Carolina Crown 2016

Don't worry, I'm sure DCI will have a "safe space" at shows for anyone who is "triggered" by Crown's performance. Or maybe they'll just have a sign that says "It's make-believe, get over it"

Same point, different conclusion:

It's make-believe, it's art, it's creative: there are plenty ways to suggest the same violence without being so literal about it. That's literally what art does.

I say this as someone who doesn't have strong feelings on the subject - I'm sympathetic to both sides. Yes, it's make-believe; yes, accordingly, you can make-believe it a thousand other ways.

I think it's a liiiittle weird, though, that people can't at least see why feelings might be a tad raw - why people might, at this specific moment, wince a little, or feel weird. That doesn't mean Crown has to change their show, but agree or not, let's maybe stop pretending it's illegitimate to feel weird, and let's stop feeling so darn threatened by that.

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1

It's Ok to feel however you want about this show. Personally I feel it is certainly not the most controversial show to ever be put on a football field. And by show I don't just mean marching ensembles (last year's halftime show at the super bowl?). But it is just a show, enjoy it for the hard work these kids put into it.

I have friends who were affected by the tragic event in Orlando so I am certainly sympathetic for them. But like I said just sit back and enjoy the show! Enjoy every show from every corps! These kids work their assess off all summer to entertain us! So let's be entertained!

One other observation after seeing Crown n at rehearsal tonight. Their battery is going to compete for a top three spot. They are that good. They sound mid-season crisp. This is extremely encouraging combined with a brass line that can vary considerably win the Ott.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2

I don't understand this topic!

It's a western theme. I believe they shoot guns in western themed movies. It fits the show. Not the current state of the outside world.

Same as I don't understand why Disney has taken out Louis the jazz trumpet playing alligator from their parades/shows due to the incident with the child at the resort. I believe the character was there long before the incident and ties in with the them and show being put on. Where did this sensitivity come from and why does it have to be catered to?

• Like 3

One other observation after seeing Crown n at rehearsal tonight. Their battery is going to compete for a top three spot. They are that good. They sound mid-season crisp. This is extremely encouraging combined with a brass line that can vary considerably win the Ott.

Good to hear they're cleaning up.

It's just been very crowded in the Sanford club, and none of the usual members seem in any rush to leave. Blue Devils, Cadets, Vanguard and Bluecoats.... Crown's gonna have to at least kick one of them out.

Crazy how good they got.. I am so excited for them this year.

• Like 1

Where did this sensitivity come from and why does it have to be catered to?

It's been spreading for decades and too many people are only interested in their little world.

In the "Feeling Fresno" topic, their is discussion about getting a decent score for an incomplete show. I would think the judges gave PC scores to those corps with shows not quite finished yet. God forbid if we gave them a really low score. Have you ever asked how the legal system seems to favor the guilty party? "Yes, they were at fault in the death of X number of humans, but their record has been spotless until now and they have young ones at home, etc.?" Or, a more recent classic case. http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/us/texas-teen-dwi-wreck/

Edited by Ghost

Would it be too much to ask that we talk about Drum Corps in this thread? It's bad enough I have to hear this all on the news and Facebook every day.

• Like 4

While I know most believe that the current closer is a place holder, which will evolve over the course of the season, Angel Eye's Ocarina whistle gives me chills every time hear/watch the Nations Ford vid from last week. Absolutely brilliant.

• Like 1

While I know most believe that the current closer is a place holder, which will evolve over the course of the season, Angel Eye's Ocarina whistle gives me chills every time hear/watch the Nations Ford vid from last week. Absolutely brilliant.

I'll bet you that they keep it in :)

• Like 1