Phantom Regiment 2016

80/81

So I will ask this.....what did you learn from being with them for two years? You marched in 1980 so I'm sure the expectation was that Phantom would continue to place near the top or perhaps make the top after the 3 prior years. They didn't. Yet, you went back for 1981 and they didn't make it again. They placed the same. Yet you went back.

It would take another 15 years until they tied for the top. It would take another 12 years after that until they had their own title.

Hundreds/(thousands?) have tried out for the corps over the years and continue to try out for the corps. They don't have a history of winning to support the desire to belong to the corps. Yet every year they fill the ranks and have alternates. These people are proud to have been a part of the corps.

I see so many people on here who have marched with a corps and to this day still continue to support the corps they marched in no matter what.

I see a few who to me really haven't learned what belonging to a corps is about.

Edited by Fish

As a former member (as identified below), I was fortunate enough to have come in at the beginning of their accent (so to speak) in '76. However, I had no illusions of them being a top tier corps nor did I even have that as an expectation when I joined. That said, indeed the evolution of the activity does not appear to lend itself to the style of show the corps chooses to put on the field. Nor would I want them to follow the likes of Coats or BD. That's not to say that I dislike either of those corps. Thus, I am resigned to accepting that unless there is some dramatic shift backwards in what is considered innovative/evolution, it appears the corps (Regiment) will place anywhere between 6th and (God forbid) 12th. And ya know what, I'm almost okay with that. If they are putting out a decent show (like this year) it's okay with me. Sure it would be nice to have more than two championships (a few in the 70's would have been nice, cough, cough). But I support them no matter what.

SUTA on Regiment!

Edited by Rocketman
  • Like 1

SCV finished 8th in 2005, and 7th in 1980, 1992, 1993, 2008 and 2010.

That's interesting, because I could swear that the TV crew on the premier broadcast said they'd never finished below sixth.

So I will ask this.....what did you learn from being with them for two years? You marched in 1980 so I'm sure the expectation was that Phantom would continue to place near the top or perhaps make the top after the 3 prior years. They didn't. Yet, you went back for 1981 and they didn't make it again. They placed the same. Yet you went back.

It would take another 15 years until they tied for the top. It would take another 12 years after that until they had their own title.

Hundreds/(thousands?) have tried out for the corps over the years and continue to try out for the corps. They don't have a history of winning to support the desire to belong to the corps. Yet every year they fill the ranks and have alternates. These people are proud to have been a part of the corps.

I see so many people on here who have marched with a corps and to this day still continue to support the corps they marched in no matter what.

I see a few who to me really haven't learned what belonging to a corps is about.

The experience was one I'll never forget. I didn't join with the goal to win...Here's a little back ground...I was born in Rockford but my family moved to South Carolina where I spent most of my childhood. From a musical perspective, I started very young at one of the top schools at the time. The foundation I received was far better than what most bands members across the country received at the time. Being from Rockford I knew about Phantom and followed then in 77,78,79. The only corps I followed at that time were BD, SCV and Phantom. During my soph. year in High school my family decided to move back to Rockford. Needless to say seeing Phantom live became a quest. My Dad reluctantly agreed. After hearing them warm up prior to practice at Boylan, Red Christiansen asked what I thought. I later learned in life that that moment would almost equal the feeling I got at my first daughters Birth. I remember being asked by several people about my musical back ground. For those that don't know I am one of only a few in the country to make All State Band 5 consecutive years, starting in the 8th Grade. My Band at that time was one of the best in the country but not known for Marching. (North Augusta High) in S.C.

Anyway, once it's in your blood its there forever. In 82 I went back but due to family issues had to withdraw from the corp.

I can't speak for anyone past those dates. I can tell you that the group of people I shared that part of my life with, were by far the hardest workers I had every come across musically and very prideful of our performances. I doubt that has changed. The friendships developed and the experiences we went through transcended Phantom the corp. It's about the Phamily.

Hope this makes sense.

• Like 3

The experience was one I'll never forget. I didn't join with the goal to win...Here's a little back ground...I was born in Rockford but my family moved to South Carolina where I spent most of my childhood. From a musical perspective, I started very young at one of the top schools at the time. The foundation I received was far better than what most bands members across the country received at the time. Being from Rockford I knew about Phantom and followed then in 77,78,79. The only corps I followed at that time were BD, SCV and Phantom. During my soph. year in High school my family decided to move back to Rockford. Needless to say seeing Phantom live became a quest. My Dad reluctantly agreed. After hearing them warm up prior to practice at Boylan, Red Christiansen asked what I thought. I later learned in life that that moment would almost equal the feeling I got at my first daughters Birth. I remember being asked by several people about my musical back ground. For those that don't know I am one of only a few in the country to make All State Band 5 consecutive years, starting in the 8th Grade. My Band at that time was one of the best in the country but not known for Marching. (North Augusta High) in S.C.

Anyway, once it's in your blood its there forever. In 82 I went back but due to family issues had to withdraw from the corp.

I can't speak for anyone past those dates. I can tell you that the group of people I shared that part of my life with, were by far the hardest workers I had every come across musically and very prideful of our performances. I doubt that has changed. The friendships developed and the experiences we went through transcended Phantom the corp. It's about the Phamily.

Hope this makes sense.

That is a great post!