MADISON SCOUTS 2016

I think it would be great if DCI would give all active duty corps fans, deployed overseas, complimentary subscriptions to DCI Live!

That might be something the Board of Directors can discuss....

Thank all of you for your service!!!!

Or next season those of us enjoying our freedeoms could pony up. You're hearts in the right place, but our hands should be in our pockets, bot DCI's. IMHO

• Like 1

Even if you don't want to that new ending forces you to get up and say "Alright, Alright you win, I'll cheer!!!!"

I'm glad to hear that....it didn't feel that way on video at all, unfortunately. The old ending seemwd more "complete". (?)

It's hard to know where to begin.

Your publicly announcing that you don't care about theme, story, and artistic meaning is like saying you go to a museum to look at the hot guys.

Frankly, I "read up" on the shows mostly because I want to see how the publicity people and show coordinators hide their unpreparedness, early season. Show announcements and descriptions are a new form of comedy-- they're like traffic court defense depositions and fifth grade book reports. Most of the time, corps end up with a show that is not the show they announced, the titles are intentionally chosen for their vagueness (Voice of Promise), and show descriptions reveal there's no more thematic understructure than a cloud formation.

Story and theme isn't the problem. Awkwardly adapted stories and tepid themes are the problem, as Madison and Phantom demonstrate this year. But the well staged stories and themes have vaulted this activity into the realm of a legitimate performance art versus an embarrassing commercial for the military industrial complex, which it was in the 60's and 70's.

Come on, we're talking about drum corps here, not art. All I want is good music, good drill and good guard work. As a whole, the activity is moving away from those three basic concepts that the activity was founded on. You do not need to know what these shows are about to enjoy.

Were I going to a museum, I would research what art is there, and read up on the pieces I like. Again, we're talking about freaking band - not art.

<content removed>

Again, we are talking about drum corps here, not theater. I doubt very much most of the paying audience doesn't even know there's a main character in Madison's show, they probably have zero clue what Blue Knights' show is about, they probably have no clue what BD is trying to say. This isn't some high level for profit activity.

• Like 2

I get where you are coming from. I love their show. To me, it is one of the most entertaining shows of the year. I understand, in a way, where others are coming from. I think it's just disappointment. I am, myself, shocked. When I saw Madison before the season started, I thought this show was going to be in the running for 6th. I really can't even put my finger on what's happened. I am just shocked, honestly.

I do think Academy's staff is genius. They designed a very well designed show, that works within the limitations of the members talent (I mean let's be real, they don't have the talent of the top tier corps). It has paid off. If their objective was to make finals, they very well may need to achieve it.

Madison, IMO, needs a complete and total overhaul. They've got to stop revisiting shows that were successful in the past. I know we haven't seen that every year. I feel like if I fell asleep in 1989 and woke up today, and watched a uniformless Bloo or Crown, I would think Bloo must be Madison and Crown must be Regiment. I think both Regiment and Madison are suffering from the same problem - trying to remain true to their past. Time's have changed, and DCI has changed, it is time to move on and evolve.

I hope Madison can somehow pull a miracle out of their hats and right this ship in the next couple of weeks, but I am not holding my breath.

Since 1990, Scouts has revisited City of Angels ('91), the 2010 show ('75), and Judas/JCSS ('99). That's not a lot of revisiting. I don't count the '95 and '96 shows because completely different music was used in each one and as for Reframed ('12), technically it wasn't revisiting a specific show from the past. It was an original show that contained music from the past. I know you didn't mention this next part but other people have, the music being too "chop and bop", not playing full songs, etc.. The arranger for this show is the exact same arranger from the original '99 show, I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing.

Since 1990, Scouts has revisited City of Angels ('91), the 2010 show ('75), and Judas/JCSS ('99). That's not a lot of revisiting. I don't count the '95 and '96 shows because completely different music was used in each one and as for Reframed ('12), technically it wasn't revisiting a specific show from the past. It was an original show that contained music from the past. I know you didn't mention this next part but other people have, the music being too "chop and bop", not playing full songs, etc.. The arranger for this show is the exact same arranger from the original '99 show, I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing.

Well, they are certainly struggling this year. After the great show they had last year, this year's is a bit of a let down. I do think it's much better today than it was in San Antonio.

I was able to see the Scouts several times while they were in Ca. I have watched this show get better as this season has progressed,this show may not be some peoples favorite for different reasons...but it is one of my favorites!! As the true biblical story goes Judas did try to hang himself,its just not clear if he died that way, or if the rope broke and he then fell to his death.

I was able to see the Scouts several times while they were in Ca. I have watched this show get better as this season has progressed,this show may not be some peoples favorite for different reasons...but it is one of my favorites!! As the true biblical story goes Judas did try to hang himself,its just not clear if he died that way, or if the rope broke and he then fell to his death.

It's a fable in most parts of planet earth.. it's all good