Rules Congress 2016

Somehow make it so electronics failures negatively impact the score more

• Like 4

I know it will never happen but, get rid of electronics completely.

That ship has sailed...I posted this in another thread but I think worth posting again. Pretty interesting. It was from The tampa Bay times but I did see on TV just yesterday that many orchestras around the country are adding electronic enhancements, visual elements including actors, holograms, laser shows etc etc

The Florida Orchestra will take a gamble by reviving Stravinsky's original — with a further twist. Joining the musicians will be a choreographed troupe of string-controlled marionettes, projected silhouettes, rod puppets and more elaborate characters that stand 9 feet tall.

"Petrushka is a puppet ballet about puppets," said music director Stefan Sanderling. "So we thought, 'Why not use these giant puppets to portray the characters?' "

The production is much more than spectacle. Like similar groups everywhere, the Florida Orchestra each season fights for its financial life, a struggle only exacerbated by the recession. The musicians often play to too many empty seats, and young people — the potential audiences of the future — prefer more visual thrills than a homegrown Mahler symphony can provide.

A fully staged Petrushka is the orchestra's way of reaching out to those new audiences.

"We have to find better ways to be relevant," Sanderling said. "Our way of offering classical music has to change. No, we don't have to change the music, we just have to change how we present it."c etc.

rochester NY:

Dancers, interpreters, visual artists, an art exhibit...Symphonic Vision will be a multi-sensory experience of classical music. Synchronized visual projections and lighting will be fused with the wonder and drama of the music performed by the RSOC in a sight and sound spectacular that will fill the stage, your ears, and your eyes.

Symphonic Vision, created by artist, composer and designer Kevin Dobbe, is a multimedia process that visualizes music. Fourteen video cameras, five projection spaces, and automated lights are all programmed and then controlled by a MIDI keyboard played for each cue by a musician on the stage with the orchestra. This process allows us to see musicians close up, to read text that helps us understand what is happening in the musical structure, and to provide visual interpretation of music elements such as dynamics and music phrase, all combined to both celebrate the beauty of sound via visuals, and to help guide listeners on musical journeys.

This is 2 of many

Edited by GUARDLING

Pyrotechnics I'm sure.

Somehow make it so electronics failures negatively impact the score more

Electronics failures do impact the scores. Until you can demonstrate with evidence that it in some way "not enough", I'm not sure that there's a real point to your suggestion. Ask the Bluecoats in San Antonio if electronics failures impact score...

• Like 2

Electronics failures do impact the scores. Until you can demonstrate with evidence that it in some way "not enough", I'm not sure that there's a real point to your suggestion. Ask the Bluecoats in San Antonio if electronics failures impact score...

Not to get too much into arguing minutae, but their score went up .375 from the night before in Houston. More than the Cadets (0.35), almost as much as the Blue Devils (0.40). I have no concrete proof, only observation from afar, but I absolutely think electronics do get a free pass. Vanguard's scores increased all three nights of Finals week, too, despite having the electronics come unplugged on one of them.

I don't think it needs a rule change, though - just maybe a clearer application / explanation on the judging sheets. (And even with that caveat, I recognize you've actually been involved in this and I have not... :) )

Mike

I'd argue electronics failures receive FAR less sympathy from judges than blown solos or individual falls garner: meaning electronic failures will receive less "credit" than blown solos