Corps on the Move in 2016 - Who to Watch?

I think he was referring to Kinetic Noise as tilt 2. I may be wrong that just an assumption.

Yes, thanks. It had a familiar structure.

I'm curious why you think so?

It was in the same vein. Modern, untouched music picked first enhanced with some electronics and a simple but effective theme tied throughout (mean that in a very good way). On the most basic terms. Structurally this years had the drum feature and ballad switched around, but similar structure as well. I don't feel like it copied Tilt with different music and props added subbed in, just followed the same basic lines and design philosophy that worked and boom. Similar enough that it was what we loved about 2014, but different enough to stand on its own.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

If I am predicting based off the 5 corps who to me seemed to have improved the most from last season, it would be

Mandarins. I have always enjoyed them, even when they were a 40+ member DIII corps. This year they were my favorite non-finalist. I would have had them about 4 places higher than where they ended up.

Pioneer. Great to see them with their highest number of members(I think Roman was quoted as thanking 132 members this season?). I thought the talent level was better than the last decade, and the show design was a little stronger. I would love to see more retention of the members, and this corps could start to rise to where they were in the late 90s. I think that would be awesome for the corps that has members go on to march every other active corps in World Class.

Cascades. It was great to see another corps usually placing at the lower end of World Class really improve from the previous season. I think that is amazing for the activity. And it really starts raising the bar for other corps as well.

Academy. This was a great show this year, using familiar music that was very well performed. I would have had them in 14th place this year, behind Colts and ahead of Troopers. Many of my friends this year had them ranked in 13th, ahead of Colts and Troopers, including my wife. I really hope they can continue to improve.

Cavaliers. I really thought they were underscored this season by about 2-3 placements. But I also thought that SCV and Cadets should have each been a spot ahead of where they were. Cadets were possibly 2 spots lower than where they should have been. I am really looking forward to seeing this group next year.

BK is the corps to watch. I see them competing for a medal next year

I don't.

No Corps that has not medaled before has ever gone from 6th to 3rd place the following season in modern DCI. Thats pretty much totally out of the question then, imo... Besides, which of the 3 that medaled this year would BK replace ? BD, Crown, Bluecoats ? I think BK might improve.. who knows... , but compete for a medal in 2016 ? Thats fantasy talk, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

I don't.

No Corps that has not medaled before has ever gone from 8th to 3rd place the following season in modern DCI. Thats pretty much totally out of the question then, imo... Besides, which of the 3 that medaled this year would BK replace ? BD, Crown, Bluecoats ? I think BK might improve.. who knows... , but compete for a medal in 2016 ? Thats fantasy talk, imo.

But they didn't get 8th this year.

But they didn't get 8th this year.

I quickly changed that typo error.. I still maintain that its impossible for a Corps that has not medaled before to go from 6th to 3rd the following season. Competitive Inertia has substantive, long term historical value in DCI placements from season to season.. As such, I don't see BK jumping over SCV, Cadets AND at least one of the current 3 of BD, Crown, Bluecoats at Finals, less than 12 months away. I'd say its totally out of the realm of possibility and into the realm of nothing more than wishful fantasyland, imo. Its just not how DCI works, plain and simple.

Edited by BRASSO

I don't.

No Corps that has not medaled before has ever gone from 6th to 3rd place the following season in modern DCI. Thats pretty much totally out of the question then, imo... Besides, which of the 3 that medaled this year would BK replace ? BD, Crown, Bluecoats ? I think BK might improve.. who knows... , but compete for a medal in 2016 ? Thats fantasy talk, imo.

Bluecoats 2009, 6th place

Bluecoats 2010, 3rd place?

• Like 3

I'm going give a bold statement here. I think there are going to be 13 corps performing in finals in 2016. I will not be surprised if there is a tie for 12th. Its been close the last two years and i just think they're due for a tie. I also think Boston is going to give us a higher scoring show and will jump a couple of spots. I may be a little biased but i'm calling a crown championship.

If I am not mistaken..the system is set up so that there is no chance of a tie. Tie breakers do exist.