Cadets 2016

Tobias

I can feel the love... Crown does personal body movement like no other corps, including The Blue Devils and certainly the Cadets.

That "poorly designed program from Crown is one of my favorites shows of the last 5 years.

I love both corps, but this came across as over the top. Amusing to see things heating up so early in the season already.

They do more of it. They do it well. It is also highly repetitive season to season. I personally hope (and frankly expect) them to return to their spread field drill approach from 2007 to 2012. Last year's program especially was lacking with drill. And fix the intervals (please)

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

Bluecoats have garnered extremely high GE scores with low depth programs in terms of THEME.

I think the depth from Bluecoats comes with how much layering they have going on musically and even visually IMO. (snip)

To tie it back to this thread......IMO, seems like Cadets are doing a little of both this year with their guard and choice of music. I think that's a great thing.

Coats have had some really nice layering the past 3 seasons, especially last year

I honestly thought they deserved the highest GE scores in 2015 - surprised by their scoring. Clearly the judging community disagreed

Cadets have most-seasons layered programs extremely well - thematically and otherwise. 2013 & 2011 are great recent examples. 2005 was a masterpiece in this regard.

They do more of it. They do it well. It is also highly repetitive season to season. I personally hope (and frankly expect) them to return to their spread field drill approach from 2007 to 2012. Last year's program especially was lacking with drill. And fix the intervals (please)

Oh, I completely understand where you're coming from, George. I'm tired of all the lower body stuff that is now obligatory and that EVERY corps does. Even The Cadets do it, because they want to be rewarded. But, it is what it is. It's required, and it garners points.

I'm like Crown's spread drill, and I enjoyed last years' approach as well. I think that The Cadets do drill like no other corps, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they've got this year.

I'm just going with the flow at this point.

Just rewatched the top 4 from last year, and found where this topic is right now VERY pertinent.

After watching last year with a break and a fresh set of eyes, it is clear to me that BD was sooooo far ahead in show design that it really wasn't close. I guess I would put Bluecoats second, and then Crown. I think Cadets were correctly placed in 4th. They just looked old fashioned. I know a segment of fans likes that, but I have always associated Cadets with innovation. BD have been the innovators since 2008.

If you watch show pacing from BD last year they would pose and play (is that was we are calling "staging" for a section, all do drill for a section, rinse repeat pretty much. It is very effective, it produces different textures and moods for the audience and judges.

I don't know that it will happen this year completely for the Cadets, but I do think they are moving "grudgingly" in that direction.

P.S. - Can someone really define what is meant by "staging" in the Drum Corps world? It is tossed around frequently now, and I have never really understood exactly what it is.

Edited by cadet93
  • Like 1

This is how you squash rumors of what's going on at Cadetland. Go check them out for yourself. Their rehearsals are open to everyone who wants to attend and George has to be the most transparent director giving you inside snippets of what's going on with the corps. Here's the deal ladies and gentlemen the percussion line is solid (again), the hornline is strong as ever, Kristy and Joe taking over the Cadet guard will be the best decision George would have made in getting the Cadets guard back to where they belong. As far as Jeff Sacktig taking some personal time off and Darryl Perberton writing the drill will be just fine. I have heard him talk about the design of the 2016 visual package and I'm on board. So where does that leave the Cadets for the upcoming season? My guess is that the Cadets will be very good. See you at the first show in Indy.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Like 1

Oh, I completely understand where you're coming from, George. I'm tired of all the lower body stuff that is now obligatory and that EVERY corps does. Even The Cadets do it, because they want to be rewarded. But, it is what it is. It's required, and it garners points.

I'm like Crown's spread drill, and I enjoyed last years' approach as well. I think that The Cadets do drill like no other corps, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they've got this year.

I'm just going with the flow at this point.

Great attitude. I wish I was more easy going about it. I really like the body movement stuff. I loved it in Star 92 / 93. I feel though like I'm still seeing some of the same stuff now. Exactly the same stuff.

2012 was my favorite Crown "body movement" year - probably because the drill was so strong and challenging as well

Never have liked much of the Cadets body stuff. Frankly they haven't designed it very well. I have a feeling that will change this year. Hope so!

Just rewatched the top 4 from last year, and found where this topic is right now VERY pertinent.

After watching last year with a break and a fresh set of eyes, it is clear to me that BD was sooooo far ahead in show design that it really wasn't close. I guess I would put Bluecoats second, and then Crown. I think Cadets were correctly placed in 4th. They just looked old fashioned. I know a segment of fans likes that, but I have always associated Cadets with innovation. BD have been the innovators since 2008.

If you watch show pacing from BD last year they would pose and play (is that was we are calling "staging" for a section, all do drill for a section, rinse repeat pretty much. It is very effective, it produces different textures and moods for the audience and judges.

I don't know that it will happen this year completely for the Cadets, but I do think they are moving "grudgingly" in that direction.

P.S. - Can someone really define what is meant by "staging" in the Drum Corps world? It is tossed around frequently now, and I have never really understood exactly what it is.

I agree with BD then Bluecoats last year. And I feel probably Blue Knights were 3rd in terms of design last year.

• Like 1

I agree with BD then Bluecoats last year. And I feel probably Blue Knights were 3rd in terms of design last year.

I just watched the top 6 shows again from 2015 to seek to understand the voiced opinions and concluded that Crown and the Blue Devils had the best design. With that said, it all comes down to preference, and the judges preferred Crown's show design to the Blue Knights & BlueCoats in Atlanta, Allentown, and at finals last year. Are they all wrong, given that they were different judging panels?

My only point, is that all of this is all a matter of opinion, speculation, and nothing else.

-Carry on :exclamation:

Great attitude. I wish I was more easy going about it. I really like the body movement stuff. I loved it in Star 92 / 93. I feel though like I'm still seeing some of the same stuff now. Exactly the same stuff.

2012 was my favorite Crown "body movement" year - probably because the drill was so strong and challenging as well

Never have liked much of the Cadets body stuff. Frankly they haven't designed it very well. I have a feeling that will change this year. Hope so!

I believe that the amount of stuff Star did way back in the day was about right.

I like the lower body movement **if** it fits the moment. I often feel that it is now forced. I agree that I haven't liked it when the Cadets do the body stuff, because what they do well is kick ### drill like nobody else. I think they'll work on that, but it doesn't seem to fit their image.

I believe that the current judging is flawed because it rewards certain styles of programming over other styles, but it is what it is...

As long as I'm entertained, I'll enjoy a show despite the style. I can tell already that I'm going to enjoy the Cadets this year. Some years I don't, but I still love the corps and what it has done over the years.

• Like 1

That's because body movement is never going to look good in the traditional Cadets uniform. It will always look robotic and awkward.

• Like 2