Stanford Band at it again...

The Stanford band performing at the Rose Bowl was way bigger than they usually are. The actual band is about half that size. So I'm assuming that they got others to "perform" just for the Rose Bowl. They have always been this way from at least the early 80's. Remember the trombone player and the "PLAY" in the Big Game btw Cal. and Stanford in 1982? I call them the anti-traditional marching band as they don't actually march like a college band.

The Game incident was more because they were too dumb to realize the play was still in progress than anything else.

• Like 4

Ironically, Northern Illinois football players did this very thing with a DCI Corps a few years ago (ie, " ran over them " ), but most here on DCP were horrified with that incident. I'm not sure a Marching Band ( or Drum Corps if we prefer) that we don't particularly like should be " run over " and subjected to possble physical injury as a result. That said, if people want to see Marching Band members run over by football players, they are entitled to that hoped for future occurance.... but it does seem quite a bit extreme to me to call for something like this to occur once again to a marching band and its members.

The difference that Stanford's band was just stupid....the NI incident was deliberate.

• Like 5

Thanks, looked at the article and the comments are even better....

My fav is the one that includes "kind of like how drunks find themselves hilarious but everyone else..."

The Game incident was more because they were too dumb to realize the play was still in progress than anything else.

Player was down; it was the REFS too dumb to realize the play SHOULD HAVE been called dead long before the players got anywhere near the band :tounge2:

(yes, I live in CA and have heard stories about The Game from both Cal and Stanford folks many times over the years)

Player was down; it was the REFS too dumb to realize the play SHOULD HAVE been called dead long before the players got anywhere near the band :tounge2:

(yes, I live in CA and have heard stories about The Game from both Cal and Stanford folks many times over the years)

The play was still coming towards the band regardless....you don't enter the field until the refs actually DO call the play over.

We were smarter at SDSU...we never cross the sidelines until the players were actually leaving.

I am shocked the Stanford Band is banned from traveling to away games for one year. They should be banned from ALL games, permanently or until such time a professional band director is placed in charge.

The Stanford band is totally classless and serves no purpose except to embarrass the marching community. All marching members from HS bands, to college bands, to drum and bugle corps are marked when this travesty of a marching program does, well, virtually anything.

Tear it down and start over. Or just give the program the death penalty like they do football programs that cannot be redeemed. Either way, marching band and drum corps members and their fans win. Give the extra time on the field at halftime to classy bands, like Iowa.

Hmm. Reading this concerns me.

I'm not doing this in an angry way, but this is a teachable moment kind of thing.

Comments like these are the kind of from the top of the tower high-handed arrogant kind of attitude that Stanford thrives on making fun of and mocking the bejeezus out of, and for this very reason. :satisfied:

They're Dadaist. Likely not consciously, but they are. They're a marching band version of Marcel Duchamp taking a urinal, turning it on it's side and presenting it at an art exhibit as "The Fountain".

They're trying to deliberately provoke folks who are too stuffy. :satisfied:

I'm not saying anyone has to like it, enjoy it, appreciate it.... but to go overboard on the outrage, well, that's a symbol of the times. No need to ban-hammer these guys. Just shake your head and move on. :satisfied:

There have been some pretty outrageous things in corps shows in the past in DCA and DCI- I can list a few. What happened is that in those cases, things got dealt with and the shows had changes made. Mainly because their scores weren't where the corps wanted them to be. Competition has some positive effects. :satisfied:

I think Fawber remembers the DCA show (corps will not be named) that did the music from "Patton" and formed a swastika when the music from the German attack was played. That's a bit before my time. I was told there was a lot of outrage on that one... Same corps whipped Jesus on the 50 in 1979. Also held him at gunpoint.

Still remember heckling a DCI corps in the late 80's at East prelims where the color guard paired up and the men laid down on top of the women in an obvious sexual pose. At best second base and sliding into 3rd. That got changed for finals weekend. :satisfied:

So, stuff happens like this, it's happened over the history of the activity, Drum corps is not immune or better then this....

When it happens-- just do the Mystery Science Theater thing, heckle the heck out of it and laugh at it! As the MST3K theme song says....

"Repeat to yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax!" :cool:

Have stuff to do- but please folks, don't stand from the high hill and proclaim on this one.

Now the issues they had with force feeding booze.. yes, I think the University should have punished them and did appropriately. On that tack, and Fawber will agree, We never had to force anyone at Westshore to drink till they barfed, that was all voluntarily. We didn't have a Euphonium player known as "Chunks" for nothing.... :silly:

Edited by BigW
  • Like 3

Patton I missed.... Jesus getting whipped is memoriable because of a comment our Business Manager (and later DCA VP) saying.

"You think we're tough when you are late for practice. <name of corps> beats you".

Yeah picture Bucknell Stadium in quiet shock during the whipping, except for a bunch of us in uniform laughing. Oooops

Doing the Pledge crap reminds me of my one college roomie who was ex-Army. He pledged until he realized he couldn't wait to get out of the Army and quit taking orders from maniacs. So what do you do when you pledge except take orders from maniacs..... in this case maniacs who couldn't do the stuff he did when he was service (mostly MP work). So much for pledging.... When I hear it's a bonding experience I hear my dads favorite saying in such cases "Oh Bulll####".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I am shocked the Stanford Band is banned from traveling to away games for one year. They should be banned from ALL games, permanently or until such time a professional band director is placed in charge.

The Stanford band is totally classless and serves no purpose except to embarrass the marching community. All marching members from HS bands, to college bands, to drum and bugle corps are marked when this travesty of a marching program does, well, virtually anything.

Tear it down and start over. Or just give the program the death penalty like they do football programs that cannot be redeemed. Either way, marching band and drum corps members and their fans win. Give the extra time on the field at halftime to classy bands, like Iowa.

I managed to avoid this thread until today. Now that I have caught up, I am noticing a certain trend.