Attendance SHAZZAM!

your reaction is over reaction to a potential rumor.

like most of your reactions, you're making a mountain out of a molehill

You seem infuriated, Bro, just relax, it'll pass.

Brasso, (and Jeff), thanks for keeping the thread alive so people know to post even anecdotal evidence of attendance surprises.

I'm still hearing them...

Massillon tonight...another biggie. I know lots of people who are going tonight.

For the whole season, I smell "unprecedented" attendance...

Do you think we can go out on a limb and say more people will watch drumcorps live in 2015 than any year in history? Between huge crowds at regionals and local shows plus DCI Live and theater attendance, we are talking huge numbers. I know finals attendance was huge in the 80's, but I have NEVER had a problem getting a seat for finals. If you go on ticketmaster right now it's shocking to see the seats that are sold.

People can yell all they want, but I think it's safe to say that drumcorps is alive and well in 2015. Folks constantly say how DCI is doing an awful job, while they just keep churning along selling out events.

Z

Edited by MikeZ

Do you think we can go out on a limb and say more people will watch drumcorps live in 2015 than any year in history? Between huge crowds at regionals and local shows plus DCI Live and theater attendance, we are talking huge numbers.

What metrics do we use for " live " watch ? If we include as a "live watch " off site " live watch ",( such as Cinema watchers as well ) then each of the mid 70's, thru each year of the 80's, early 90's " live watchers " each year back then probably dwarf the numbers of " live " watchers for 2015. It wouldn't be even remotely close if we use this metric for measuring " live watch ".

DCI East, DCI Midwest AND DCI Finals was all on " live " TV at one time lest we forget. As such, it is reasonable to assume that the mere exposure to far more TV sets from coast to coast than Cinema houses, would naturally be expected to bring thousands of more " live " watchers than what we have here in 2015.

So I'd be very hesitant of saying " any year in History " if we use off site " live watch " in the measurement as that would be most certainly be an inaccurate assessment, it would seem to me.

That said, you'd be on more solid ground to affimatively state that in the non TV years, including off site " live watch ", 2015 has most likely had its most successful attendance in quite awhile. Thats a more accurate assessment and a more appropriate timeline.

Edited by BRASSO

You seem infuriated, Bro, just relax, it'll pass.

dude, i'm not even flustered.

• Like 2

Do you think we can go out on a limb and say more people will watch drumcorps live in 2015 than any year in history? Between huge crowds at regionals and local shows plus DCI Live and theater attendance, we are talking huge numbers. I know finals attendance was huge in the 80's, but I have NEVER had a problem getting a seat for finals. If you go on ticketmaster right now it's shocking to see the seats that are sold.

People can yell all they want, but I think it's safe to say that drumcorps is alive and well in 2015. Folks constantly say how DCI is doing an awful job, while they just keep churning along selling out events.

Z

ever? Dunno. when you had a lot more shows on the schedule, you probably had more people. But easily the most in 2o or so years

For the whole season, I smell "unprecedented" attendance...

I think you're correct in this matter. It sounds as if the big shows: Allentown, San Antonio, Atlanta, Minnesota all had an increase in attendance and the TOC shows were well attended. the shows I attended were pretty full, but with the exception of Allentown and Gilette were smaller venues. The key seems to be younger audiences and school groups. The shows that were very well attended also had younger crowds. Reaching this age group cultivates future audiences. A trick that can work in the Northeast, especially Massachusetts and New Jersey is teaching out to older alums. A few years back BAC had marching members standing at the exits thanking people for attending. I've heard it was accidental and I've also heard it was intentional. Folks who marched years ago loved it. If we want to grow the audience, reach out to the young, remind alums of what drum corps was and still is, and make first timers so happy they'll return.

Pretty sure it was the biggest drum corps crowd ever in Massillon. Don't know the totals yet, but very close to sold out.

A few empty seats just here and there, but even with a sellout there are going to be empty seats from folks that bought tickets,

but ended up not being able to attend.

Last year was the first TOC show held there and the crowd was big, but tonight's TOC was quite a bit bigger.

• Like 1

Do you think we can go out on a limb and say more people will watch drumcorps live in 2015 than any year in history?

Given that in the early 1970s there were 6 or 7 times more contests than there are today, that would be a difficult thing to accomplish.

There were many major shows that each drew in excess of 10,000 back then.

• Like 1