Rules Congress 2016

per DCI today:

A biennial process, 2016 will mark a Rules Congress year—a time when corps can submit rules change proposals and suggest updates to the adjudication system and related philosophy for consideration during DCI’s annual winter business meetings, scheduled for late January.

What proposals have you, DCPers?

-This one should be submitted as it is both a win for fans and corps:

Staff section/ seating set aside at every show. Mandatory that all TEP's block areas in the stadium to accommodate 3-5 staff persons. This to eliminate fan complaints and allow staff the opportunity to view their corps without audience disruption.

This one might not got over so well, but is worth mentioning. Due to where we are heading in the activity, as well as to encourage new corps to form, I think it's necessary to equal and reduce expenses associated to compete:

-A spending cap on the amount of equipment allowed for artificial sound / electronics to be used. In other words, equipment used to either manipulate sound, or project sound, or other electronic visual representation (i.e.: video screens), is capped/budgeted to be a percentage of a corps operating budget or is a "flat rate" spending cap. In other words,established corps who have the budget for state of the art sound systems, are capped. This so electronic innovation cannot only be achieved by a select group of corps trying to outdo one another with th best equipmeant money can buy. This gives corps an equal playing field where ability of the member, drill design, color guard etc, still remains the bedrock in judging content.

Either cap electronic budget or:

-For corps incorporating electronic sample or manipulated sound in their shows, a 5 point judge caption in electronic usage called, "creative excecution" (or something to that extent), is established. Corps using electronic samples, speakers to enhance brass or front ensemble sound, or to manipulate sound on the field (i.e.: Bluecoats 2015), now have a 5 point caption. This caption is not used for corps who wish to use a traditional approach to their shows.

I may be a bit off on the last one in terms of the way sound is used, So to simply define it, a caption to judge how a corps uses electronics in their shows. 5 points for this caption.

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 2

I may be a bit off on the last one in terms of the way sound is used, So to simply define it, a caption to judge how a corps uses electronics in their shows. 5 points for this caption.

You started off well Dmlkment, but when you went all Bernie Sanders on us, you lost my "Like This" check mark. Corps should not be limited to what they can spend on any part of their annual operation. If they go under from trying to move up the food chain, it's on that corps BOD/director. Some professional sport organizations have salary caps, but some teams are willing to pay the fine to get better athletes.

Either cap electronic budget or:

-For corps incorporating electronic sample or manipulated sound in their shows, a 5 point judge caption in electronic usage called, "creative excecution" (or something to that extent), is established. Corps using electronic samples, speakers to enhance brass or front ensemble sound, or to manipulate sound on the field (i.e.: Bluecoats 2015), now have a 5 point caption. This caption is not used for corps who wish to use a traditional approach to their shows.

So, are you saying if a corps doesn't use the electronics, they don't get any extra points up to five points? Where's the level playing field with this (if I'm understanding your proposal accurately.)?

• Like 1

I think it's necessary to equal and reduce expenses associated to compete:

-A spending cap on the amount of equipment allowed for artificial sound / electronics to be used. In other words, equipment used to either manipulate sound, or project sound, or other electronic visual representation (i.e.: video screens), is capped/budgeted to be a percentage of a corps operating budget or is a "flat rate" spending cap.

You're *grossly* overestimating the costs associated with electronics and amplification. It's far less than many people think it is.

• Like 3

So, are you saying if a corps doesn't use the electronics, they don't get any extra points up to five points? Where's the level playing field with this (if I'm understanding your proposal accurately.)?

Where's the level playing field when some corps can spend virtually unlimited amounts of money on electronics to double or triple the decibel level coming off the field? Besides, DCI better hope OSHA never takes an interest in the ear-pounding drum corps fans will take for hours on end if an electronics decibel war is allowed to happen year after year. (Please don't tell me that show designers have the good sense to not let that happen when you know they're gunning for that extra .10 in GE.)

Where's the level playing field when some corps can spend virtually unlimited amounts of money on electronics to double or triple the decibel level coming off the field? Besides, DCI better hope OSHA never takes an interest in the ear-pounding drum corps fans will take for hours on end if an electronics decibel war is allowed to happen year after year. (Please don't tell me that show designers have the good sense to not let that happen when you know they're gunning for that extra .10 in GE.)

It's not a "work place", so why would OSHA get involved?

I know it will never happen but, get rid of electronics completely.

• Like 2