Stanford Band at it again...

Honestly, they're just having fun. They have a long history of being like this - if their performances are not hurting anyone, why not let them continue? It's a good laugh and they're just kids blowing off some steam and having fun. There are enough college marching bands trying to appear more than they are and do corps-style shows - it's literally just band. As someone currently in one of the biggest, most recognized, most popular, and most historical college marching bands in the United States, I can tell you that a lot of the hype and the 'tradition' comes from being rowdy in our own unique way - and not many people in the band want it to be more than just fun.

In short - It's. Just. Band. Don't make it out to be more than it is. Corps is corps (I march both in a drum corps and in college band), and band is band. Let them be their own thing. It's just band.

Edited by rr4353
  • Like 2

1984....VK's first time in finals. Those of us in the field for retreat were upset at it as well.

...yah that was "choice" (obscure SoCal term for Bichin')! Your DM's helped popularize the chairs at, I believe, the BD home show in '82 by bringing the VK DM's sodas to sip whilst relaxing! '84 ...I was an observer having taken time off to work jobs, but was able to be in the stands for my corps, and my boos turned to laughs as the crowd reacted!

...and I'm a HUGE fan of Stanford's band! Anarchy in field performance at its best...of course everybody knows (everybody who's familiar with their antics, that is...) that the latest halftime outrage (heh) was TAME!

As to the matter of "taste," it also might be well to remember that there are many within the realm of music who would question the very fitness of such "classical" standards as "Elsa's Procession" and Barber's "Adagio for Strings" as presented on the marching field. Personally, I don't see a problem with such programming...but there are many of my brethren who DO see a problem with it. In many matters, "Taste" lies within the realm of the individual, and for every arrow which one may cast against those who are in disagreement, many will be coming back their way in response.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

IIRC, there is no director of the Stanford Band.

It's student-run by a group known as the Stanford Marching Unit Technicians. Seriously. You can't make stuff like that up. When it existed, the student staff at WCU was the Field Operations Council, known kind of semi-affectionally as the "FOCK" but it was there as an adjunct to teach the shows Wells and Villella put together and had designed for us.

The University of Virginia gunned their similar organization down- I'd say it was a set-up by the College President after they performed a show he approved for their UVA/WVU game that honked off the West Virginians which then enabled him to install a pretty darned good guy who I marched with in college and is a Cadets Alumni.

Much depends on who is in charge at a University and what people have come to expect. For many of these schools like Stanford, it operates effectively as an "Anti-band", is a lot cheaper for the institution, and frankly, many schools that have an organizations like that have few if any Music Majors.

They're usually thought of as quite entertaining by the institution's alumni and students, who just would like a fun halftime program. You don't need "Tilt" to do that for a half drunken college crowd. :satisfied: All you need is a "Salute to Fruit" where the band makes an Apple, Banana, and Orange for their three sets and plays loud and pokes fun at their opponent. :satisfied:

• Like 1

They're usually thought of as quite entertaining by the institution's alumni and students, who just would like a fun halftime program. You don't need "Tilt" to do that for a half drunken college crowd. :satisfied:All you need is a "Salute to Fruit" where the band makes an Apple, Banana, and Orange for their three sets and plays loud and pokes fun at their opponent. :satisfied:

Complete with "Strawberry Soup?"

• Like 1

My issue with the Stanford band is their obviously putrid playing....irregardless of their attempts at humor.

• Like 3

As I said in an earlier post, if you find it entertaining, then who am I to argue? But no thanks, I'll pass.

Regards as always, thanks for the dialogue.

Fred O.

...and as I stated above, " I do not particularly care for their style" of schtick. So I did not state that I liked them nor that I find them all that " entertaining" either. I don't think they are all that " entertaining ". At all. And never said so above either. But they sure are a lighting rod in the marching band circles, where a lot of people either love their schtick or hate their schtick. I do find their approach to marching band campy to say the least. But " entertaining " ? Nah, not as " entertaining " anyway as watching so many of their detractors get all bent out of shape and so ANGRY with their brand of University Marching Band. That overeaction does seem funny to me that they are able to successfully get such a rise out of some people on their campy and unserious approach to marching up and down football fields and on city streets and tooting on horns, and banging on drums in parade and football game half time exhibitions primarily meant to be filled with joy and frivolity in the first place, imo. And lets not forget that some of the more " serious " university marching bands have been burdened by all sorts of bad things their members and Band Directors have been engaged in. I assume most here have read these stories and police blotters on more than a few of these more stylish and handsome looking " serious " University Marching Bands. So sometimes the hypocrisy itself can bring a chuckle to those paying attention.

Edited by BRASSO

"It's a good laugh..."

Depends on your point of view, I suppose. Not trying to be a self-righteous blowhard, and as I said earlier, if you find it entertaining, indulge yourself, by all means. But Standford, Princeton, any of the various "bands" of that ilk - I don't find them entertaining at all, either musically or humor-wise.

Fred O.