Carolina Crown 2016

After checking Boston's schedule, I see Crown is not At CrownBeat. They've headed to the MW. Thought that was one of their shows.

yeah they're on the midwest track instead of the FL track. it happens.

more significantly they miss the parades :sad: one of the highlights of every tour was the reception they always received marching in those two great events. kids truly loved it.

Edited by corpsband

will be very interesting to not see how the captions break down.

I'm so excited to hear who wins subcaption awards on finals night

I'm so excited to hear who wins subcaption awards on finals night

Seems like it takes all the drama out of it. Last year there were 3 lines that mathematically could have won the Sanford going into finals. After a season where Cadets, BD and Vanguard had gone back and forth in the caption at regionals and big shows. And BD eventually won it despite not winning the caption either of the prior two nights and with Bluecoats winning on the field at finals. That's DCI scoring at its best in its most competitive caption - and it creates interest for the audience.

This year. "the Sanford trophy for best percussion performance goes to ... Blue Devils". And did they just walk away with it? Was anyone else close? Did they win all year? It obviously doesn't take anything away from their performance, but it's a lot less interesting for spectators.

Edited by ShortAndFast

Seems like it takes all the drama out of it. Last year there were 3 lines that mathematically could have won the Sanford going into finals. After a season where Cadets, BD and Vanguard had gone back and forth in the caption at regionals and big shows. And BD eventually won it despite not winning the caption either of the prior two nights and with Bluecoats winning on the field at finals. That's DCI scoring at its best in its most competitive caption - and it creates interest for the audience.

This year. "the Sanford trophy for best percussion performance goes to ... Blue Devils". And did they just walk away with it? Was anyone else close? Did they win all year? It obviously doesn't take anything away from their performance, but it's a lot less interesting for spectators.

Sunshine is the best disinfectant. Guess DCI wants to grow some moldy fungus!

That's an interesting way to twist it into that perspective...

1. Don't you think that all the anticipation and uncertainty creates MORE excitement? I feel like there have been many years where one caption gets absolutely dominated by one corps (Crown 2013 in brass, BD 2014 in almost everything) and there's absolutely no surprise when the caption winner is announced on finals. I end up feeling like "wow, what a surprise" *eyeroll*

2. We're going to get the recaps after finals night so plenty of analysis can occur in the boring offseason.

1. Don't you think that all the anticipation and uncertainty creates MORE excitement? I feel like there have been many years where one caption gets absolutely dominated by one corps (Crown 2013 in brass, BD 2014 in almost everything) and there's absolutely no surprise when the caption winner is announced on finals. I end up feeling like "wow, what a surprise" *eyeroll*

2. We're going to get the recaps after finals night so plenty of analysis can occur in the boring offseason.

This.

I think it will build a lot of excitement! And the off season discussion about the recaps will be fun.

I'm just speaking personally here, but knowing that two groups are really close and then watching to see who really brings their best performance is a high point for the competitive side of DCI. Obviously a lot of times captions are not close ("Gee, I wonder if BD will 10-peat in guard this year?") but it's still exciting when they are competitive.

I don't feel like "well there are four really good drum lines and I guess we'll just see which one they pick" is more exciting than "SCV won prelims and Cadets won semis, but BD could still pull it out with a good number tonight". YMMV.

As for the interest level after the season, there are recaps going back decades on FromThePressbox. How often have you read any of them other than for finals? I don't expect it's going to be much different for the season just completed. ("Oh, look, Phantom was 3rd in brass in Middle-Of-Nowhere, Nebraska on July 17th!")