ALLENTOWN - Day 2

I'm not sure the theme revolving around the number 10 can be found in the color of all black... but maybe the Cadets have something up their sleeves ? Otherwise, as near as I can tell, no explanation has been given for the change of their uniforms colors to all Black.... nor if this is now a permanent color change for them.

Holy Name Cadets, Garfield Cadets, The Cadets have never worn the color Black before... let alone all Black. So, for sure, this is a major color change for this Corps from what they have used in uniform colors for well over half a century.

First, please excuse me if the following has already been explored on another DCP thread. It is my wish to neither rehash old material, nor to plagiarize another.

As far as the Cadets' move to black...I not only applaud it, but it makes total and complete sense in terms of the program. Shostakovich wrote his 10th Symphony following Stalin's death (the work was premiered on 17 December 1953, after Stalin's death in March of that year)...and I would think that any mention of Stalin would immediately signify and incite a feeling of "blackness" in terms of the Russian population at large. Further, Shostakovich was denounced twice by Communist authorities during his lifetime. The 10th Symphony was Shostakovich's first written following his second denunciation (in 1948).

In the Russian book "Testimony" , based on supposed interviews with Shostakovich, he supposedly stated "I did depict Stalin in my next Symphony, the tenth. I wrote it right after Stalin's death and no one has yet (as of 1979) guessed what the symphony is about. It's about Stalin and the Stalin years."

What does the average drum corps viewer know about all of this. Very little, I'm sure. But....if all of this is presented to corps members as part of the "educational experience.", I can't help but believe that it is part and parcel to the education...as well as further understanding what it is that they are performing. In that vein, I would have to believe that it might also assist them as being a legitimate basis on which they are performing.

• Like 1

With everyones scores dropping last night, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see some "correction" with the score tonight.

Since its a regional, the judges will attempt to be consistent over the two shows but easier said then done.

First, please excuse me if the following has already been explored on another DCP thread. It is my wish to neither rehash old material, nor to plagiarize another.

As far as the Cadets' move to black...I not only applaud it, but it makes total and complete sense in terms of the program. Shostakovich wrote his 10th Symphony following Stalin's death (the work was premiered on 17 December 1953, after Stalin's death in March of that year)...and I would think that any mention of Stalin would immediately signify and incite a feeling of "blackness" in terms of the Russian population at large. Further, Shostakovich was denounced twice by Communist authorities during his lifetime. The 10th Symphony was Shostakovich's first written following his second denunciation (in 1948).

In the Russian book "Testimony" , based on supposed interviews with Shostakovich, he supposedly stated "I did depict Stalin in my next Symphony, the tenth. I wrote it right after Stalin's death and no one has yet (as of 1979) guessed what the symphony is about. It's about Stalin and the Stalin years."

What does the average drum corps viewer know about all of this. Very little, I'm sure. But....if all of this is presented to corps members as part of the "educational experience.", I can't help but believe that it is part and parcel to the education...as well as further understanding what it is that they are performing. In that vein, I would have to believe that it might also assist them as being a legitimate basis on which they are performing.

You first three paragraphs mean absolutely nothing to me in terms of how I view or enjoy The Cadets 2015 production.

HOWEVER, that last paragraph is what separates a teacher from an instructor ! BRAVO ! If the kids understand the emotions that went INTO writing such a symphony, they are more likely to make the effort to project that same emotion coming OUT. Successful teachers and coaches always use these tools for motivation......... one of the most useful posts I've seen in here (except for your first three paragraphs)

Thank you for calling that to our attention.......

With everyones scores dropping last night, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see some "correction" with the score tonight.

I tend to agree. I think they started low last night - and then with BD all by it's lonesome on Friday out of the top 3 (4 really) corps it kept the scores low right until the end.

Since its a regional, the judges will attempt to be consistent over the two shows but easier said then done.

With three of the top four performing tonight, the judges may be forced to move one or two above BD of last night.....

This is going to be a very interesting night.....but it will all work out at prelims !

However, the uniform choice by the Cadets had not a thing to do with this years theme. It was explained to us above that the uniform decision by the Cadets was principally made for the use by the Cadets2 Corps.. to establish their own identity. Furthermore, the Cadets have many times performed dark themed shows over their many years in their bright maroon and gold colored uniforms. So the reason for the change to black here has been properly explained..... its for Cadets2. The fact that the Cadets chose to wear the black for the last week of this season is a timely coincidence to the theme... and thats good timing too. But the Cadets would not use these all Black uniforms now if this was their Christmas Themed show of a couple of years back for example. They'd have sent these All Blacks right to the Cadets2.

Edited by BRASSO

However, the uniform choice by the Cadets had not a thing to do with this years theme. It was explained to us above that the uniform decision by the Cadets was principally made for the use by the Cadets2 Corps.. to establish their own identity. Furthermore, the Cadets have many times performed dark themed shows over their many years in their bright maroon and gold colored uniforms. So the reason for the change to black here has been properly explained..... its for Cadets2.

Fine...I shall proceed further as being suitably corrected.

Edited by HornTeacher

There probably aren't a lot of people going tonight who are reading DCP, but to those of you who who are doing both....

Last night, the fuel fund jars of most of the corps I visited in souvie row were doing pretty badly (hopefully they looked better later). If you have a chance and the means, take a walk though and slip a buck or two thousand ( :tounge2: ) into the corps jar of your choice :cool:

• Like 1

However, the uniform choice by the Cadets had not a thing to do with this years theme. It was explained to us above that the uniform decision by the Cadets was principally made for the use by the Cadets2 Corps.. to establish their own identity. Furthermore, the Cadets have many times performed dark themed shows over their many years in their bright maroon and gold colored uniforms. So the reason for the change to black here has been properly explained..... its for Cadets2.

This.