Carolina Crown 2016

I doubt they'll change it. Honestly. I'm sure they have plenty of members that are a part of the LGBT community and I would highly doubt that any of them have an issue with a drum corps show using a gun. We're looking way too deep into what is essentially a 10 minute production designed to entertain.

Couldn't be farther form the truth. After rewatching the show a few times on youtube, its obvious that they definitely have some visual dirt. Especially look for it in foot timing. And they still are yet to achieve that crystal clean precision on the dancing. There is definitely room for them to...

we're not talking truth, we're talking opinions. obviously, i disagree with your opinion. it's got almost no room to grow. they're performing what they have at an incredibly high standard. it's firing on all cylinders already, and the kids should be very proud. i'm sure they'll add a lot more gimmicks, and i know they'll continue to perform what they're given to the highest standard.

i'm really curious about what the judges choose to reward. dci hires them and designs their rubrics, and dci really is the member corps, so this will be very telling about the future. big moment for me as a fan, and if wgi is what's "next", then I, and a lot of others, are going to have to adjust.

i'm hoping the bloo/wgi influence doesn't become so pervasive that a great music corps like crown will start sacrificing musicality for the visual overload that winter guard prioritizes.

anyway, i was thinking about crown's show a little bit, and i think the ballad needs to be bigger and more emotional. church was pretty much the only place where 19th century frontier Americans could ever hear music. ideas of christian forgiveness and god being the ultimate judge directly conflict with the desire for revenge that's the undercurrent of the show. i feel like exploring that could lend power to the show.

• Like 2

Last night, Crown's show coordinator was positively brittle with fear over the gun violence in this show. When Rondinaro brought up the murder, I thought the show coordinator was going to plotz. This year's show contains gun violence and revenge, and with recent events, you could see him viscerally bracing for a discussion about it. He was nearly green and nauseated. He could barely choke out the distorted meaning behind the show, and the haphazard link "Relentless" applying to both the characters in the story and the real-world marching members. Dude, it's okay to read off of cards in your hand. The problem is the show starts with a brutal gun murder and a retribution gun murder (The second murder was likely intentionally left out by the broadcast's assistant director by the request of the show coordinator-- there's no way they could have missed it. A tight shot was intentionally omitted for broadcast.)

The title Relentless is a title that matches the corps' ambition, not anything to do with the spaghetti Western story they're conveying. Who's "relentless"? The murdered guy who comes back as a ghost and passes the torch to the next generation who avenges his murder? He's relentless? The dancing girls are relentless? Also, where's the playful humor that a Spaghetti Western might have? Dragging off a dead body at the end seemed brutal and a bit grim, not funny. Simply tweak it.

I recommend tweaking the story to make it more cohesive and fresh and gun violence-free considering recent events-- the coachman and his girlfriend (one of the dancing girls in the middle section) are robbed, she's kicked off the coach, but the boyfriend is kidnapped and is driven away by the robber. At the end, the dancing girlfriend who has earned ransom money by now through dancing and whatnot, returns to the robber with a satchel of ransom money with a dollar sign on it, presents the robber with the money but in a surprise move, hog ties the robber, frees her coachman boyfriend and hands the robber over to the authorities. Now that's a spaghetti western with a twist. These changes will keep the show coordinator from turning green with fear over the violence issue. Easy. Done. If there is another real-world gun incident, this show will be unbroadcastable in its current state.

No, no, the whole point of the show is that we learn, after the initial crime, that guns can be used non-violently. Thereafter, we see dozens of guns being spun and tossed in a positive and entertaining way, without anyone getting hurt or killed or even shooting their eye out.

• Like 3

No, no, the whole point of the show is that we learn, after the initial crime, that guns can be used non-violently. Thereafter, we see dozens of guns being spun and tossed in a positive and

entertaining way, without anyone getting hurt or killed or even shooting their eye out.

I can't support a show that condones violence.

oh wow ... some of the guard members are wearing bullet belts around their waists/arms/bodies....

I'm not a big PC kind of guy, but I'd take it easy on that. These days, just seems questionable in taste ... and they can certainly tell their story without a lot of ammunition strapped to their bodies... Kind of looks like a bizarre Call of Duty scene ..

• Like 1