Star 1993 Has Been REPLACED

The cost to implement the kind of large scale electronics that Bluecoats did will hinder many corps from doing it. What Star did, any corps could do, with talent and training.

Bluecoats 2015, yes performed well, yes trying new things, but a gimmick, IMO yes, and I find gimmick's forgettable.
I'm sure some people said that about The Jazz Singer in 1927 too.
They weren't a gimmick; they used electronics the way that they make the most sense, integrating spatial relationships as well as the musical relationships. Look for more corps to start considering both dimensions of electronics moving forward. That's a good thing.
That being said, it wasn't on the level of design (relative to the field) of Star '93, so is unlikely to ever gain that kind of stature in the activity.

I will go a step further and say I am more interested in seeing where Bluecoats go in the next couple of years than any other corps. They are definitely on the bleeding edge of show design. I am fortunate enough to live a half hour from Denison where Bloo holds their Spring Training, and I am already counting the days!

I am too. The other corps is Blue Knights (for me) - that one moment and this past seasons "because" just both did a terrific job of bringing a WGI guard show "feel" to a football field. Bluecoats - that design team has been batting strong the past couple seasons - I can't wait to see where they go from here

Sadly we'll never see a Star 1994. Coats 2016 could be something special!

• Like 1

when other people start copying it...i'll agree

they already have - this season we're seeing a lot of "Tilt" imitators in the band world. Next year it will spread IMO into other corps

I'd also argue that BD may not have tried their "K Pop" without the blatant success of the TILT chord the prior year - BD was quite burned for some of their earlier attempts in this direction

The cost to implement the kind of large scale electronics that Bluecoats did will hinder many corps from doing it. What Star did, any corps could do, with talent and training.

The cost of fielding Star 1993 was quite large at the time (a top corps budget) - and they had one of the most talented memberships of all time. Possibly, in regards to percussion battery, THE most talented corps of all time. The same can be said for the design and instructional staff - with exception of the modern BD team

So - there are elements of Coats that other corps can do with a lesser budget and resources. Similar to Star's influence early one. Things like staging of sounds, some horn effects, the sampling ideas - and exploration of sound from different vantages and velocity. Some of the simpler ideas in Coats program were the most effective IMO

Edited by George Dixon

I wasn't sure if/where to post this so figured tacked on to this thread might fit. First I want to thank Bluecoats for being one of the only corps that put up Trumpet PoV cam videos, both this year and last year. Since I'm a trumpet player I really like to see them, and while there's lots of other instrument videos there's not too many trumpet.

That being said, I said this last year as well - the 'coats trumpet book is really pretty light, especially compared to other corps i've been able to see or figure out the parts. I credit some masterful arranging to make it sound intricate and difficult, but it's really not. Watch the solo trumpet video or the lower parts from both years. Where it fits into this thread, for me at least, is that the brass book from Star 93 was significantly more difficult thus this years 'coats could never replace Star 93 for me..

Star's program was extremely challenging - in quite different ways than Coats 2015. And I think you've correctly identified an area where Star's program was "more challenging" in the brass exposure and writing. However - in modern drum corps frankly difficulty isn't really rewarded anymore - hence we are seeing more creativity in design and less challenge in the horn, drum and drill books. Guard is the exception - they've never been tougher or better. You only have to look at the Cadets finals score to realize this is the case / by challenge alone they should have won high everything. And they barely snagged brass.