A Final Word on the DCA Competition Problem (this year)

'Specially Dem Dere Badets Boo, fer shure.

:ninja:

Dubya - is dat supposed to be your trying to sound like you're Minnesooooota accent, doncha know? Yah, sure you betcha!

Pat

Dubya - is dat supposed to be your trying to sound like you're Minnesooooota accent, doncha know? Yah, sure you betcha!

Pat

Minnesota basketball cheerleaders:

"Hey, fight dem dar and gets dem rebounds doncha know, yah---you betcha!"

Then they do the splits............and stick to the gym floor. :lookaround:

• Like 1

Minnesota basketball cheerleaders:

"Hey, fight dem dar and gets dem rebounds doncha know, yah---you betcha!"

Then they do the splits............and stick to the gym floor. :lookaround:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :bleah:

Tanks dere, Willie!!!

Maybe dat's why MY high school gym had a terrazzo floor - so dey wouldn't have no stickin' to 'da floor!!!

Ah, Kath-lick edge-a -ma-cation!!!

Actually that's a Central PA accent common amongst the more grammatically challenged folks to the West and South of Harrisburg.

I'm from Pittsburgh, Dad was a US Steel IE and got Head Hunted into Central PA to another Steel Mill. I have some of the "Picksburgh" idiocyncracies but they're not as bad as some of what you here in Central PA in the Wal-Marts...

"Look at that puppy" translates to...

"Yinz look at dat dere puppay!"

"Clean up your room"

"Red up yer room!"

People don't say, they go.

"She said, look at the puppy up there" is

"She goes, Yinz look at dat dere puppay up-air!"

Living away from it in Harrisburg for over 20 years now, it grates on me when I hear it when I go back to see Mom and Dad. Especially at the Wal-Mart. I'll deliberately do it around Mom, and she tells me, "It's not THAT bad (it is it's just she deals with it daily) and you were NOT brought up to speak that way!!!!!"

The "O" is also mangled and I can't even describe it. It's worse than any German or Scandinavian umlaut device. A caller from the area to Rush Limbaugh with a really bad version of this accent pronounced "O.J. Simpson" so badly Rush couldn't understand who the heck she was talking about. Several callers from this area called in later to tell Rush it was OJ, and that it was her local accent that confused him so badly.

I guess if you say "Yinz see dat dere Cadets 'teeeeuuu' at dat dere corps show" you might get the 'o' right. :satisfied:

My father says the major export of the town I grew up in and he still lives in is the smart young people. He's correct. If you have a college education, you move out, there's no job, unless you know someone in town as part of their family business or marry into it. :satisfied:

Rather than compete with DCI during the regular summer season, perhaps DCA should focus its attention on a winter, indoor season.

Have to get to bed, but really, it doesn't directly compete. Many DCI contests are during the week in the NE US and are in venues nowhere near most of the DCA shows.

One could counter-state that the Midwest and Southern DCA corps use DCI very well by competing at some of the contests and getting feedback from the DCI adjudicators. It's obviously been helpful to MBI, Kilties and Govies- I'm uncertain if it's been as helpful though to Alliance and CV, though seeing that CV finished the highest they ever have this season, it didn't hurt!

As far as the DCI Regional is concerned for us, it is more of a recruiting tool for us than anything else. We get a ton of exposure and believe it or not sell A LOT of souvie stuff! As to it's impact on us competitively...it's another performance. This year it really was a turning point for us internally. We had a very poor show and it really served as a wake up call for us. Things really progressed exponentially from there on. Each camp was significantly better than the last and we began to really believe in the product and the show.

With the limited performance opportunities we have down here, we try to use every opportunity that we can...including the regional.

Dan

Hello everyone. I’ve made my position crystal clear on the DCA competition problem, my blog has been officially designated a national security threat within DCA, and I probably won’t have anything further to add on this issue until the next DCA Ground Hog Day in September 2016.

But I want everyone to know one thing. I didn’t speak up to hurt or antagonize anybody.

I spoke up because if changes are not made soon, DCA will die.

I have spoken to many people over the last year who are not just “not” interested in going to DCA anymore, but who are no longer interested in performing at DCA, even if the trip is free. I’m not talking about people who show up anyway and complain – I’m talking about the people who checked out of DCA, from all over the country. Look around you - it's not about who is there. It's about who is not there. There are many of us.

I am speaking up in the hopes that change will come to the DCA judging system. If changes are made, DCA can become competitive and fun again, resulting in tremendous growth to all-age drum corps as DCA has in the years before and the very start of the Buccaneers competitive tirade. People will return if the playing field is level.

Look, nobody did anything wrong to cause this problem.

The DCA Board did nothing wrong. The DCA judges did nothing wrong. And the Reading Buccaneers did not do anything wrong. Point of fact, the Buccaneers created this existential problem in DCA because they did everything correct, doing whatever was needed to do to win in a flawed judging system that puts too much emphasis on demand, and ends up encouraging DCA corps to copy DCI to succeed, which will fail unless you can get a corps substantially comprised of 20-year olds. Which defeats the point of DCA.

The solution here is not to make the Reading Buccaneers lose. The solution is to give other DCA corps a reasonable chance to win DCA. Whether they do or not, is on them. But under the current status, most DCA corps will never win DCA again. Not because I said so, based upon the historical record, and what is happening to the fan base and corps.

I hope big changes are made to the DCA judging system, and I hope they are made soon. For the sake of DCA.

Lee Rudnicki

I know your heart is in the right place

BUT - they just lost a couple seasons ago and Cadets2 will challenge them easily next year if they show a similar improvement to this year. And I think they will. Cadets2 are already showing increased interest for next seasons membership and I bet they also retain more vets.

So worry not. Bucs will be challenged AND DCA will be just fine.

JMO.