Cadets 2016

Tobias

Sure would be nice if we leave the past in the past and remain optimistic about what's to come, REGARDLESS of where the Cadets previously placed. I believe they made some changes this season FOR. A. REASON.

2016 is almost upon us. Let's be a little optimistic. I mean Crown honks are like head over heels about this year's show from them. We should try to be just as enthusiastic.

I think Cadets are going to come out swinging like they do every year. They will finish in the top 3

IF they kept same visual staff, I would agree BUT they made big changes so they GET IT that they were falling behind the curve design wise and the sheer talent of the MMs kept them competitive so I'm cautiously optimistic they will get that little bump they need competitively.

I find this talk of "the Cadets needing a fresh new visual design because it's been holding them back" stuff to be a bit odd -- as if they looked around as the season went on and after it ended and just knew that they NEEDED to make these drastic changes. Does anyone in their right mind think that had Jeff Sacktic not had the deeply personal ordeal going on with his wife's health (of which I'm extremely sympathetic) that he wouldn't still be writing the drill and putting the visual package together for the Cadets right now at this very moment? Of course he would, and people would be foolish to think otherwise IMO. ("Hey, Jeff, congrats on being inducted into the DCI Hall of Fame. Long overdue and well deserved! You're fired...")

Now obviously, real life takes center stage over drum corps any day of the week, and nobody can fault Jeff for taking a step away at this time. At the same time, I don't blame anyone for being excited at an infusion of fresh talent on the visual design and instruction side of things because of it. I can understand and appreciate that. But it seems as if people keep making this leap of logic that they lost last year because of visual and decided that they needed to make all these massive changes, and that the role of what was happening in Jeff's life at the time didn't play an enormous role in those decisions. That's how I interpret those posts, anyway. Jeff Sacktic, as main visual design voice for this corps for so many years, was the least of their problems IMO, and had those unfortunate personal issues not come about (as they tend to do in all of our lives, whether we want them to or not), I can't envision any situation (given that he still wished to return) where they were looking to dump him in favor of a newer fresher visual design voice.

• Like 3

I find this talk of "the Cadets needing a fresh new visual design because it's been holding them back" stuff to be a bit odd -- as if they looked around as the season went on and after it ended and just knew that they NEEDED to make these drastic changes. Does anyone in their right mind think that had Jeff Sacktic not had the deeply personal ordeal going on with his wife's health (of which I'm extremely sympathetic) that he wouldn't still be writing the drill and putting the visual package together for the Cadets right now at this very moment? Of course he would, and people would be foolish to think otherwise IMO. ("Hey, Jeff, congrats on being inducted into the DCI Hall of Fame. Long overdue and well deserved! You're fired...")

Now obviously, real life takes center stage over drum corps any day of the week, and nobody can fault Jeff for taking a step away at this time. At the same time, I don't blame anyone for being excited at an infusion of fresh talent on the visual design and instruction side of things because of it. I can understand and appreciate that. But it seems as if people keep making this leap of logic that they lost last year because of visual and decided that they needed to make all these massive changes, and that the role of what was happening in Jeff's life at the time didn't play an enormous role in those decisions. That's how I interpret those posts, anyway. Jeff Sacktic, as main visual design voice for this corps for so many years, was the least of their problems IMO, and had those unfortunate personal issues not come about (as they tend to do in all of our lives, whether we want them to or not), I can't envision any situation (given that he still wished to return) where they were looking to dump him in favor of a newer fresher visual design voice.

THANK. YOU. :worthy:

Sam,

The Debbie-downer stance may work well as a lawyer nitpicking over real estate contracts, but you, particularly as a Cadet podium alum, have to offer more.

From the gaps on the field in the PoR first drill reveal posted and from the animation drill GH posted from the webinar, I am surmising that those gaps are where some of the props are resident.

That being said, some of the flow around them will need to be re-written as my eye was drawn to the syncopatic movement counter the flow of the rest of the ensemble, particularly where the mellos and high brass move as squads of two to join the baris/euphs/trombones already upfront. Movement on the whole is less flowing than Zingali or Sacktig''s approaches or decades of experience. This dotbook reveals a different emphasis which is more brass triumphalism/impact, engaging the bass part of the audience's auditory senses, and puling everyone in the same way the Fanfares of the 1060's used to announce the corps and engage the viewer. It's an old style which today is new as this generation hasn't experienced it previously. Think herald trumpets except with much bigger bores and power.

Whether the CG members on the front runway will be poised statues, fantasic flags, or sizzling sabres/sabers will also take a variety of approaches over the full season. As the British detective series routinely say, "Early days..."

Wow.....I never imagined my saying this but I actually agree with xandandl 200%. Good post buddy and spot on! Disclamer: It is just my opinion and my word isn't law.

I think most of us are referring to the new guard staff changes not that Jeff left for personal reasons, Jeff is a genius. Darryl will offer a different approach and I think Cadets need to freshen their approach at how they present and portrait a show. The stuff coming from camp is that this corps is on fire and the show is packed with cool stuff We'll see

Worried about the props. When have Cadets' props not been dire? Last year I was worried about those boxes in June and people #### near ran me out of DCP. Come finals...still big gaps and awkward movement...

• Like 1

Wow.....I never imagined my saying this but I actually agree with xandandl 200%. Good post buddy and spot on! Disclamer: It is just my opinion and my word isn't law.

Hmmmmm? If one agrees 200% when rationally 100% is the highest limit possible; does that leave the extra 100% as a carry-over floating inventory to apply towards other opinions?

It's somewhat like when you ask a person "a penny for your thoughts?" and they offer you their "2 cents worth"-------------do you owe them a penny back?

Man, life is confusing. As my Mother would fondly say to the kids, "Your better start behavin' or I'll cut off your head and throw it in your face!!" :crazy:

• Like 1

I think most of us are referring to the new guard staff changes not that Jeff left for personal reasons, Jeff is a genius. Darryl will offer a different approach and I think Cadets need to freshen their approach at how they present and portrait a show. The stuff coming from camp is that this corps is on fire and the show is packed with cool stuff We'll see

Well, when you keep referring to visual design or "visual" in general, it's difficult NOT to think you're including the main visual voice of the team as part of the problem and something that needed to be addressed and/or changed. I like Darryl and I'm really hoping (and expecting) that he ups his game now that he's back with his old team. Nothing would make me happier, truly. But the unfortunate fact of the matter is that he comes with some baggage that could wind up being a problem as the spring and summer go on. There are reasons he hasn't lasted long as a visual designer in the DCI ranks in any one place. So much talent, but that's only part of the equation of what makes a world class DCI visual designer. He has a lot to prove, and I'm sure he realizes that. Hopefully, he takes full advantage of this opportunity and knocks it out of the park.

I believe the talk was in reaction to a poster commenting about the design issues the past decade or so. We responded by saying the drill designer, guard caption head, guard work designer and many of the visual team members has changed. Not as much in a way of assuming intent (of the changes) as in assuming INNOCENCE of the current team to past design errors.

The past three years Cadets have one drums once, brass once at finals and many, many instances of wins in Music GE or Ensemble during the seasons... Music isn't the weakness.

On the flip side, they haven't been winning Visual GE. When did they last? 2011?

I agree Jeff has had great success and I don't think anyone is inferring he was the problem, but with the changes we have the possibility of change. That's all