Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

Just out of curiosity, anyone know if the members get to keep those uniforms? (aka will there be something new next year?)

I'm pretty sure they will have a different uniform next year.

I can't begin to express how proud I am of this corps. I remember the first time I saw the slides in Spring Training and thought, "Oh, man ... I don't know if this is going to fly." But as I saw layer upon layer added to the show, I just marveled at the genius. This corps came flying out of the gate and never looked back. I am so happy for everyone in this organization, from David Glasgow to the souvie volunteers. The staff is at the top of their game, and I can't wait to see what they come up with next. But the biggest shout out goes to the mms ... You have my undying respect. Congratulations!

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

I can't begin to express how proud I am of this corps. I remember the first time I saw the slides in Spring Training and thought, "Oh, man ... I don't know if this is going to fly." But as I saw layer upon layer added to the show, I just marveled at the genius. This corps came flying out of the gate and never looked back. I am so happy for everyone in this organization, from David to the souvie volunteers. The staff is at the top of their game, and I can't wait to see what they come up with next. But the biggest shout out goes to the mms ... You have my undying respect. Congratulations!

So here is my question. Given the collective history of the folks behind Bluecoats, what took them so long to finally take the training wheels off and run with their instincts? Down Side Up is pretty much a much larger scale and more focused version of the basic concept behind Blast!

So here is my question. Given the collective history of the folks behind Bluecoats, what took them so long to finally take the training wheels off and run with their instincts? Down Side Up is pretty much a much larger scale and more focused version of the basic concept behind Blast!

You have to walk before you can run. TILT was the beginning, Kinetic Noise the second, now we have Down Side Up. I'm pretty sure the staff had Blast in mind as well. Even to the setup of the Front Ensemble. And, I'm pretty sure next year will blaze new grounds as well.

• Like 1

Jeff, one of the AWESOME things that has happened in recent years with the Bluecoats is the bond that has developed between the current corps and its past members, staff and volunteers.

The 2016 kids have been told and know of people like Larry and Ted Swaldo and many others. It really has become a family...and the celebration has just begun!

I've seen it. I was recruited too but it was Bones or DCA for me and college chose DCA

I think the distinct shift in direction occurred in 2001-2002. This is the era where the corps had come back in to finals (2000) and were intentionally making 'competitive' design and staffing decisions. That 'Latin Sketches' show was the jump to 8th. They never scored out of the 90s again and by 2005 they were a top 5 corps. They hovered in that range for a while during Crown's similar transformation.

I'm very proud to have been there in 2001... there was a clear change, and it was exciting. Out of that age-out group came David Glasgow... the rest is a slow methodical history to the top.

Edit:

I forgot to mention that this was the same era that introduced the Texas contingent as part of the audition camp process. The camp system is even more robust and wide-spread today, reaching talent from every corner of the country and both coasts. It's important to have the talent to write contending shows for.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 1

Geez... I waited too long to congratulate the Bluecoats ( although I did so on the Finals thread after I saw their performance and was convinced they had won, as a result. ).

Congratulations to the Bluecoats. You received a well deserved victory, with a very creative, entertaining, Show Design, that was performed superbly on Finals Night !

• Like 1

I have pulled for Bloo for a long time- seeing promise at eventually winning, but also creating programs that were fun to watch. As drum corps fans, it seems everyone likes seeing new blood in the mix. I was equally thrilled for Academy this year. Could watch and listen to that show over and over.

• Like 1