't. I've yet to have a show that I did not like, read up on whatever the meeting was supposed to be and then all the sudden liked it.

Well stated and I agree. I've never been "convinced" to like a show because of background material or deeper meaning. The visual/music pulls me in or it doesn't.

BD pulls me in this year.

Cadets pull me in this year.

Crown pulls me in this year.

I, for the life of me, cannot figure out the theme of Cavaliers show. I get sports. What's with the platforms? Are they wrestling mats? Is there a story? I don't get it. Last year was simple in your face...this year is out there. Am I over thinking this?

You're not over thinking this. At the seven-minute mark there's some backfield action and tableaus that the guard performs. It makes no sense. I've watched it carefully now about ten times.

1) First a sportsman is carried to a platform. He trust falls off the back into the arms of the other sportsmen.

2) Then they carry him to the next platform where he creates a tableau with some other sportsmen who clasp his hand and hang off the edge of the platform, all mirrored on the opposite side by another group doing the same thing.

3) They each stretch one arm out to try and touch the other side's tableau.

4) Then it dissolves.

This is a missed opportunity to build depth of concept. These tableaus seem unrelated now. Their purpose is unclear. They're also not referred to again during the rest of the show. Another missed opportunity. The score is a reflection of this tableau right now. Develop this action and the other small dramatic actions in the show and you'll see their score vault upward.

These tableaus should provide the thematic depth in their show but it's lacking clarity and resonance right now.

Compare this show's character action to that of the Devils where character objectives are clear and character interaction is logical, and it all adds momentum to the game they're building.

Edited by Channel3

Cadet's interpretation is completely antithetical to the original work. The 10th Symphony is always performed with reference to the political climate during the Russian holocaust under Stalin's regime where 20 million people were slaughtered. To perform the work outside that context, with smiling, jubilant cherubs dancing and counting to ten is almost reckless. It's revisionist. It's historical terrorism. And it's embarrassing. The only justification that might save the Cadets is if Stalin is said to be pulling strings behind the scenes in Cadet's show to create an illusion of avoidant jubilance.

Shostakovich’s Tenth Symphony is 48 minutes of tragedy, despair, terror, and violence and two minutes of triumph. Since the end of the 1970s, the most widely accepted interpretation of the work has seen it as a depiction of the Stalin years in Russia, when between eight and 20 million people died as a direct or indirect result of Stalin’s regime and when those who didn’t lived in constant fear. Shostakovich certainly felt the capriciousness of Stalin’s rule first-hand – he was publicly denounced, his works proscribed, and his status reduced to that of a “non-person.” Friends and colleagues disappeared, many of them never to return. The horror of these years – and the collective sigh of relief that doubtlessly followed when Stalin died on March 5, 1953 – certainly make a plausible program for Shostakovich’s Tenth. --John Mangum LA Phil

Is it 'historical terrorism' when someone sets Shakespeare's Richard III in 1960s Las Vegas?

Thanks for the lesson about Shostakovich, by the way. I didn't realize that, and I doubt anyone else on this forum knew it either.

Please email Hop and the entire judges panel your discovery about this guy named Stalin too, and the forced collectivization of farms which killed about 10 million Ukrainians, among many others, etc.

And please contact Homeland Security about the terrorism threat too. Thank God for Citizens like you! I owe you my life.

I just understood you to be a BD honk seeking to clobber anyone in the way of another low-demand highly-staged Devils gold medal, earned or just sleight-of-hand hyped. If the typical BD show that you so love is so full of 'meaning', why, then, must it be so risk-averse, with less difficult marching or simultaneous demand, and so often watered down? If that's the kind of 'meaning' you seek, I'm out.

I want to see executed beautifully what seems impossible. That's what the Cadets have done most years since I was a little kid. And they can do that this year too.

• Like 2

Time to break out the popcorn!

It's ALWAYS time to break out the popcorn! :dancin:

What's the over/under on word count for channel3's response?

• Like 2

It seems to me like the Cadets started with the Tenth Symphony and created a show and a theme around that piece of music.