Cadets2 2016

how can a group be young, but yet mostly adults? what classifies as young? under 18? under 22?

at that point in DCA, the average age was higher

At my age...anything under 45 is young.

Just sayin'

Dan

Same here, Dan!!!

how can a group be young, but yet mostly adults? what classifies as young? under 18? under 22?

Young adults.... over 21? The years I was with Sunrisers, we had a similar situation... a bunch of 20-and 30-somethings, to show us youngsters (I was 18 when I joined) the way.

Old enough to be veterans... young enough to handle a tough show. We also had our share of late teens who had been with the corps for several years, so they, too, were veterans... especially in the sense of knowing how to get it done on a limited all-age schedule.

Heck... I know some people in their 50s and 60s who aren't adults yet... LOL

• Like 4

Same with Westshoremen Fran after they reformed in 1974. That first year it was a bunch of "old" (probably 30/40ish LOL) corps vets who looked at us new "kids" with mixed feelings. I know the guy next to me wasn't too thrilled that I had to mark ALL the fingerings on my music as I played trombone. Later I overheard some of the older folks saying something like "Not too sure how these kids will work out but.... #### can they play!". My favorite picture of that mix is the 1978 triple line. IIRC 2 High Schoolers, one college age and Jeffs dad who was 30ish(?). We had the usual groups that didn't like other groups but none was age based that I remember.

Then there was my memory of getting called out a couple of times for having a beer in my hand at AL Nats. Kept saying I had just turned 21 and finally someone asked "Wait a minute Jimmy.... how many years have you been in the corps?" (Answer was 5....)

Youngin's in DCA is nothing new ... even pre-DCA for Sr Corps ... the Amboy Dukes had an influx of Tottenville PAL "kids" join them in 1959 ... the Hurc's had an influx from St. Raphael's in 61 - then the PAL and Grenadiers in 64 (they won the WO) - then the Royal Lancers in 67 (they won AL and DCA) - then the PAL and St. Raphael's in 69 (they won DCA) ... Sun's rise to fame is well documented when a bunch of Queensmen and Golden Eagles hooked up with them in 63 ... Sky had an influx from Loretto in 63, but most of them were married and in their mid-20's ... LOL ... and if you want to talk REAL young, maybe Donnie Solinger can share some stories of just how "young" Reading was in the early 60's ... I was stunned when he told me the age of some of their lead soloists ... so ... really, this is nuthin' new to a lot of us reading this thread ...

:-)

• Like 3

Younger than most of DCA was at the time, I guess you never heard the term "young adult"

i have. it's an oxymoron to me. jumbo shrimp, scholar athlete, military intelligence...

• Like 1

Government ethics..... we miss you George Carlin....

• Like 1