Official DCI Semifinals Thread 2015

Why have 2 Drum judges? It just doesnt make sense. DCI management rarely makes sense. Someone should get fired for tonight's score announcement format.

It makes perfect sense. One in the box, one on the field. The real question is "Why isn't there a second brass judge, located in the box?"

• Like 3

Why have 2 Drum judges? It just doesnt make sense. DCI management rarely makes sense. Someone should get fired for tonight's score announcement format.

To get a field view as well as an overall ensemble view? Makes sense to me.

Isn't there a predefined tiebreaker system for first place?

yes. no more ties allowed

Still think it's utter BS Cadets fell to fourth from third and that the uniform change is to blame. I've seen it live and in theater's yesterday, they even compared it pior to the uni change and looks much better. Many people may complain about placements on DCP but I even heard it from a friend of mine that's in bloo this year(2nd year memeber) that the judges don't know what they're doing and the kids care about simply performing the best show they can which is most definitely evident. Kinda hard to judge so many shows that are all so #### different nowadays and say one is better than the other...

Yeesh, sorry for the rant now back to never posting here again!

This judging system is crap. Look at the execution drum score for Bluecoats. Kristensen had them 1st, Dunn had them 5th, with a 6 tenths difference. Were these two guys even in the same stadium? Maybe one of them was at the other music convention in town. This isn't right screwing with these hard working, dedicated kids like this. DCI really needs to go back to tics for the execution captions. This opinion system lets these clowns get away with this crap.

Abso-freaking-lutly 100% spot on correct.

• Like 1

I think it's the lack of contrast, more than the color black, that hurts the GE. Things like the leg movement & body movement in the ballad are nearly invisible in the black uniforms. When they are doing big, spread-out drill like at the end, the black seems readable, if maybe a little less clear than the white pants.

This. Black pants only work as negative space, to "hide dirt", when they have some contrasting color to work against. I thought a silver sash might help, but even that might not be enough color. When Phantom won in 1996 using all black uniforms, they had a visual program designed to make the corps fade into the background, featuring the guard and the music. People forget that (and boy did that work).

Edited by Kamarag

Cadets in 4th. Ouch. Remember when they had the title locked up earlier in the season?

Yes we do. Cadets are now down .5 in GE visual and down .7 in visual analysis . Let's see, if you add .5 + .7 you get 1.2 . If you add 1.2 to 95.5 you get 96.7 . That would put them .075 behind Crown. That's less than .1 behind with one night to go. Hmmm?. What might affect those captions? Could it be that you can't give credit for something you can't see? As in changing to black unforms? Perhaps.

Edited by 27Socal

That is the decision of the percussion heads, and DCI. Percussion really needs the two reads to get the best overall drum score. Things like battery execution, stick height and placement require an upclose view. Battery and pit ensemble balance are better heard from the box.

That is the decision of the percussion heads, and DCI. Percussion really needs the two reads to get the best overall drum score. Things like battery execution, stick height and placement require an upclose view. Battery and pit ensemble balance are better heard from the box.

Yep, well said. I just wish they'd do the same thing for brass.