A Modest Proposal, Part 2 : The Cadets Win the 2015 Fred Sanford Award

Maybe a member of the brass staff turned on the loud metronome, so you might be able to penalize them in both brass and percussion :smile:

What if Clara turned it on? Eek.

WTH is a ten year old doing around the met? A caption is going to rely on tempo from a ten year old?

My answer is only equal to your over-sensitivity to the OP's intention.

Surely you don't think any rule change such as this would in any way change BD's ability to win, do you?

Boy, I sure don't. That machine is so lean and nimble that I think any such changes would affect them very little.

In fact, if I understand his averaging proposal correctly, it would likely result in more BD wins, not less, because it would judge consistency to a higher bar.

So I'm not convinced either of these crazy notions are about BD. Even if it is fun to poke sticks at you guys.

Is Plan9 your compatriot?

:tounge2:

Edited by garfield

Question: How, actually, is this "No Met" policy enforced in the warm-up area? Is there a roving DCI judge with a clipboard? Does he observe and assess without interaction with the corps so as to not affect the upcoming performance?

If a judge has to assess the captions using the met at that moment, it could get messy. And, for the same reason as above, he absolutely should not interact with the corps or give them any indication that might deflate their enthusiasm for their performance. Hate to kill their chance before they even play.

When did BD staff know they were being assessed a penalty on Thursday? Before the corps performed? After the corps performed but before scores were announced? Or not until scores were announced?

Last year, there were DCP posters at home watching DCA Finals on their computers who knew that Hawthorne Caballeros had been penalized at least a half-hour before most of us at the stadium learned it. That was because one of them was in touch with Cabs staff, who learned about their (in-show) penalty well before scores were announced.

(Also, I've bolded that phrase in your post because "No Met" is exactly what was said to the Reading Buccaneers, who went on third from the end at DCA Finals but ended up winning [not due to the Cabs' penalty, as it turned out], by their drum major from her podium just before she started their show.)

wah wah wah why did BD have to win again :'(

give it a rest. we bd fans were fully expecting crown to take it, and were at peace with it. i

• Like 2

When did BD staff know they were being assessed a penalty on Thursday? Before the corps performed? After the corps performed but before scores were announced? Or not until scores were announced?

Last year, there were DCP posters at home watching DCA Finals on their computers who knew that Hawthorne Caballeros had been penalized at least a half-hour before most of us at the stadium learned it. That was because one of them was in touch with Cabs staff, who learned about their (in-show) penalty well before scores were announced.

(Also, I've bolded that phrase in your post because "No Met" is exactly what was said to the Reading Buccaneers, who went on third from the end at DCA Finals but ended up winning [not due to the Cabs' penalty, as it turned out], by their drum major from her podium just before she started their show.)

Often times a chief judge/t&p person will let the corps know of the infraction as they leave the field.

Why should only drums be affected? After all, the percussion caption also affects music analysis and GE music, does it not?

• Like 1

I don't think they should have penalties from warmup infractions. I think they should just tell the corps to knock off what they are doing wrong

I think warmups should be monitored more closely than they are. At multiple shows every year, during the ballad of the corps on the field, I can hear other corps warming up. Not Finals of course, since that's an indoor venue.

wah wah wah why did BD have to win again :'(

give it a rest. we bd fans were fully expecting crown to take it, and were at peace with it. i

That's not the point at all...

• Like 1

My thesis is that, for purposes of calculating DCI's caption awards, any penalty assessed against a corps should be assessed against the caption total associated with the penalty.

In 2015, the Blue Devils were assessed ( according to certain posters on DCP's Blue Devils 2015 "Ink" site - see pages 80-1, posts 793, 794 and 804) a 0.50 penalty for using a Dr. Beat (a loud metronome) during a Prelims warmup.

On the Prelims Recap, the 0.50 penalty is noted in the Penalties column as an offset to the Blue Devils' Sub-Total of 95.850, a seemingly benign "what was that for?" impact.

My argument is that, for purposes of determining Caption Award winners, the 0.50 penalty should be specifically assessed against the Blue Devils' Music Percussion score. Since there were 2 percussion judges, just take 0.50 off of the original averaged percussion score of 19.30, thus resulting in a revised Music Percussion score of 18.80 in Prelims.

Utilizing this 18.80 in the averaging formula used by DCI to determine Caption award results, the top 5 percussion ensembles of DCI in 2015 were 1. The Cadets 19.45,

2. Bluecoats 19.35, 3. SCV 19.33, 4. Blue Devils 19.32 and 5. Carolina Crown 18.85

Hail The Cadets!

Ha

can't tell if you're just being silly or not.

Obviously we don't really know 100% if they were penalized for percussion Dr. Beat: could've been a visual block or guard, right?

Cadets likely could've won DCI with a better performance Finals night; I heard their snares in particular had a rough run

I think this whole average or not average debate doesn't really matter when...

SCV goes from 1st (19.5) in Prelims to 4th at Finals (19.2)

BD's 2nd Judge's Content score goes from 95 (4th in Prelims) to 99 (1st Semis & Finals). This kind of jump in Achievement make sense but this shows how the judging wasn't as consistent here.

If the winner is determined Saturday night on just that performance, I believe all the captions should be as well.

&

Also, if there is going to be 2nd percussion judge there should be a 2nd judge for color guard and brass. If not, just have 1 percussion judge like those other.

If these were the case (with 1 judge each), Bluecoats take Percussion, but Cadets still win Brass, and BD still wins CG.