Phantom Regiment 2016

There is a lot to be said in reaction to the concert.

But to start, to earlier comments that allude to the view that last year's concept was "juvenile", I disagree. While it may have

been on the lighter side of show themes, such is something the corps has a history of doing well. In my opinion,

while it had its moments, it lacked sophistication and innovation, issues my team has struggled with for too long

IMO.

The positive:

The music sounds like it relies on visual to complete/fully realize effect. A uncommon take for Regiment. Shows visual/GE promise.

The top of each section sound strong as usual.

There is a good variety of colors in the brass writing, due largely to ranges.

The variety in styles/periods offers good variety.

Nothing sounds weak; no sections sound weak.

Most of the musical pacing is good.

The small brass ensemble sounds amazing.

The perhaps not so positive:

The corps sounds good, not great. There seems to be a lack of depth in a few sections, particularly low brass, pit, tenors.

The drumline writing is often uninteresting and a bit hacky.

The front ensemble utilization and use of electronics seems underwhelming (an ongoing PR competitive issue).

The ballad seems really old school, like 1977–79. It just starts and then offers little interest or intrigue.

The closer just doesn't seem fully realized.

Compared to the other 10 or so corps that I have heard, this seems behind in quality and creativity. Comes across as bottom

12 instead of top 7 or so.

All that said, I appreciate that they sound like no one else. I wish them all the best. I have an ongoing fear that Dan just cannnot

move forward from an creative and innovation stand point in order to remain top 7, this summer, or ever.

There is a lot to be said in reaction to the concert.

But to start, to earlier comments that allude to the view that last year's concept was "juvenile", I disagree. While it may have

been on the lighter side of show themes, such is something the corps has a history of doing well. In my opinion,

while it had its moments, it lacked sophistication and innovation, issues my team has struggled with for too long

IMO.

The positive:

The music sounds like it relies on visual to complete/fully realize effect. A uncommon take for Regiment. Shows visual/GE promise.

The top of each section sound strong as usual.

There is a good variety of colors in the brass writing, due largely to ranges.

The variety in styles/periods offers good variety.

Nothing sounds weak; no sections sound weak.

Most of the musical pacing is good.

The small brass ensemble sounds amazing.

The perhaps not so positive:

The corps sounds good, not great. There seems to be a lack of depth in a few sections, particularly low brass, pit, tenors.

The drumline writing is often uninteresting and a bit hacky.

The front ensemble utilization and use of electronics seems underwhelming (an ongoing PR competitive issue).

The ballad seems really old school, like 197779. It just starts and then offers little interest or intrigue.

The closer just doesn't seem fully realized.

Compared to the other 10 or so corps that I have heard, this seems behind in quality and creativity. Comes across as bottom

12 instead of top 7 or so.

All that said, I appreciate that they sound like no one else. I wish them all the best. I have an ongoing fear that Dan just cannnot

move forward from an creative and innovation stand point in order to remain top 7, this summer, or ever.

What surprises me was the electronic comment. Rob Ferguson has like a rock show going on every year at Matrix and Derrick Shannon is another big electronic sample person at Goshen.

While changes definitely did happen in all these corps (I think a change in the closer is assumed for all corps nowadays), it wasn't to the scale that a lot of these Phantom shows end up going through.

Note that the 2010 show, which has been mentioned in this thread several times with reverential sentiment, changed very little from the start of the season.

I'd say the 2015 show changed considerably throughout because of a lackluster initial design that was met poorly by the judging community. One of the more redesigned Regiment shows in recent memory.

• Like 2

The two-ballad format is definitely something we haven't seen from Phantom in a while, I think the last time they did that was '93.

2011 was also pretty ballad heavy. But otherwise, you might be right on 93.

I gave it another listen. Sigh...

A couple measures of Adams as a transition after the Shostakovich? Not digging that at all. The tempo of YPG guide was way to fast. You can get away with that with some pieces but I don't feel this is one of them. It simply ended up sounding frantic. Relax the tempo and let it develop! I hope they bring the visuals and GE, they're going to need it.

And they have yet another new visual designer and caption head. The instability isn't in their favor. Edited by phd-student-TTU
  • Like 1

Note that the 2010 show, which has been mentioned in this thread several times with reverential sentiment, changed very little from the start of the season.

I'd say the 2015 show changed considerably throughout because of a lackluster initial design that was met poorly by the judging community. One of the more redesigned Regiment shows in recent memory.

And yet their placement wasn't really that much better than the past 3 years Edited by Cappybara

And the changes that were enacted made the show worse IMO. I wish I still had my APD of that show from July, before most of the ending was turned backfield. So much more powerful and effective.

Edited by Hrothgar15

And yet their placement wasn't really that much better than the past 3 years

I don't think this is really a discussion of placement, it's a discussion of design and the maturity of design early in the season. My point being that the 2010 show started off with a solid design (or a design that they were too deep into that they didn't want to change much, regardless of the reason). I love watching a show evolve over the season, but trajectory can be a function of the initial condition.

But with regard to placement, (i) placements don't happen in a vacuum, as there are other corps performing with varying talent levels, and (ii) Regiment was rebounding from a 9th place finish in 2009.

I don't think this is really a discussion of placement, it's a discussion of design and the maturity of design early in the season. My point being that the 2010 show started off with a solid design (or a design that they were too deep into that they didn't want to change much, regardless of the reason). I love watching a show evolve over the season, but trajectory can be a function of the initial condition.

But with regard to placement, (i) placements don't happen in a vacuum, as there are other corps performing with varying talent levels, and (ii) Regiment was rebounding from a 9th place finish in 2009.

Your last statement is key. New staff in 2010, completely different visual package. It must have been a challenging transition yet they pulled off one of my top five favorite shows from any corps, any year.