Cadets 2016

Tobias

Now back to The Cadets 2016 discussion.........whew, it seemed to take a brief detour off the highway, but we're back on the right hwy again.............

Maybe it comes down to whether the scores and placements match our own observations of shows that entertain or dazzle us. This, I think, is what describes Cadets shows best for me personally. I'm usually first dazzled in a WTH? kind of way, then more entertained, frankly, the longer I watch and re-watch a show. Cadets last year is a great example.

2011 Cadets left me both dazzled and entertained at once, and greater than any other show that year so I was one of those many up screaming after the score announcement. It didn't matter who they beat. It was the show that captured me most that year so I felt vindicated that they one. Not necessarily that they beat BD, Crown, or anyone else.

Going back to my first shows in the early '70's, Cadets have given me that combination of dazzle/entertainment/vindication of my viewpoint more than any other corps.

there ya go !

Visually and Visually GE speaking, many of the folks who gave the supplementary suggestions which nuanced the show to be so popular with so many as the show developed into that final performance at LOS were actually marching members who played with an idea during sectionals or personal times, brought the idea to Jeff and GH, and then allowed the idea to develop on the field. Many of these same folks are now teaching Bloo, Boston, etc., corps which have tried something different in recent seasons. The MMs of 2011 had great MM leadership (Ben Pouncey, Patrick Crowley, Thomas Baker, Nick O'Hara) who gave gone on to do special things with the other units they have influenced since.

If GH allows that same latitude, and Darryl and Jarrett can be convinced, then that magic may re-appear.

Agreed. GH should be a FB vid of the section leaders giving input. The talent within the corps is not to be underestimated from s creative standpoint. Look at the sheer talent of teachers that have marched cadets and moved to Crown, etc. Thst nuturing is still there and these kids have fresh ideas that will be tapped,

I enjoyed the 2015 Cadets show that finished 4th last season a bit more than a few of their shows that finished higher in placements. Whether the Cadets will place higher in placement this season is every bit as unknown to me as to whether or not I will enjoy it as much, or as less than any other year's show from The Cadets.

Edited by BRASSO

With 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015, the design team burned through their goodwill with me when it comes to the assumption that they will put together a program that competes. I don't really care about the placements whatsoever. I loved last year's show SO MUCH, but I've just accepted that the new normal over there is a show that doesn't check all the boxes competitively. Just my opinion!

Completely agree with you. Every year the Cadets have the raw talent and sheer power to win a title. However, the design team has not consistently kept up with the corps and their placements have suffered. For some reason recently, Cadets' design has especially flawed on even years which I find really interesting and wonder why that is. I'll remain hopeful that the Cadets' design teams pulls through and delivers a show that is more nuanced than hitting someone over the head with the number 10 over and over again. If they can design a show like BD, they'll win this year.

• Like 1

Completely agree with you. Every year the Cadets have the raw talent and sheer power to win a title. However, the design team has not consistently kept up with the corps and their placements have suffered. For some reason recently, Cadets' design has especially flawed on even years which I find really interesting and wonder why that is. I'll remain hopeful that the Cadets' design teams pulls through and delivers a show that is more nuanced than hitting someone over the head with the number 10 over and over again. If they can design a show like BD, they'll win this year.

IF they kept same visual staff, I would agree BUT they made big changes so they GET IT that they were falling behind the curve design wise and the sheer talent of the MMs kept them competitive so I'm cautiously optimistic they will get that little bump they need competitively. Percussion and brass are arguably stronger than last year and they should get some guard improvement. (It should be noted Cadets placed 2nd in guard in 2014. In SPRING of 2015 the guard caption head pulled out for personal reasons ((school I believe)) and Bruno had to step in and run guard with his other responsibilities so that certainly created a void). There's no guard caption heads just hanging around in May to step in. With a concentrated effort on a strong guard program this year from the beginning, I see us returning to a more competing guard as the season progresses. Edited by Tobias

IF they kept same visual staff, I would agree BUT they made big changes so they GET IT that they were falling behind the curve design wise and the sheer talent of the MMs kept them competitive so I'm cautiously optimistic they will get that little bump they need competitively. Percussion and brass are arguably stronger than last year and they should get some guard improvement. (It should be noted Cadets placed 2nd in guard in 2014. In SPRING of 2015 the guard caption head pulled out for personal reasons ((school I believe)) and Bruno had to step in and run guard with his other responsibilities so that certainly created a void). There's no guard caption heads just hanging around in May to step in. With a concentrated effort on a strong guard program this year from the beginning, I see us returning to a more competing guard as the season progresses.

Of course! I never said the Cadets CANT design better shows in the future. They have the potential to this year. Just that I'll need to see it to believe it

Of course! I never said the Cadets CANT design better shows in the future. They have the potential to this year. Just that I'll need to see it to believe it

Agreed.

Sure would be nice if we leave the past in the past and remain optimistic about what's to come, REGARDLESS of where the Cadets previously placed. I believe they made some changes this season FOR. A. REASON.

2016 is almost upon us. Let's be a little optimistic. I mean Crown honks are like head over heels about this year's show from them. We should try to be just as enthusiastic.

Sure would be nice if we leave the past in the past and remain optimistic about what's to come, REGARDLESS of where the Cadets previously placed. I believe they made some changes this season FOR. A. REASON.

2016 is almost upon us. Let's be a little optimistic. I mean Crown honks are like head over heels about this year's show from them. We should try to be just as enthusiastic.

I'm very optimistic. I think they'll win this year...👍
  • Like 1