Phantom Regiment 2016

Yes, I would agree that there is lots of work for Phantom Regiment to do on the dynamics of the brass playing, where much of the playing was the same levels at the moment. I'm sure that'll be added. I was a bit surprised with the tempo utilized in " Young Person's Guide.... ". Anybody else here think the tempo seemed a bit rushed with it here, or was this the tempo they want ? Oh well, its a standstill in June. The brass line does have the MM talent it looks like to me for the staff to forge changes,deletions, tweaks, and whatnot and to accomplish their goals.

Edited by BRASSO

.Here's the performance for those who missed it. Starts at 2:45

This is already lightyears better than last year. Amazing what choosing a non-juvenile theme and music book can do.

• Like 1

Here's my two cents:

Shostakovich opener was great, no complaints there. Weird transition to the Adams, and I wish I could hear more of that piece. AVC didn't do much for me, mostly due to another weird transition.

As someone else eluded to, they tend to have abrupt transitions until tour begins. They refine them once the drill is on the field and they have a better idea of counts vs staging, etc. As for the King brass, that angle was not the best, and they don't play out just yet. I could tell they are holding back a lot.

Just wanted to post this to show how huge of a difference their shows are from Music in the Park to the end of the season. It seems Phantom deliberately arranges music without built in transitions so that they can organically create transitions as the season moves on. Not only that, but large portions of music get cut out and replaced, certain voices are added or taken out of parts to increase layering/increase clarity, chords are adjusted for better depth or to allow higher voices to add the exclamation mark, tempos are sped up or slowed down, etc. Phantom has also had the odd habit of not really letting the horns let loose until towards the end of the season so dynamics are not as accentuated as a result.

It doesn't make sense though. Why not just have a better arranged show from the beginning of the season? Why would you have really bad awkward transitions in the first place? Why would you have big sections that you cut out and redo completely? Everyone layers. That's not new.

The description you just gave makes it sound like they intentionally come out with a weaker initial product and wait to make it better. Why not make it better in the first place? I can't think of a good reason for that.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 3

.Here's the performance for those who missed it. Starts at 2:45

Thank you for posting this! What a great sneak preview! Sounds like a beautiful show. YPG never gets old. I like their arrangement. Well done. Edited by drumcorpsfever

I gave it another listen. Sigh...

A couple measures of Adams as a transition after the Shostakovich? Not digging that at all. The tempo of YPG guide was way too fast. You can get away with that with some pieces but I don't feel this is one of them. It simply ended up sounding frantic. Relax the tempo and let it develop! I hope they bring the visuals and GE, they're going to need it.

Edited by Brian Tuma

It doesn't make sense though. Why not just have a better arranged show from the beginning of the season? Why would you have really bad awkward transitions in the first place? Why would you have big sections that you cut out and redo completely? Everyone layers. That's not new.

The description you just gave makes it sound like they intentionally come out with a weaker initial product and wait to make it better. Why not make it better in the first place? I can't think of a good reason for that.

I've learned this after a couple seasons of designing for WGI. What you think and what the judges think can be close or complete opposites. Their approach give's a chance for you to perform it for the judges and they can say develope it or change it. It's easier IMO to change something less developed later on than something you already made a moment.

I've learned this after a couple seasons of designing for WGI. What you think and what the judges think can be close or complete opposites. Their approach give's a chance for you to perform it for the judges and they can say develope it or change it. It's easier IMO to change something less developed later on than something you already made a moment.

I'm not new to that, I'm well aware of that. To me that's not what he was describing. Everyone layers, everyone leaves sections of their shows that will evolve, change, and blossom. I don't understand why you would have really bad transitions and parts of the show that just do not work every single year for at least three years straight now. It's not like their final placement the past few shows backs that approach up any.