Stanford Band at it again...

Rice University's Marching Owl Band (MOB) in Houston does a similar style, but honestly, to me a little less edgy and a bit funnier.

Mike

The MOB (almost as quirky as Duke University's Marching Band a/k/a DUMB) stands in a most unusual legacy and a school signature which proclaims: "Unconventional Wisdom."

From Rice's own webpage: "On September 23, 1900, Rice was chloroformed to death by his valet, Charlie Jones, who had conspired with an unscrupulous lawyer, Albert Patrick, to murder the aging millionaire and claim his estate using a forged will. When an autopsy ordered by Rice's attorney, Captain James A. Baker, revealed evidence of poisoning, Jones agreed to provide state's evidence in return for immunity from prosecution. Patrick was convicted of murder and sent to Sing Sing. He was pardoned in 1912, the same year that classes began at the Rice Institute."

For those of us who dug the irreverent humor of Firesign Theater, the Stanford schtick would be a lot more palatable if they could play their buns off; but Stanford lacks any cred on the musical front....... Just poseurs, imho.

I'm not sure if poseurs is exactly fair; I think the band is pretty 'inviting' with their policy that anyone can be in the band, if you don't have an instrument they'll find one for you, if you can't play an instrument, someone will help facilitate, etc. That's what I've heard, and it's not necessarily one of nefarious posing or whatnot: more like a bunch of college kids wanting to have fun supporting their school regardless of talent. I'm not sure if this is true, but I'm of the understanding that one doesn't necessarily need to commit to weekly rehearsals to be in the band, and if someone just wanted to show up one week and join (I think they only rehearse once a week); that may not be entirely true, but that's my understanding of their "policy."

Again, I agree that if they performed better it wouldn't be a big issue, or if they were a little more tame (and not having alcohol issues, as the inquiry found them guilty of as recently as last spring: http://news.stanford.edu/news/2015/may/band-reform-statement-051515.html which oddly enough sanctions were seemingly in place that prevented them from traveling with the team, explicitly mentioning bowl games) maybe their lack of outstanding talent would be more palatable. The combination of the two obviously offends many

The Stanford band is what happens when "Lord of the Flies" meets dorky trust fund kids.

I think their comedy can be pretty funny, and I'm all about giving aspects of the college game over to the students. When schools/athletic departments take absolute control of everything, it gets pretty lame. I begrudgingly admire the spirit of the Stanford band.

With that being said, the Stanford band sucks ... and every time they take the field, I secretly pray for the opposing team to run them over again.

• Like 3

I suppose if your not a college football fan you probably didn't hear about this yesterday, but the Stanford Band, who has a history of poor taste shows did it again yesterday to IOWA, which I am a big fan of. The Band Director should be fired for this. What a classless act. Glad the BIG10 College bands have respect.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/05/15/stanford-cardinal-band-road-game-ban-travel

just to play devils advocate, we had VK where the bull beat the matador, then lifted it's leg and relieved itself on the fallen matador.

but we find that funny

• Like 1

just to play devils advocate, we had VK where the bull beat the matador, then lifted it's leg and relieved itself on the fallen matador.

but we find that funny

Thank you, Jeff.

Thanks for all the feedback/comments/viewpoints. I appreciate it all. =)

I do have one question: Why do we criticize the Stanford Band members for being classless and disrespectful when we see halftime shows that make fun of their rivals time and time again? (For example, Ohio State's antics against Michigan among others, and Michigan's "Script Ohno").

exactly