2015 CD's are here!

I wonder if a year ago when all of this started (I believe it was first brought up after the MidWest Band Clinic occurred) this is how it went down:

Tresona offered its services (multimedia hosting, etc) to DCI, and DCI declined. Then, Tresona pushed back by reinterpreting or specifically interpreting the copyright laws for syncing video to audio correctly thus making it very difficult for groups like DCI, Music for All (BOA), etc. to sell videos.

For those that don't know, Tresona not only offers licensing services to music teachers, directors, conductors, etc., but also offers a multimedia website where groups can actually sell downloads of their concerts, recordings etc, and share in the profit with Tresona. Tresona takes care of all the video/audio licensing, and, if you watch their introductory video on their page, they even pay for the licensing as sales are made thru the website, so its not a one-time upfront fee like DCI may be dealing with right now.

Honestly, if this is what happened, it is going to be tough for any of the organizations like DCI and BOA. They may have to either join ranks with Tresona and share profits, or not and discontinue making video products in any fashion, including downloads.

This is just speculation of course...but after watching the Tresona video on their web page, it made me wonder.

so copy write trolls

Many copy write, patent trolls do over step the boundaries in their zealous pursuits of shaking the money tree, it’s often how they are taken down. This is something I can poke around and perhaps find out a bit more about

thanks

so how do the CDs sound, anyone have them yet?

Edited by cowtown

Here is the list of edits on the audio CD's:

This CD set contains performance edits due to music licensing and permissions that are not available for distribution:

• Blue Devils (Disc 1, Track 1): 37 seconds of pre-recorded audio has been omitted

• Blue Knights (Disc 1, Track 6): 47 seconds of pre-recorded audio has been omitted

• Phantom Regiment (Disc 2, Track 1): 43 seconds of pre-recorded audio has been omitted

• Blue Devils B (Disc 4, Track 1): 20 seconds of pre-recorded audio has been omitted

spacer.gif

So if all corps would stop using pre-recorded #### it would make DCI's job a little easier right?

• Like 1

So if all corps would stop using pre-recorded #### it would make DCI's job a little easier right?

Its not just that. Its the source music used for the shows. Think of all the bits and pieces that are assembled into a show. Shows that are four songs played straight are a thing of the past, we now tend to see lots of montages and mashups of lots of different pieces of music. Yes, they are arranged for the corps, but the source still has to give permission and collect fees for the usage. Let's use Bernstein for example. While West Side Story was used quite frequently years ago, his representation has made it more and more costly over time. So some corps who've had this music on their back burner, have to keep it there until they can afford to use it, or until his representation drops the price into a more manageable number. There's also a clause that if you're using music from a Jerome Robbins musical, and you're creating a performance that involves dance, JRobbin's representation has an addendum that you MUST purchase and use dance choreography of J Robbins.

intellectual property has been stolen for years, and while Tresona and other licensing entities are putting the hammer down on usage, it is a good thing that artists are being compensated for their work. Heck, I just read this past week that a theatre had to shut down its performances because the set design was too close to the original. So it looked like they had stolen the design from the original designer.

So is there a dead zone for the music sound or are they chopped out?

Thinking of the old radio rule "Thou shalt not have dead air".

So is there a dead zone for the music sound or are they chopped out?

Thinking of the old radio rule "Thou shalt not have dead air".

Yes. It has an unmarked grave in Stephen King's Pet Sematary.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 2

I wonder if a year ago when all of this started (I believe it was first brought up after the MidWest Band Clinic occurred) this is how it went down:

Tresona offered its services (multimedia hosting, etc) to DCI, and DCI declined. Then, Tresona pushed back by reinterpreting or specifically interpreting the copyright laws for syncing video to audio correctly thus making it very difficult for groups like DCI, Music for All (BOA), etc. to sell videos.

For those that don't know, Tresona not only offers licensing services to music teachers, directors, conductors, etc., but also offers a multimedia website where groups can actually sell downloads of their concerts, recordings etc, and share in the profit with Tresona. Tresona takes care of all the video/audio licensing, and, if you watch their introductory video on their page, they even pay for the licensing as sales are made thru the website, so its not a one-time upfront fee like DCI may be dealing with right now.

Honestly, if this is what happened, it is going to be tough for any of the organizations like DCI and BOA. They may have to either join ranks with Tresona and share profits, or not and discontinue making video products in any fashion, including downloads.

This is just speculation of course...but after watching the Tresona video on their web page, it made me wonder.

Or maybe DCI/WGI/BOA/etc. should partner up with Tresona: not necessarily for the profits (which I suspect are not huge either-way), but for helping deliver the service to their fans, students, educators, etc.

I can understand why DCI et al. wouldn't want to put their product on a third-party company server or whatnot, but at this point maybe it would be prudent to play ball/play nice. The industry is not going to change in favor of DCI, DCI is not going to have finances able to fight the industry, and publishers are not going to want to give up their rights for free/cheap (for the most part - some obviously will). Seems if there is a financially viable solution to partner up with Tresona it would maybe be prudent for all involved to work together.

** note ** obviously we're all just speculating/spit-balling/discussing with parts of the full story; I'm willing to concede that there is far more to the story than I/we know and perhaps collaboration is not possible.