Best DM 2015

Interesting factoid - we have drum majors from two corps who went to rival Texas high schools ... and ones with pretty darn good marching bands - Kendall Stevenson of the Cadets (Flower Mound) and Chase Tucker of Boston Crusaders (Flower Mound Marcus).

• Like 1

I was very impressed with Niko at BD practice the other day. He and Jamie Holly were on the same page throughout practice and seem to have great chemistry. But what do I know. I only witnessed about two hours of their entire summer tour.

You can bet their day, plan of attack,focus, presenting a single unit, are not by chance and well planned out. Many good DMs are included in on part of the staff meeting so they know precisely what is expected of them as well as the MMs and the plan, focus and goal of the day.

Edited by GUARDLING

You can close this thread, because after last night's Allentown show, there's a CLEAR winner.

Jersey Surf's drum major absolutely saved the corps last night. They start Good Vibrations with pit, battery, and a tuba soli. Each of those three sections decided to start with their own tempos, and it tore horribly. It got worse, to the point where I thought they would have to stop and start over....until the drum major did an on-the-fly cut and restart that happened so quickly, so decisively, that all three sections pulled it together, much like dropping a needle on a record.

It was without question the most impressive piece of damage control I've ever seen from a DCI drum major, and the corps recovered completely. I'd love to see if anyone got video of it, because it's a case-study in what can happen and how a prepared drum major can repair a show on the fly.

• Like 5

Jersey Surf after last night. Pure class and confidence.

You can close this thread, because after last night's Allentown show, there's a CLEAR winner.

Jersey Surf's drum major absolutely saved the corps last night. They start Good Vibrations with pit, battery, and a tuba soli. Each of those three sections decided to start with their own tempos, and it tore horribly. It got worse, to the point where I thought they would have to stop and start over....until the drum major did an on-the-fly cut and restart that happened so quickly, so decisively, that all three sections pulled it together, much like dropping a needle on a record.

It was without question the most impressive piece of damage control I've ever seen from a DCI drum major, and the corps recovered completely. I'd love to see if anyone got video of it, because it's a case-study in what can happen and how a prepared drum major can repair a show on the fly.

Man, I missed Jersey Surfs show as i was out with friends. But I would have loved to have seen this quick, decisive, confident response to save his Corps with this. ( another reason we miss DCI show replay options ). Some people think being a DM is just flapping their arms, but its way more than this... both on and off the field. Kudos to the JS DM for the real world example on why he was probably chosen for the DM position in the first place.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

DCI's own video did not show this clearly. On the high cam you could see that he was making some outsized gestures at that point.

Mmm... I'm very surprised no one has Jackie Rotch from Spirit of Atlanta. 5 years of perfection! Might not be in the most popular corps, but she still performs like a boss

• Like 1

Mmm... I'm very surprised no one has Jackie Rotch from Spirit of Atlanta. 5 years of perfection! Might not be in the most popular corps, but she still performs like a boss

Of course, she would be my choice, but then I'd be accused of homerism? (Is that a word? I'm sure it is on DCP.)