Stanford Band at it again...

And what do you mean by "national admirers" and "lots of people seem to like and enjoy their campy style"? What people? Ex-Stanford band members?

Look, if you're a student at Stanford, you've already won the lottery. You're the cream of the crop, the elite. So why the university allows this infantile behavior to continue is beyond me. It's not campy, it's not satire. Those things would require some creativity. No, a performance like this is something a middle schooler would come up with. There's not creativity to it, it's gutter immaturity on a national stage, by a bunch of elite little children who know they are better than you, and will be your boss someday. They are arrogant fools. And ESPN saw it coming and cut them off. That was the best part.

you know why? because their band and their antics get 10000000000 times the national attention drum corps does.

• Like 1

The diff there, however, is VK could actually PLAY!

but the playing is what has people all butt hurt and offended. they had a cow and did a drill set to some farmer website.

as someone else mentioned, Ohio and Michigan do stuff all year long, even on weeks they don't play each other and it's all good fun. I went to a PSU/MSU game and you should have heard what the Blue Band sang...in the stands...when MSU played their fight song! It rivaled any corps bus song.

So they choose to sound like #### and play goofy things and think they're funny. I tend not to think about them at all, and voila, no issue.

• Like 1

but the playing is what has people all butt hurt and offended. they had a cow and did a drill set to some farmer website.

as someone else mentioned, Ohio and Michigan do stuff all year long, even on weeks they don't play each other and it's all good fun. I went to a PSU/MSU game and you should have heard what the Blue Band sang...in the stands...when MSU played their fight song! It rivaled any corps bus song.

So they choose to sound like #### and play goofy things and think they're funny. I tend not to think about them at all, and voila, no issue.

Yeah, nice try. I'm guessing you also haven't experience the Stanford band live. The Michigan-Ohio State rivalry is borne out the respect that each side has for the other, that goes back decades. The back-and-forth between the two schools is good natured and everybody knows it. I say this as a Michigan alumnus. There really is no comparison between that and the humorless childish nonsense (and horrible playing) foisted upon a captive audience by the Stanford band. Did you read the post by the Oklahoma band director? Do you think for one second that the OSU or Michigan bands would even think about encircling the others' director and drum major and bleating endlessly for 15 minutes? Never. I'm sure the OJ Simpson parody the Standford band did at a USC game was hilarious. Right. The Stanford band gets attention, for all the wrong reasons. And their antics reflect exactly on the narcissitsic nature of these spoiled immature children.....as well as the middle aged stoners that also apparently are a part of the band, from my personal observations.

• Like 2

just to play devils advocate, we had VK where the bull beat the matador, then lifted it's leg and relieved itself on the fallen matador.

but we find that funny

...and the matador wasn't an opposing corps rep, either.

(I don't think; was there a "matador" corps back then?)

Yeah, nice try. I'm guessing you also haven't experience the Stanford band live. The Michigan-Ohio State rivalry is borne out the respect that each side has for the other, that goes back decades. The back-and-forth between the two schools is good natured and everybody knows it. I say this as a Michigan alumnus. There really is no comparison between that and the humorless childish nonsense (and horrible playing) foisted upon a captive audience by the Stanford band. Did you read the post by the Oklahoma band director? Do you think for one second that the OSU or Michigan bands would even think about encircling the others' director and drum major and bleating endlessly for 15 minutes? Never. I'm sure the OJ Simpson parody the Standford band did at a USC game was hilarious. Right. The Stanford band gets attention, for all the wrong reasons. And their antics reflect exactly on the narcissitsic nature of these spoiled immature children.....as well as the middle aged stoners that also apparently are a part of the band, from my personal observations.

Oh, and THIS.

Creating a drill to have Snoopy dogfight a Wolverine, done with class and talent, is a significant departure from what Stanford attempts, and is not an apt comparison of relative vulgarity, IMO. Stanford vs. Yale vs. Harvard vs. Brown would be apt possibly, but not the OSU/UofM rivalry.

Oh, and THIS.

Creating a drill to have Snoopy dogfight a Wolverine, done with class and talent, is a significant departure from what Stanford attempts, and is not an apt comparison of relative vulgarity, IMO. Stanford vs. Yale vs. Harvard vs. Brown would be apt possibly, but not the OSU/UofM rivalry.

Regiment the year they did "Carnival of the Animals" comes to mind as a good example...the SCV/Madison quotes were pretty obvious...and not in bad taste or offensive at all (besides, Saint-Seans did the same thing in his original)...and I understand Gail Royer loved it when VK did a take on "Bottle Dance" in 92.

doesn't matter if I've seen them live. I don't watch a college band for quality because you have kids in there only because they need the credit.

As I said, i'm not saying Stanford is great. I'm saying that in the grand scheme of things, what they do gets far more attention in the real world than drum corps does. So cry about quality all you want, they're known to far more people than drum corps is.

• Like 1

...and the matador wasn't an opposing corps rep, either.

(I don't think; was there a "matador" corps back then?)

the DCA Rhode Island Matadors last competed in 1987. VK was safe by a season

doesn't matter if I've seen them live. I don't watch a college band for quality because you have kids in there only because they need the credit.

As I said, i'm not saying Stanford is great. I'm saying that in the grand scheme of things, what they do gets far more attention in the real world than drum corps does. So cry about quality all you want, they're known to far more people than drum corps is.

Quality can be a relative term, ranging from the imaginary ISIS All-Mideast Honor Band and the Stanford Marching Band on the low end, to Ohio State and a few others in college on the other end. I don't agree that all college bands are just for credit or just for fun. However, I suspect that many are. And, 'in the grand scheme of things,' I doubt there are many viewers out there who view a Stanford performance and come away thinking that the dreck on display was awesome sauce.

• Like 1

Also, the leader of the Stanford band gave am explanation about the halftime show on their FB page.