Announcements of next seasons' shows

I guess I could be wrong and have to go back and read the topic, but I thought the overall vibe towards The Cadets on here UNTIL around Atlanta or so when they slid from 1st was as follows:

1) Looking forward to what seems like is going to be a show that focuses on two things, marching fast and playing hard music.

2) Loving the openness of Hopkins into the design process and evolution of their show from day one, letting us know what the motivations were, what was added, what was taken away, and what we had to look forward to.

3) Lots of continued excitement about the upcoming season.

4) Lots of support for the videos and webcasts we got throughout the year.

I dunno, everything was awesome about 2015 for The Cadets from the moment they announced they'd be doing Shosty 10, until that night in Murfreesboro. Overwhelming positive support for the show, the kids, Hopkins openness to what they were doing, and how much insight we got. Did scores really change things THAT much? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but Cadets announcing early and then giving us glimpses throughout the year was a pretty awesome and well received thing...........I personally hope for the same in 2016.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

I don't think you got the joke, however poorly in taste;

Pearl Harbor...bombed...savvy?

I probably should have added this: :laughing: but I was rushing and had to run out. I knew he was joking.

I probably should have added this: :laughing: but I was rushing and had to run out. I knew he was joking.

Got it.

God no. People don't like when Cadets tell a story or when Cadets DON'T tell a story.

People like when the CADETS become innovators and do something different .

Like Blue Devils , Crown ,Bluecoats , Cavies , Blue Knights, Crossmen , Colts .

2015-Power of 10

2014 -President's show

2013- those boxes

2012 -Christmas

2011-Angels and Demons --OK even though a HS band did this first . I give points here.

2010 -Toy Soldier

2009-WSS part III

2008-Pursuit of Happiness -

2007-THIS I believe

2006 -THAT BIG RABBIT and TWIRLER.

2005-THE ZONE -Liked this one -Although they were booed for it.

2004-Jethro Tull

2003 -My Favorite things-From others

2002 -boogie woogie bugle boy .Americana show part IIIIIIIII

2001 -Young Persons guide

15 shows not much innovation from a old top 3 corps.

Last 8 seasons placements -4-3-3-4-1* 5-3-5

Time for a change.

....Its not what they announce in music at all, imo. Its what the Show Design will be. And thats all in the Visual realm,........ when we got to hear it and see it with the Visual / Guard in the summer ?

Actually, I'm of the opinion that announcement of musical selections IS significant, and that what is selected DOES matter. For example, my interest is peaked if source material is a) recent original composition i.e. wind band and/or brass band literature and/or from the pop genre b) a genre seemingly yet explored by the corps c) a puzzle to me i.e. "how will this corps present........Ellington, or Bartok, or Maslanka etc." because they have not ever "gone there" stylistically.

I am also of the opinion that Show design is not all in the visual realm. Some of my favorite musical selections are from Drum Corps [arrangers], I enjoy them more than the original composition. Yes, spectacular drill/guard writing will get me out of my seat, and yes, that is part of show design obviously.

I guess I could be wrong and have to go back and read the topic, but I thought the overall vibe towards The Cadets on here UNTIL around Atlanta or so when they slid from 1st ---- to 4th. : THATS A BIG DROP.

Not enough Depth. PLaying hard and moving fast is not enough.

Middle of that show was just bad design . Both MUSICALLY AND VISUALLY.

People like when the CADETS become innovators and do something different .

Like Blue Devils , Crown ,Bluecoats , Cavies , Blue Knights, Crossmen , Colts .

2015-Power of 10

2014 -President's show

2013- those boxes

2012 -Christmas

2011-Angels and Demons --OK even though a HS band did this first . I give points here.

2010 -Toy Soldier

2009-WSS part III

2008-Pursuit of Happiness -

2007-THIS I believe

2006 -THAT BIG RABBIT and TWIRLER.

2005-THE ZONE -Liked this one -Although they were booed for it.

2004-Jethro Tull

2003 -My Favorite things-From others

2002 -boogie woogie bugle boy .Americana show part IIIIIIIII

2001 -Young Persons guide

15 shows not much innovation from a old top 3 corps.

Last 8 seasons placements -4-3-3-4-1* 5-3-5

Time for a change.

I guess with that logic, Crown and Bluecoats should also change.

I'm expecting all corps to be announcing later than usual this season as I'm sure every last one of them will be consulting with Channel3 to make sure they get the most bang for their buck out of show concept, leaving no stone unturned in their quest for depth, accessibility and the meaning of life.

• Like 2

The relative amount of chatter on DCP is in NO WAY a reflection of the amount of fan support a corps seeks and/or enjoys. I think we may have just a slightly inflated view of our self worth on here. Just sayin'

Dan

Well it certainly isn't the only reflection, or even the best reflection, but it is a pretty direct, measurable reflection of fan support. I think George is pretty open about why he does it, and it is only to intrigue the fans and get them talking about the show concept. He is a pretty savvy guy, I suspect he knows it can only help interest in the corps.