Phantom Regiment 2016

Tell us all! I'd like to hear.

I'd like to see the full product before I give my thoughts publicly.

I love Phantom and hope they do well!

• Like 1

Worth noting in regards to the 2010 comments... JD Shaw mentioned in a Marching Roundtable podcast that he took a lot of crap from alums in 2010 for programming such a "modern" show.

As has been mentioned on this board before, the powers that be (probably more numerous than one individual in charge) like for the corps to be a certain way. What we heard this evening is probably reflective of that way, and for better or worse, maybe this design is maxed out subject to those constraints.

• Like 2

Worth noting in regards to the 2010 comments... JD Shaw mentioned in a Marching Roundtable podcast that he took a lot of crap from alums in 2010 for programming such a "modern" show.

As has been mentioned on this board before, the powers that be (probably more numerous than one individual in charge) like for the corps to be a certain way. What we heard this evening is probably reflective of that way, and for better or worse, maybe this design is maxed out subject to those constraints.

I agree with you on this, but by that same logic, I would think that they could lasso Jim Wren in to help here and there with getting that Phantom Sound back.

Honestly, I think this show will work MUCH better when we see it on the field.

They sound like a talented group with lots of chops!

• Like 1

Well I certainly wasn't expecting to unload on Phantom tonight......

I'd like to see the full product before I give my thoughts publicly.

I love Phantom and hope they do well!

I'll do the same. I was about to unload my thoughts about the video, but I think it's best I wait until I see the actual show.

I'll be honest and say that I was dissapointed with the concert in the park stuff. And I've watched this video this day every year since 2011.

I felt like 2015 was a naive attempt to be modern (e.g., the Sinatra quotes, jazzy piano in the Clair de Lune). Like a dad telling dad jokes to impress his kid's friends. It was modern for the Regiment, just not modern for the activity.

I think some modern flair could still be added to this show. It's still early.

I don't think the overall approach to the show or the presentation of it was at all modern. Their 2005 show seemed more modern than 2015. I'm not really talking about incorporation modern elements like the ones you mentioned, I'm talking overall approach and arc through the show on every level.

Someone brought up 2010. THAT'S what I'm getting at. Visual design was impossible to clean, guard was relatively really weak, but if you replaced those two weaknesses with championship caliber visual design and guard and they would have been in the fight for 3rd or 4th in my book. That show still has people talking. Here's where I think they could take a page from that book. They based that whole show on one piece of pretty modern music with a very broad theme that was communicated brilliantly. It was a production. It was an experience. And it still sold off as distinctly Phantom Regiment. I'm glad they finally stepped away from rehashing old stuff I guess.

Personally I feel like the mid 2000's were the golden age for Phantom so I don't really mind the older style programming. They haven't really shown that they're capable of doing modern properly (very few corps to me have demonstrated this, I think BD, Crown, Bloo, BK, and SCV are the only ones who do it well). Honestly I'll be really sad if they get rid of their 10 minute long ballad type of shows so I'm gonna enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

The thing is though I feel like they are getting slowly but surely left behind. Everyone else is evolving, trying new things, and succeeding at it from 1st to 22nd. And a lot of them are doing it while maintaining their identities. I don't see why Phantom can't do the same. I'm not saying they need to be super progressive in being innovators and game changers (though I'd love that), but I think they are SEVERELY overdue for an update in their approach. That doesn't mean abandoning their identity, type of music, or whatever. They just need to do it in a way that works. Their finals performances the last two years were SO inspired and energetic, but they deserved so much more in the show they were given. They have been totally stagnant for 3 seasons, slowly getting passed by other corps. My first impression about 2016 is more of the same. Not hating, just my brutally honest opinion, which some people on here say I need to do more of so there it is.
I love Phantom, just my personal opinions and a little tough love. I WANT them to succeed so badly.
Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

Well I certainly wasn't expecting to unload on Phantom tonight......

I'll do the same. I was about to unload my thoughts about the video, but I think it's best I wait until I see the actual show.

I'll be honest and say that I was dissapointed with the concert in the park stuff. And I've watched this video this day every year since 2011.

I don't think the overall approach to the show or the presentation of it was at all modern. Their 2005 show seemed more modern than 2015. I'm not really talking about incorporation modern elements like the ones you mentioned, I'm talking overall approach and arc through the show on every level.

Someone brought up 2010. THAT'S what I'm getting at. Visual design was impossible to clean, guard was relatively really weak, but if you replaced those two weaknesses with championship caliber visual design and guard and they would have been in the fight for 3rd or 4th in my book. That show still has people talking. Here's where I think they could take a page from that book. They based that whole show on one piece of pretty modern music with a very broad theme that was communicated brilliantly. It was a production. It was an experience. And it still sold off as distinctly Phantom Regiment. I'm glad they finally stepped away from rehashing old stuff I guess.

The thing is though I feel like they are getting slowly but surely left behind. Everyone else is evolving, trying new things, and succeeding at it from 1st to 22nd. And a lot of them are doing it while maintaining their identities. I don't see why Phantom can't do the same. I'm not saying they need to be super progressive in being innovators and game changers (though I'd love that), but I think they are SEVERELY overdue for an update in their approach. That doesn't mean abandoning their identity, type of music, or whatever. They just need to do it in a way that works. Their finals performances the last two years were SO inspired and energetic, but they deserved so much more in the show they were given. They have been totally stagnant for 3 seasons, slowly getting passed by other corps. My first impression about 2016 is more of the same. Not hating, just my brutally honest opinion, which some people on here say I need to do more of so there it is.

I love Phantom, just my personal opinions and a little tough love. I WANT them to succeed so badly.

To each their own! I enjoyed PR 2010 quite a bit but I also enjoyed Juliet and Turandot just as much. Basically if there is emotion in the music (and multiple ballads), I'm going to enjoy the Phantom Regiment show. Those are really my only requirements as those are the sole reasons why phantom is my favorite corps

We're in agreement. I'm saying that the 2015 designers probably thought "hey, we're really spicing things up" when in reality they weren't. Like I said, it was a naive attempt.

Not that this would usher Regiment into a new era, but I wish that the YPG variations would've been used throughout as transitions. It'd add some design depth and prepare us a bit for YPG at the end.

• Like 1

Agreed. That's the exception. Think that show with a good Thompson visual package and a 2012 quality guard could have been dangerous.

No one could have interpreted that show as brilliantly as Myron did, including Thompson.

• Like 1

For some historical context here, for several years now, Phantom Regiment has performed this Exhibition here in this park, and every year the comments from DCP'ers are posted here. We can go back easily to look at the DCP reviews of all these Phantom Regiment exhibitions, and on the whole, all of them pretty much are negative reviews. Some are from the same DCP posters too. Some comments state that Phantom Regiment will be lucky to make Finals after watching the standstill exhibition with no Guard, no Visuals, etc. Funny as all hell, imo. One can still retrieve these comments from previous years, if one is so inclined to do so. Its all there. The lesson here ? Take all these mostly negative comments on Phantom's exhibition last nite with a heaping grain of salt. That would be my 2 cents worth of unsolicited advice, anyway.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5