DCI Suggestion Box

A Cowboy fan? Man, I really liked you too (Redkins fan here :tounge2: )

Please don't despair. Human perfection is seldom attainable. Just be the very best that you can be...nobody can ask for anything more. :silly:

Why don't more BD fans participate here? Seems odd that the preeminent organization in the activity would have more fans than anyone else.

I found BD's show as incomprehensible as their placement. A cultural stream-of-consciousness soup, performed clean as a whistle - meh.

That's why.

There are fifty or so BD fans on my Facebook page, at least, and every one of them avoids this place like the plague because of all the irrational, nasty hate-filled comments about the Concord kids.

Suggestion for DCI. Make the audio engineer have to be a marching member. If they are part of the ensemble and scoring, shouldn't they be an actual paying member?

if you're going to say... "but those kids aren't qualified to handle that" that's a lie. There's thousands of audio engineering programs and music technology degree programs across the nation where undergrads are more than capable of handling this scope of work. Trust me, I graduated from one. There's tons of students who would jump at the chance to do this for a summer instead of fetching coffee for a higher up in the music studio, or schlepping gear and pulling cable with little notoriety in return at summer stock theatre.

The other side of this, though, is to say that the person engineering the mix SHOULD be an adult and NOT a marching member.

"I marched iPad in Crown 2015." Isn't that a bit silly?

All triggering of SFX still has to be done by the kids on the field. The only thing the audio engineer does is stand in the bleachers and adjust the levels of everything. I think it SHOULD be done by a professional/adult instead of the kids. Let the kids perform the show, let the adults worry about the other stuff.

The other side of this, though, is to say that the person engineering the mix SHOULD be an adult and NOT a marching member.

"I marched iPad in Crown 2015." Isn't that a bit silly?

All triggering of SFX still has to be done by the kids on the field. The only thing the audio engineer does is stand in the bleachers and adjust the levels of everything. I think it SHOULD be done by a professional/adult instead of the kids. Let the kids perform the show, let the adults worry about the other stuff.

But this is a part of the show. In fact it's directly responsible for evaluation and the ensemble. It shouldn't be a hired gun. There's plenty of possible 18-22 year olds who can handle this. There's a few 17 year olds who can also handle this.

and its not marching an ipad. it's touring as the front of house engineer.

That's why.

There are fifty or so BD fans on my Facebook page, at least, and every one of them avoids this place like the plague because of all the irrational, nasty hate-filled comments about the Concord kids.

Yep. The one I see all the time is "well maybe I'm just too simple minded to understand their show" OK you said it I didn't.

If all you want is vanilla shows and the same tunes over and over please watch television instead. fire up yer VCR and watch them old timey drum corpse shows. I love all the new and creative things drum corps are doing now and they wound't be doing them if it weren't for corps who push the envelope like Cadets and BD ad SCV and Cavaliers and Star...etc.

I don't like rock-and-roll. (... so I'll give it a 6 out of 10)

I like most kinds of non-screetchy jazz. (... so I'll give it an 8 out of 10)

I love classical. (... so I'll give it a 9 out of 10)

I don't like most sports. I don't like most operas. (... so I'll give those a 4 out of 10)

I prefer TCM. (... so I'll rank everything outside of TCM lower than everything inside TCM)

How do you put a number on entertainment?

The same way you put a number on every other aspect of the sheet... subjective assessment of objective criteria.

Having said that, I completely agree with your point.

Cleveland1

"Every year i seem like i hope more entertainment value is put into the judging. A show shouldn't be champion if its not an entertaining show, even if its a sound show with great execution. "

I found BD to be exceptionally entertaining this year. Judging by comments here on the forums so did a LOT of other people.

The entire DCI field this year was phenomenal.

What one person finds entertaining another might not. If you mean taking the crowd into account, than just say you want the crowd favorite to win. Poor BD will not win for years, because people are just sick of them winning and loudly cheer for any corps that has a shot to take them down.

wow.. maybe i'm just illiterate.. but I don't see where Cleveland1 said anything about BD in the original comment.. just sayin.

But this is a part of the show. In fact it's directly responsible for evaluation and the ensemble. It shouldn't be a hired gun. There's plenty of possible 18-22 year olds who can handle this. There's a few 17 year olds who can also handle this.

and its not marching an ipad. it's touring as the front of house engineer.

Just saying, the majority of the "other" marching circuits - including BOA, state marching band circuits, WGI, etc - are all going the opposite direction, as has DCI.