Carolina Crown 2016

Crown would lose guard inexplicably last year once in a while as well. But it was always the same judges. It's all certain judges preference. George Oliviero has a history with scott and will most everytime have blue devils up. To my knowledge crown hasn't lost the guard caption to anyone this season until last night. Some judges may see crown way above Bluecoats and some may see it the other way around, its all subjective. Who wins the Zingali award comes down to who is judging the finals week. I thought crown would win guard last year till I saw that George and Marie were judging two of the 3 night. I knew then at that moment, that the blue devils would win guard. That doesn't take away from the outstanding season that crowns guard had. They were easily the closest anyone has come to touching this caption in almost a decade now aside from the Devils. So in my mind they won last year just like they won most encounters with the Devils in that caption. But just because George O says so, doesn't make it so.

Crowns guard has been tops for a while now. And I'm sure there will be many shows where judges will have them 1st above the bloue teams. So i wouldn't get my knickers in a knot over it. It's one judge at one show. If all judges begin to agree on this outcome then I will start to ponder reasons why. As for now. This is the best crown guard I've ever seen this time of the year. Period. They look like they are in a different league of professionalism.

You mean judges have relationships with staff and that may interfere with numbers? 😳

There's such a disconnect with shows and scores it's scary.

• Like 1

OK here goes.......

I have seen the recaps and Bloo has beaten Crown's guard on a number of occasions (e.g DeKalb) and BD is undefeated in guard so far (hmmmm????). I honestly have no bias besides being a guard person (I teach a top 10 IW finalist WGI guard) and enjoying great colour guard. There is no doubt Crown should have won guard last year (IMHO) and their technical prowess and cleanliness is to be admired.

I feel this year Bluecoat's guard is outstanding and under rated by some. I find their staging interesting and integral to the show. I think their writing is really creative. For example, watch their flag feature around 4.30 mark - some of the toughest and most creative writing on the field this year. I think they explore a good range and variety of ideas and effects and not just big tosses at big resolutions. At no point in their show do they look tagged on and there is almost a seamless connection between brass/drums and guard - partly achieved through costuming and partly to do with how the show is constructed.

I believe Crown's and Bloo's guard will be trading places all season and there will be tenths separating them at finals. Bloo's guard won't be the reason they don't win finals (if they don't!)

I hope that explains my position a little :-)

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 3

in the end it always comes down to what judge is assigned to what shows. as long as judges are consistently scoring you one way all summer (which they all do), you can generally tell what corps will win what shows/captions based up who the assigned judge is. It is how you can really affect the outcome of shows. Try to have DCI tell you how they assign judges for finals week... who makes those decisions... good luck trying to find that out!

Ok I was wrong. They havent beaten them every time but they have beaten them several times!!

Edited by DCI-86

yeah because it's so easy to confuse every time with several times. please. go back under your bridge troll.

It's trolling to make a mistake, it's not trolling to claim BD's guard wins aren't deserved.

This thread is wonderful

Ok I was wrong. They havent beaten them every time but they have beaten them several times!!

Pull your line in, and take your fishing pole home before you catch something too big that you can't handle.

It's trolling to make a mistake, it's not trolling to claim BD's guard wins aren't deserved.

This thread is wonderful

quote the message where i said that Cappy or retract your post.

and nobody mistakes a shut out for trading wins.

Edited by corpsband

quote the message where i said that Cappy or retract your post.

and nobody mistakes a shut out for trading wins.

Nowhere did I specifically say you said that, so I'm not retracting anything