Attendance SHAZZAM!

This is a bit disturbing if true. I am interpreting this, albeit perhaps wrongly, that the the tightness in scores, especially in the top 5 is artificial. Is it a case that spreads have been minimized to create an illusion of tight competition to get butts in the seats?

I don't think so. But I don't have the sources that Garfield apparently has. He told us on this thread above that he had sources in the room where judges were requested to slot the scores and keep the competition closer. And the rationale was for selling seats. It is a bit disturbing to me as well. But its undeniable that it appears to be working, as the scores do seem tighter this season, and attendance is up. Like Barigirl78, You, and probably most others, I thought the close scores were just as a result of happenstance, nothing more. But apparently not.

Edited by BRASSO

I don't think so. But I don't have the sources that Garfield apparently has. He told us on this thread above thst he had sources in the room where judges were requested to slot the scores to keep the competition closer. And the rationale was for selling seats. It is a bit distubing to me as well. But its undeniable that it appears to be working, as the scores do seem seem tighter this season, and attendance is up. Like Barigirl78, You, and probably most others, I thought the close scores were just as a result of happenstance, nothing more. But apparently not.

If true, I need a drink. Actually, I need a drink regardless.

Does anyone but the hard core fans and parents of members care that much about how tight the scores are?

I tend to believe that attendance is up because there are now five very compelling shows to see every night. The uniqueness between the corps is really apparent now, and people now seem to get why they need to come see a certain show, whether it is getting a 92 or an 82 is irrelevant,

Jmho

• Like 2

I don't think so. But I don't have the sources that Garfield apparently has. He told us on this thread above that he had sources in the room where judges were requested to slot the scores and keep the competition closer. And the rationale was for selling seats. It is a bit disturbing to me as well. But its undeniable that it appears to be working, as the scores do seem tighter this season, and attendance is up. Like Barigirl78, You, and probably most others, I thought the close scores were just as a result of happenstance, nothing more. But apparently not.

There MIGHT be a point if the corps finished in the same order every night..... "keeping the competition closer" might be artificial slotting, but only the close true competition that we've been enjoying this season results in a different order of finish almost every night...... (up and down the top twenty).

Does anyone but the hard core fans and parents of members care that much about how tight the scores are?

I tend to believe that attendance is up because there are now five very compelling shows to see every night. The uniqueness between the corps is really apparent now, and people now seem to get why they need to come see a certain show, whether it is getting a 92 or an 82 is irrelevant,

Jmho

I have been in drum corps for 40 years. I care a lot but I guess that makes me hard corps,

It's everything - social media getting the word out for a sport that does not have the types of backers that the NFL does.

"...and now, this drum corps salute brought to you by Campbell's Soup - cause it's mmm, mmm, good!"

I like the "little Rascals-ness" of drum corps shows - the grassy fields, the soggy seating, the occassional shower...the in-your-face, up-close and personal sweatiness of it.

Yes. Attendance is definitely up. I attend numerous shows throughout the season, travel thousands of miles following my favorite corps. Tickets for many of the shows I've attended this year have sold very well. Some of the shows have been sellouts, while many others near capacity. I actually had to buy a ticket on ebay for Atlanta, otherwise my seat would have been in the corner end zone. There were zero, single tickets available anywhere. Murfreesboro - record crowd. Atlanta - record crowd. Winston-Salem - record crowd. Even the smaller venues seem to have been done well this season.

There MIGHT be a point if the corps finished in the same order every night..... "keeping the competition closer" might be artificial slotting, but only the close true competition that we've been enjoying this season results in a different order of finish almost every night...... (up and down the top twenty).

But don't you see? If this is the directive, with multiple captions, you should expect multiple winners. It is a natural consequence. I can't believe it given the shows this year, but ... ####.

But don't you see? If this is the directive, with multiple captions, you should expect multiple winners. It is a natural consequence. I can't believe it given the shows this year, but ... ####.

The directive that has apparently been given to the judges this season... slot the scores in such a fashion so it gives the fans closer competition has resulted in several flip flops in placement up and down the placement orders. When have we had so many different Corps win these Regionals ? Its been awhile. So the directive to the judges to keep the competition slotted scores close seems to be working as intended. Will this directive cease by Finals, and we get the real deal on these Corps then, without any continuation request to artificially keep the competition scores close ? Who knows. We are in unchartered waters now, as we have no idea if the judges will loosen up this newly discovered request to keep the competition scores close right into Championships, and then Finals Night, or not.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Pardon me if this has been discussed already (I didn't notice it in my skimming), but I think a lot of the growing show attendance (and growing young fan base) has to do with how visible individual marchers are on Instagram and, even moreso, tumblr. Many members have dedicated fan bases with whom they share the trials, tribulations, and triumphs of being on tour. They talk about what's going on, share where they are and where they're going, and invite their followers to come find them after a show for a picture and some conversation. These folks are all-stars in the marching world, and they openly discuss things like the importance of rooting for all corps, no matter what ranking. They open up visibility for lower-tier corps, and hopefully have an effect on recruitment. For a long time, we talked on here about how people weren't drawn to drum corps because there were no personal narratives to latch onto. Well, now we have that, and I believe we're seeing the effects.

• Like 1