Corps on the Move in 2016 - Who to Watch?

2 corps from Open Class to watch:

Legends - 2015 was their best year ever. Recognized as the Most Improved in OC, Legends fielded their largest corps to date. They are well managed and with a little push, they can continue their rise in the OC ranks.

Louisiana Stars - For only the 2nd year in existence, and first full season on the field, what a terrific show they put on! Look for added growth toward respectability toward the top of the OC field in 2016.

2 corps to watchh in World Class:

Phantom - this corps has been saddled the last 2 years with slow starts and questionable design. A little new life and freshness can revive this once feared drum corps. This off season will be critical to their future direction.

Cavaliers - See Phantom above.

• Like 1

Another corps in Open Class to watch: River City Rhythm. In their first year as a drum and bugle corps (I know they already had a good drumline), they finished 9th in Open Class. Pretty good, I'd say.

• Like 1

one year success doesn't mean future success. Check out 2014 4th place guard and where they ended in 2015. Guard is one of those captions that can fluctuate year to year with talent levels and difficulty. You can hide brass parts but it's hard to hide guard parts.

That's why this is a "who to watch" thread and not a "we guarantee these will be good" thread.

On talent levels, there's no guarantee they will stay, but I know the Crossmen guard had a LOT of rookies. Every single one might leave, but if enough stay, that's reason for being on a watch list. In terms of difficulty, that would be up to the designers and staff, but I can't imagine they'll make the show simpler next year.

A Finals night with all 12 at 90 or above. Maybe not realistic . . . but what an absolute HOOT that would be!

Given the depressed scores this year, I was surprised we even saw seven corps above 90.

The most corps that have ever scored 90 in a single Finals is nine (most recently in 2013).

Given the depressed scores this year, I was surprised we even saw seven corps above 90.

The most corps that have ever scored 90 in a single Finals is nine (most recently in 2013).

Hey...a guy can wish, can't he? Or is the Blue Devils' message simply one of rhetoric? :colgate:

Two corps from Open Class to watch:

Legends -- 2015 was their best year ever. Recognized as the Most Improved in O.C., Legends fielded their largest corps to date. They are well managed and with a little push, they can continue their rise in the O.C. ranks.

Louisiana Stars -- For only their second year in existence, and first full season on the field, what a terrific show they put on! Look for added growth toward respectability toward the top of the O.C. field in 2016.

Of course, Racine Scouts were voted most improved just last year, but this year they started the season with just two horns.

But I both agree and hope that Legends' showing this year bodes well for their future.

Another one who seems to be progressing nicely is Columbians. I hope that they can make the trip to SoCal O.C. Championships in the near future. They almost certainly would have placed third at that contest this year. To judge from their scores vs. those in the midwest (which is risky), they were at least as good as Louisiana Stars.

Another corps in Open Class to watch: River City Rhythm. In their first year as a drum and bugle corps (I know they already had a good drumline), they finished 9th in Open Class. Pretty good, I'd say.

RCR was very good for their size, which I counted as 61 members. They beat the much larger Gold (126 members) in O.C. Prelims by half a tenth and only lost to them by three tenths in Finals--then passed them up again in W.C. Prelims, coming out nearly two points ahead.

Of course, Racine Scouts were voted most improved just last year, but this year they started the season with just two horns.

But I both agree and hope that Legends' showing this year bodes well for their future.

Another one who seems to be progressing nicely is Columbians. I hope that they can make the trip to SoCal O.C. Championships in the near future. They almost certainly would have placed third at that contest this year. To judge from their scores vs. those in the midwest (which is risky), they were at least as good as Louisiana Stars.

RCR was very good for their size, which I counted as 61 members. They beat the much larger Gold (126 members) in O.C. Prelims by half a tenth and only lost to them by three tenths in Finals--then passed them up again in W.C. Prelims, coming out nearly two points ahead.

Legends also got best director. They seem like a really solid organization behind the scenes too.

I'd love to see OC (really enjoyed their show this year) and troopers make a move up. Bluecoats winning their first gold would be amazing for all DCI fans imo. I also think Crown is going to be fired up and come back with a vengeance.

• Like 2

The big thing here with Bluecoats and possibly Blue Knights is that they may now see very few members move to Blue Devils, Cadets, SCV or especially Cavaliers or Phantom. That should give them a good shot at moving up, by default, although the reality is BD was very young this year so they are only going to reload.

The corps that needs to be serious this offseason is Vanguard, because with the rise of Bluecoats and BK they are in danger of falling back. And you cannot expect that Cavaliers will remain out of medal contention forever. Scores are rising across the board and for good reason. You can get better but fall back in the competitive rankings.

I completely agree with this. I think a lot of corps got a whole lot better this year, but look at the scores this year compared with last year. BD did a phenomenal job both last year and this year, but their score was two points lower. Scores were lower in general across the board, actually. So many corps are getting serious and rising, and SCV and a few others definitely need to watch out. I can see the Cavies getting back up there too. They've definitely done it before. I just don't think Bloo has quite reached their potential yet. I feel like they're super close to figuring out the right formula for the perfect show, but they're just not quite there yet. They've gotta get gold one of these years. BK might get up there too.

• Like 1