Stanford Band at it again...

It was over for me several years ago when, on national television, the band decided to butcher the National Anthem. I'm sure that wasn't the first time they've done this to draw attention to themselves. And unlike several individuals in various corps who found it prudent to hang notes and generally destroy America the Beautiful, this was a full-band effort to play poorly during pre-game.

They're NOT doing things to be fun. They're doing things out of arrogance, malice, and spite because it humors THEM. There's more than ample evidence that confirms this.

• Like 2

you know why? because their band and their antics get 10000000000 times the national attention drum corps does.

Honestly, I would much rather that the drum corps activity remain hidden from general public viewing than get the kind of attention that the Stanford band gets.

Edited by Fish
  • Like 2

It's very hard for me to offer any unbiased opinions here, being a Cal guy and all. But, for what it's worth I will pass along this tip about how to easily spot a Stanford marching band member. It's simple really, just look for Stanford on their class ring when they're picking their nose.

Bada Bing, Bada Boom

• Like 2

Honestly, I would much rather that the drum corps activity remain hidden from general public viewing than get the kind of attention that the Stanford band gets.

Perhaps reality TV with Cadets and BD will change that...good or bad?...guess we will find out...

While I am no fan of Stanford's band, I do kind of dig what they represent: anti-authority, anti-tradition, "comedy," etc. What I do not dig at all is what they also represent: anti-achievement, anti-basic proficiency, etc. I don't mind that they're controversial, take cheap shots at opposition (the Iowa thing, jabs they've taken to Notre Dame over the years, USC and Cal jabs, etc) or do stuff to have fun. I wish they backed their psuedo-anarchic demeanor by performing better.

I wonder what Stanford students/alum think of the band: fun, embarrassing, somewhere in between?

Obviously, the Alumni don't care. If the right well-heeled ones did, this would have been put down like what happened at the University of Virginia. There, the College President obviously had it in for them, and my guess is that important Alumni with money helped him along with the decision. I do believe that in that case, some Alumni offered serious money to equip the band and pay for the director of a "Real" Marching Band at UVA as well.

Follow the money. :satisfied:

I do have one question: Why do we criticize the Stanford Band members for being classless and disrespectful when we see halftime shows that make fun of their rivals time and time again? (For example, Ohio State's antics against Michigan among others, and Michigan's "Script Ohno").

As a tOSU alum, I could care less about what others do to tease Ohio State or their rivals. Also, FWIW Stanford did the "Script Oh No" in 2014 (to which I laughed) http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/10/25/7070499/is-stanfords-band-spelling-ohio-state-oh-no

The diff there, however, is VK could actually PLAY!

There were some pretty questionable years of quality from VK if we're being honest: they weren't all Top 10/Finalist corps that were also irreverent. There were some years where it seemed the "joke" came FAR before the quality execution.

There were some awesome VK corps for sure, but there were some raunchy-in-a-bad-way ones as well...

• Like 1

Joking against the opposing school is one thing. Insults towards people not connected to the team you're playing against is another. Just get that "I'm so superior to you peasants" nose in the air crap vibe.

Trying to remember the "Salute to West Virginia" years back which had dumb jokes towards inbreeding, chemical leaks, etc. If such things were of a racial/religious matter doubt if the band would be around.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Trying to remember the "Salute to West Virginia" years back which had dumb jokes towards inbreeding, chemical leaks, etc. If such things were of a racial/religious matter doubt if the band would be around.

Check the band's Wiki page - they've done a *lot* of tasteless religious "jokes" at Notre Dame games, including their DM dressing like a nun and conducting with a wooden cross.

Mike

doesn't matter if I've seen them live. I don't watch a college band for quality because you have kids in there only because they need the credit.

As I said, i'm not saying Stanford is great. I'm saying that in the grand scheme of things, what they do gets far more attention in the real world than drum corps does. So cry about quality all you want, they're known to far more people than drum corps is.

Your argument has morphed from....they are entertaining and harmless fun and sarcasm...to discussing their quality. I'm not saying you need to see them live to see their quality. I'm saying you need to see them live to appreciate their real vulgarity, and that what do significantly departs from good clean fun and teasing. Until you do get the "full experience" live, I can understand how you would tend to think...."what's the big deal"?