Boston Crusaders 2016

EMC's heart is in the right place...sometimes his true intent is not as clear as it could be.

I had the great fortune of spending a hour with the corps by the truck at Indy after the retreat. As far as those kids were concerned, BAC won. I get the fact that some people here on DCP may not understand it, and certainly there were 9 other drum corps who received a higher number last Saturday night. Having said that, in all the measures which count most to the Boston Crusaders, (tradition, legacy, family, love for each other), they believe themselves to be World Champions.

They sang Giant. They hugged each other. They celebrated 75 years as a drum corps. They won.

And they know it.

• Like 3

EMC's heart is in the right place...sometimes his true intent is not as clear as it could be.

I had the great fortune of spending a hour with the corps by the truck at Indy after the retreat. As far as those kids were concerned, BAC won. I get the fact that some people here on DCP may not understand it, and certainly there were 9 other drum corps who received a higher number last Saturday night. Having said that, in all the measures which count most to the Boston Crusaders, (tradition, legacy, family, love for each other), they believe themselves to be World Champions.

They sang Giant. They hugged each other. They celebrated 75 years as a drum corps. They won.

And they know it.

Heck. Observations which should lie on the webpage of every Corps in the activity. Sadly, as much as they try, most never accomplish the sense or the feeling. I just wish I had been there to see it. It would have been life-altering, I'm sure.

Edited by HornTeacher

It's easy to sit here and play armchair quarterback, or "armchair corps director", when the truth is, if we stepped back and remember what it was like when we spent all those hours practing, making friends and performing our hearts out, we would not worry so much about placement. Remember that feeling? I do. I remember feeling great about the performance and not really thinking about the outcome. As long as the kids are learning and enjoying their experience, that's a win in my eyes.

Edited by ajlemm
  • Like 1

And they know it.

Yes of course! I don't doubt that for one second!

On the other hand...I just want to see them achieve a better more recent competitive success beyond being just finalist...I just feel like the organization WANTS to be more than just that...at least that is my impression...After all why would BAC board members use phases like "Building a Champion" if that were not the goal in the first place...BAC is past surviving...it is their time to RISE..also thought that was another point they were saying with that show if you catch my drift...I am hoping for positive constructive criticism towards this end goal in mind...sometimes I think the powers to be don't take well to said criticism....that might be part of the problem (nothing but speculation)...It is my feeling at this juncture that promises are just not enough...I want to see progress...If they fail in their effort...so what...I could care less...at least they gave it everything they had towards this end goal...

edit: Do I not think they are really trying? No of course not...but something needs to change if you expect better results..exactly what that is not my place to say...that is why I have posed these questions in the off-season...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

It's easy to sit here and play armchair quarterback, or "armchair corps director", when the truth is, if we stepped back and remember what it was like when we spent all those hours practing, making friends and performing our hearts out, we would not worry so much about placement. Remember that feeling? I do. I remember feeling great about the performance and not really thinking about the outcome. As long as the kids are learning and enjoying their experience, that's a win in my eyes.

I agree...never cared about placement at all when I marched...as altruistic as it is...I think the organization is looking for more than that...JMO

Edited by Liahona

On the other hand...I just want to see them achieve a better more recent competitive success beyond being just finalist...I just feel like the organization WANTS to be more than just that...at least that is my impression...After all why would BAC board members use phases like "Building a Champion" if that were not the goal in the first place...BAC is past surviving...it is their time to RISE..also thought that was another point they were saying with that show if you catch my drift...I am hoping for positive constructive criticism towards this end goal in mind...sometimes I think the powers to be don't take well to said criticism....that might be part of the problem (nothing but speculation)...It is my feeling at this juncture that promises are just not enough...I want to see progress...If they fail in their effort...so what...I could care less...at least they gave it everything they had towards this end goal...

All the top corps probably have a top behind the scenes organization. Boston is working to tighten up that end as they also work to improve the product on the field. To me, Rise and Animal Farm may have caused some potential talent to look elsewhere. There average age was down a little this past year. I know show designs have changed in DCI land since Boston was 5th in 2000 and 2002, but I don't believe those drills were tougher than what is being written recently. If not being done already during Winter camps in FL, adding some marching to each weekend might help. If they are doing it already, then one must be honest and ask why jazz running is so dirty in August. I'm not trying to be an apologist for the corps, but the past couple of years have been rather hectic as the organization expands. I'm guessing they will get the time this off season to sit back and address the areas they know that have to be worked on. Every corps outside the top 5/6 knows it's not an easy task to replace the current top 5/6 with any consistency.

• Like 2

So I ask this question. What does BAC need to do to become a top 5 drum corps once again and not just be a top 10 finalist?

Come out of the gate with a better design and be more prepared (Stop digging them self into a hole so early in the season). A lot of what you are seeking you and others have all ready talked about on this site over the past mo's and years. (? BAC top 5) Whats your view.

• Like 1

And they know it.

Craiga nice to meet you this past year.

Come out of the gate with a better design and be more prepared (Stop digging them self into a hole so early in the season). A lot of what you are seeking you and others have all ready talked about on this site over the past mo's and years. (? BAC top 5) Whats your view.

I agree with you...better design would help...So how does that occur? Hire one of the best in the business to do just that...well start networking now and GET that person on board...Remember even though altruism exists in drum corps...money also talks as well...Market your big name hire and talent will follow...it all just starts to snowball...a big name also attracts better techs etc...I'm not saying fire everyone...that would be a dumb move...Well there is my armchair director ideas....haha

Edited by Liahona

See these are the kind of posts I enjoy reading, the pure enjoyment of being a part of it all, improving and embracing new ideas, being innovative but at the end of the day, looking to your right and your left and feeling the appreciation for the group of people your travel with, spend countless hours rehearsing, planning, etc...

Boston Crusaders are a classy organization and I look forward to their future endeavors in 2016