The Cavaliers 2016

I'm admittedly old school, and politics don't belong out on the field. A month from now, I have to wonder if the signs disappear or not.

45 years ago The Cadets put a peace sign on the field, and you bet your ### it was political. 5 seconds of audio just isn't going to get me worked up.

Mike

• Like 5

I disagree with you but respect your opinions. My question is... Do your thoughts of "keeping politics off the field" just refer to the Cavies of 2016 or does it also apply to such groups as the 1971 Garfield Cadets and their self described "No More War" show?

Propaganda is a real thing that all of us have to interpret everyday. We see and hear what we want, but that doesn't mean the messager said anything more than just a few craftily arranged words.

To hide the current events would be a disservice to the meaning of their show. And honestly, if they had ignored current events, it could be construed as too "PC".

• Like 3

I disagree with you but respect your opinions. My question is... Do your thoughts of "keeping politics off the field" just refer to the Cavies of 2016 or does it also apply to such groups as the 1971 Garfield Cadets and their self described "No More War" show?

Propaganda is a real thing that all of us have to interpret everyday. We see and hear what we want, but that doesn't mean the messager said anything more than just a few craftily arranged words.

To hide the current events would be a disservice to the meaning of their show. And honestly, if they had ignored current events, it could be construed as too "PC".

Well said.

• Like 3

Maybe they can replace it with a Mercedes-Benz advertisement.

True story that can be verified by others from the early 1970s: Garfield Cadets' drill designer Bobby Hoffman told the American Legion officials that the peace in their 1972 "No More War" show was a Mercedes Benz symbol.

• Like 2

I'm admittedly old school, and politics don't belong out on the field...

Politics belongs on the field when we personally agree with the sentiments being expressed. Politics doesn't belong on the field when we personally disagree with the sentiments being expressed.

• Like 4

Politics belongs on the field when we personally agree with the sentiments being expressed. Politics doesn't belong on the field when we personally disagree with the sentiments being expressed.

Politics that finds its way onto the field of DCI never concerned me in the least. Politics that finds its way off the field within DCI concerns me far, far greater, frankly. What a Corps does with a show theme display on the field is nothing but play time, imo. Its never real. Politics off the field is the real deal. So lets be sure we recognize play time and the real stuff here.

• Like 3

No big deal, but the "No More War" show was 1972. The Cadets' 1971 show was "America the Brave, 1776."

No big deal

but The Cadets' "No More War" show was 1972. 1971 was "America the Brave - 1776."

Well said.

Just to clarify: 1971 was The Cadets' 1971 show, "America the Brave - 1776." The "No More War" show was 1972.

• Like 1

Even when I personally agree with the sentiments being expressed, I don't think politics belongs on the field. I don't think it's OK to interfere with someone else's enjoyment of the show just to get in a cheap shot or score a political point, whether it is one I agree with or not. I want everyone to be able to enjoy the show no matter who they vote for. I guess there is something wrong with me.

Why are we talking about politics whenever our Cavies are starting out with a bang this year?

Scores as of 6/29/16

1. The Cavaliers 73.1
- Bluecoats 73.1
3. Carolina Crown 71.8
4. Blue Devils 71.4
5. The Cadets 70.8
6. Santa Clara 69.25
7. Blue Stars 67.8
8. Phantom 67
9. Troopers 66.6
10. Madison 65.3
11. Crossmen 63.6