2016 Uniform Thread

Because the uniforms they wear don't fit the show. It would be great to see Cadets ditch the old look completely for something fresh. I applaud them for taking a step and changing the colors and adding the stone look, but they could have gone all the way and ditched the shakos and military look of the jacket. Maybe this is one step towards it. Many I'm missing it, but I've never seen a statue of someone wearing a shako and plume. Put any of these uniforms on a WGI Percussion group and would look so out of place now a-days. At least in WGI, what they wear is an attempt to match the detail of the show, the floor, etc.

There's no Music City Mystique Uniform or Rhythm X uniform so why is it different when it's outside during the summer?

I've never heard anyone ever mention eye protection in all my years of marching. If it's a concern, every drum corps should wear their headgear during the day and definitely during late night ensemble for those extremely bright stadium lights.

I speak as someone who helped found WGI.

You've yet to define your premise other than "that's what WGI does" (my words summarizing your paragraphs.) Why not pick NASCAR or the NHL?

Why ditch 80 years of tradition and success for some nebulous inkling based on only your "feelings?"

• Like 1

Maybe I'm showing my age, but it just doesn't bother me much if a corps uniform doesn't "match the show". I guess I understand the need to have unconstricted movement with the dance/body work often incorporated, and maybe it does look odd to see someone rolling on the ground in a cadet-style jacket and shako, etc. But I kinda like that most groups sorta have "their" look that they stick to more often than not. Color guard costuming is enough for me with regard to show content, I suppose.

• Like 2

Because the uniforms they wear don't fit the show. It would be great to see Cadets ditch the old look completely for something fresh. I applaud them for taking a step and changing the colors and adding the stone look, but they could have gone all the way and ditched the shakos and military look of the jacket. Maybe this is one step towards it. Many I'm missing it, but I've never seen a statue of someone wearing a shako and plume. Put any of these uniforms on a WGI Percussion group and would look so out of place now a-days. At least in WGI, what they wear is an attempt to match the detail of the show, the floor, etc.

There's no Music City Mystique Uniform or Rhythm X uniform so why is it different when it's outside during the summer?

I've never heard anyone ever mention eye protection in all my years of marching. If it's a concern, every drum corps should wear their headgear during the day and definitely during late night ensemble for those extremely bright stadium lights.

It was a requirement when I marched to wear a hat at all rehearsals outsode until the sun was down.

Because it doesn't fit the show. I stated that in my post.

You are in a circular reasoning pattern.

Why does that matter in the past three years when it hasn't mattered in all the decades of DCI, WGI, and BOA previously? Why such a heavy emphasis to make the uniform and costume companies and designers richer now, especially when so many deal with much deeper economic questions like tour fees, college tuitions, food on the table, insurances, and even the very existance of units themselves.

For those looking at the simplified uniform of Phantom Regiment in black, don't doubt that there is an economic struggle underpinning that decision as compared to other choices.

Edited by xandandl

I'm a part of the much younger audience of DCI fans, the ones who are more likely to say "to hell with tradition," and the ones more likely to love the direction of corps like Crown and to throw the stink eye at corps like Phantom and Cadets.

And I do have a lot of progressive tendencies that I'm sure a lot of DCP users on here can attest to.

But at the same time you have to realize that there can successfully be a middle ground. Corps like BD and Bluecoats show this beautifully. You can be successful in DCI without becoming WGI-fest. You can match uniforms to show themes without straying to far into an activity that is not ours. You can have productions that are modern, incorporate dance, tell a story, adopt a simple theme, etc and still not appear archaic.

I think that corps do have to accept the modernization of DCI, but there is a grey area. There is no need for corps to go full on WGI to remain entertaining and competent. I think corps like Crown stray too far into WGI whereas corps like Cadets have stuck too close to their roots. I think the changes Cadets have made this year are great, and from what I've heard, they still have maintained their signature sound, their velocity drill, while at the same time incorporating more modern costuming, staging, and dance.

I'm a part of the much younger audience of DCI fans, the ones who are more likely to say "to hell with tradition," and the ones more likely to love the direction of corps like Crown and to throw the stink eye at corps like Phantom and Cadets.

And I do have a lot of progressive tendencies that I'm sure a lot of DCP users on here can attest to.

But at the same time you have to realize that there can successfully be a middle ground. Corps like BD and Bluecoats show this beautifully. You can be successful in DCI without becoming WGI-fest. You can match uniforms to show themes without straying to far into an activity that is not ours. You can have productions that are modern, incorporate dance, tell a story, adopt a simple theme, etc and still not appear archaic.

I think that corps do have to accept the modernization of DCI, but there is a grey area. There is no need for corps to go full on WGI to remain entertaining and competent. I think corps like Crown stray too far into WGI whereas corps like Cadets have stuck too close to their roots. I think the changes Cadets have made this year are great, and from what I've heard, they still have maintained their signature sound, their velocity drill, while at the same time incorporating more modern costuming, staging, and dance.

Very, very well said and reasoned, but only 92.3 per cent in agreement. :-)