New BD CEO

I just hope Justin is given the latitude to be his own person, otherwise I would not be surprised that he will move around 3 seasons as he had done elsewhere with corps and schools

Gibblets comments on today's DCI web-page makes me curious to see how it all pans out.

I wouldn't worry about Justin being able to be his own person. One thing Jerry Seawright did when he started the bugle side of the org was -- in his own words -- hire the right people for the job and then let them DO their job,

BD has not become the consistent powerhouse they have been -- with probably the best staff retention in the biz -- by not following that philosophy.

• Like 2

Justin Heimbecker issued this statement: "Spending the better part of 13 years with YEA! has been an incredible experience. From marching member, to instructor, to administrator, to program leader, I am so appreciative of the opportunity to contribute and to learn from George and the entire family at YEA!. I look forward to continuing a positive working relationship between BD Performing Arts and Youth Education in the Arts for years to come, as we all work to provide incredible experiences for young people around the world."

To continue this thread on its substantive and serious side, maybe it's time to replicate the thread comparing Allentown and Indy (cf. DeaninChicago @http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/163771-dci-eastern-classic-vs-dci-finals/page-3) by comparing Allentown to Concord to ease JH's transition.

For instance, Allentown has J. Birney Crum Stadium, the Fairground Farmer's Market, Dorney Park, funnel cakes and Yocco's. Concord has Mars, Claim Jumper, In and Out Burger and is the birthplace of Tom Hanks and Dave Brubeck whose music BD did in 2003.

Allentown hotels are often filled with folks going to the Bethlehem's Musikfest and Summer Music Festival. Concord has its Jazz Fest.

Allentown's drum corps was originally known as Holy Name.

Concord itself was originally founded as Tontos Santos (All Saints), quickly changed its name and ended up with the Devils named after Mt. Diablo, where earthquake faults merge. [imagine what if the founding fathers of Concord had kept Todos Santos, the drum corps might have been the Blue Saints.]

Your turn.

Edited by xandandl

Interesting, Cadets and BD move once step closer to officially combining and wiping out all other drum corps to become KING BANDO CORPORATION

That would be one strong corps but question is, who would be on the staff and house this unfathomable beast?

Edited by Screamer

Interesting, Cadets and BD move once step closer to officially combining and wiping out all other drum corps to become KING BANDO CORPORATION

I know you're being facetious, but there's zero chance of that happening. The philosophies of the two organizations are 180 degrees apart.

I wouldn't worry about Justin being able to be his own person. One thing Jerry Seawright did when he started the bugle side of the org was -- in his own words -- hire the right people for the job and then let them DO their job,

BD has not become the consistent powerhouse they have been -- with probably the best staff retention in the biz -- by not following that philosophy.

Too bad some organizations are too blind to realize how well this philosophy works.

I know you're being facetious, but there's zero chance of that happening. The philosophies of the two organizations are 180 degrees apart.

Could you summarize those philosophical differences?

I have noticed Mr. Gibbs hasn't been around as much. He had one serous run though.

Dave's been involved with BD pretty much his entire life, starting as a soprano player in 1974 (15-16 years old, going by his ageout year of 1980). I think he's earned some degree of backing off,