Cadets 2016

Tobias

I didn't see last night but I saw Warrensburg and Denton. I'm amazed at the positive changes in just a few days. It's finally a progressive Cadets show! With all of these changes, I'm grateful that they are not scoring down with Phantom or BK. The silver lining is that there are 3 weeks to clean and polish. If they are only a few points back and the show is only a few days old, there's no telling how big a surge can be. I think this show and group of kids has the talent for a big surge and peak at the right time. Would love to see them slip past Coats for a bronze at finals!

From within 2 points of the top 3 to almost a full point out of 4th....

Random TOC screwiness, on off night, or just the Even Year Curse?

so...

San Antonio will be interesting.

I'll make 2 comments about scoring - well, maybe it is 3

1. 2 of the judges on the panel last night I do NOT trust (as judges) - and the captions they judged in were heavily scewed (and no, I'm not going to get into specifics)...

2. Cadets may have had a bad run, a tired run or a massive ensemble error... I'm sure the quiet Texas crowd didn't help matters. Sounds like their response was tepid at best

3. I'm now getting very leery of the GE 1 GE 2 approach. Starting to feel like music GE is being left out of the equation. No way Cadets shouldn't crush Cavaliers in terms of GE Music

Today we'll see how things stand better. Cadets should be about 1.5 to 2.0 points back from the top corps tonight I'm thinking.

George

• Like 1

Since they went to the cross over GE captions, the historically music GE, does seem to be taking a back seat.... I was afraid of this when they went to this system. It was much more clear when it was GE visual, GE music. At least you knew what was actually being judged

• Like 1

Couldn't have said it better, MikeRapp.

There has been a great deal of success this year, so please don't get bogged down in scores and placements. A new approach was implemented this season, and there was bound to be growing pains. This a part of a larger process that will keep the Cadets relevant in the future. This wasn't going to happen in one miraculous season.

The fact that Cadets aren't around seventh right now is amazing. I've said all I want to say about this show concept; I don't have a good feeling about where this show can peak, but it isnt because of the kids. Any other corps would be running into each other on the field and dropping off to 30db during marching segments.

I see the top three making significant gains today and the spread between them remaining within a point. Cadets will take a big jump up points-wise, but the big question is Vanguard, which has the potential to steadily climb into fourth with a great ending. I love that Cavaliers have renewed their position as a heavyweight, but Cadets and Vanguard have imho much stronger musicianship and in the end I believe that will push one of them to fourth, albeit a good distance from third.

Obviously this is now a transitional season for Cadets. What they transition to waits to be seen, but at this point the kids and staff deserve support at live events. No corps has taken this much criticism, and it isn't the kids' fault.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 2

The fact that Cadets aren't around seventh right now is amazing. I've said all I want to say about this show concept; I don't have a good feeling about where this show can peak, but it isnt because of the kids. Any other corps would be running into each other on the field and dropping off to 30db during marching segments.

I see the top three making significant gains today and the spread between them remaining within a point. Cadets will take a big jump up points-wise, but the big question is Vanguard, which has the potential to steadily climb into fourth with a great ending. I love that Cavaliers have renewed their position as a heavyweight, but Cadets and Vanguard have imho much stronger musicianship and in the end I believe that will push one of them to fourth, albeit a good distance from third.

Obviously this is now a transitional season for Cadets. What they transition to waits to be seen, but at this point the kids and staff deserve support at live events. No corps has taken this much criticism, and it isn't the kids' fault.

Well said. And really, when we don't like a show or elements of it, the criticism should always be directed at the staff/design team and not the kids. All of the kids in this activity work their tails off.

• Like 1

I'm a drum guy, so I'm not into design and visual much. I really enjoy the show this year - the intensity, the difficulty, the members' performance - I love it - french horns are tooo cool.

My non-drum corps wife likes Cadets' show most of all.

I'll admit I didn't like Garfield back in my day, except I thought the Maynard Star Trek was GREAT!

Wish y'all the best ramping up to Indy.