Blue Knights 2016

RPK

They're (87.625 - 84.938) = 2.687 away from 6th. That's a pretty big spread to overcome, but it's possible.

Conversely, Cavaliers are ( 88.050 - 87.625) = 0.425 from 5th place and ( 90.875 - 87.625) = 1.7 away from 4th place, so those are easier gaps to overcome.

...and if I'm going to dream really big, Cavaliers are (90.875 - 87.625) = 3.25 from 3rd....

On the bright side for BK fans. they're only ( 88.050 - 84.938) = 3.112 from 5th place at the moment. They surely can make up that deficit!

So all you people who started the season saying BK had a shot for 3rd weren't predicting that in vain. It's actually bizarre how close the field is this year.

I said that days ago. After watching last night, I think Blue Stars will and should beat them for 7th. I'm not a Blue Stars fan, so it took me a while to really watch their show without bias, and it is one of the best designed shows of the season. It certainly has more content and demand than BK's. If they perform on par with BK they will beat them.

• Like 1

I said that days ago. After watching last night, I think Blue Stars will and should beat them for 7th. I'm not a Blue Stars fan, so it took me a while to really watch their show without bias, and it is one of the best designed shows of the season. It certainly has more content and demand than BK's. If they perform on par with BK they will beat them.

I was just catching up and wanted to run the numbers to see how close you were to the truth regarding how close BK was to 6th.

You know, it really is a crap shoot for 7th - 9th this year.

Have you heard how dense BK's brass book is? Or how musical the battery and pit are? Have you seen how constantly spread out they are? They don't stop moving when they're playing. Their show is a work of art. I think you should reevaluate that statement about Stars having more content and demand. I have to watch BK's show twice just too see everything going on. Don't get me wrong stars are great, I just can't see where you're coming from when you talk about Knights having less demand and content. Edited by ilovecheese
  • Like 3

Have you heard how dense BK's brass book is? Or how musical the battery and pit are? Have you seen how constantly spread out they are? They don't stop moving when they're playing. Their show is a work of art. I think you should reevaluate that statement about Stars having more content and demand. I have to watch BK's show twice just too see everything going on. Don't get me wrong stars are great, I just can't see where you're coming from when you talk about Knights having less demand and content.

I've seen both shows multiple times, and I don't watch shows with bias. If anything, I have a pro-BK and anti-BS bias. I'd rather see BK, Regiment, Crossmen and Scouts beat Blue Stars this year, but I don't think that's going to happen. While I am in love with BK's show, I don't think the content and demand is there to stay ahead of Blue Stars, much less pass the Cavies.

People often think just because a show is "out there" that it's some artistic marvel that has tons of content and demand, without really seeing/hearing what is in fact there. BK has a great show. After SCV, it is my favorite, but at the end of the day my thoughts on Cavies vs BK are very similar to my thoughts on Blue Stars vs BK.

Guard - Stars guard is much more integrated. BK's guard, although performing very well, is not well integrated into the corps. Their guard is usually framing the rest of the corps. In otherwords, they are not an integral part of the drill. Flags spend most of their time in the far back of the field. Blue Stars guard is much more integrated into the show, and their presence is more noticeable. BS's guard book is also more demanding and effective, in part, because they are fully integrated with the corps proper. Advantage here is definitely in favor of BS.

Drill - BK doesn't really have a readable drill. Lots of scatter sets, and no compelling transitions from one set to the next. You could almost take a snapshot of the field, at any given time, and the snapshot would feature a scatter plot. Blue Star's drill is amazing this year. Transitions are very good, exciting and very effective. As I said above, guard is fully integrated and and equal part of the visual from a drill standpoint. BS's drill is very readable and one set easily flows into the next set. Very very demanding compared to BK's, and more effective. Drill reminds me of Cavies.

Music - While BK has one of my favorite books this year, the simultaneous demands on the musical ensemble are just not there compared to BS. Lots of body movements, dancing and running in scatter sets. It doesn't detract from the fact, that the ensemble, as a whole, is just not marching a difficult drill while playing. They also seem to fire up the volume and demand when standing still. Blue Stars line is playing while marching that challenging drill, that includes intricate transitions. It's not hitting one set, moving in scatter drill, like BK, and hitting another set. It's coming together very well, which is why they passed Regiment, and why their scores are increasing faster than BK.

Percussion - I don't know diddly about percussion, but from what others in the know have said, I believe percussion would be an advantage for the Stars.

I think by the end of the season, BK will only lead Blue Stars in brass. Blue Stars program is just much more demanding and well conceived than BK's. I still like BK's show better, but they need to up the visual demand. Remember, they were 11th in VA last year at quarters - a placement that should have continued through finals.

Edited by henry7184

Percussion - I don't know diddly about percussion, but from what others in the know have said, I believe percussion would be an advantage for the Stars.

BK book is sooooo much more demanding musically than most people think. The orchestral approach they take is very impressive. And while BS percussion is good in it's own right, I don't see how they can can place above BK.

• Like 2

BK book is sooooo much more demanding musically than most people think. The orchestral approach they take is very impressive. And while BS percussion is good in it's own right, I don't see how they can can place above BK.

Think Blue Knights snares are out of this world and the overall approach to their arranging is sublime, but I think the tenors and basses are pretty evenly matched and IMO it's not even a contest in terms of front ensemble, no offense to BK.

I know Stars were a place or two ahead in San Antonio.

EASILY the two best percussion sections outside the big boys. Both are pretty evenly matched to me. Big fan of both.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

I've seen both shows multiple times, and I don't watch shows with bias. If anything, I have a pro-BK and anti-BS bias. I'd rather see BK, Regiment, Crossmen and Scouts beat Blue Stars this year, but I don't think that's going to happen. While I am in love with BK's show, I don't think the content and demand is there to stay ahead of Blue Stars, much less pass the Cavies.

People often think just because a show is "out there" that it's some artistic marvel that has tons of content and demand, without really seeing/hearing what is in fact there. BK has a great show. After SCV, it is my favorite, but at the end of the day my thoughts on Cavies vs BK are very similar to my thoughts on Blue Stars vs BK.

Guard - Stars guard is much more integrated. BK's guard, although performing very well, is not well integrated into the corps. Their guard is usually framing the rest of the corps. In otherwords, they are not an integral part of the drill. Flags spend most of their time in the far back of the field. Blue Stars guard is much more integrated into the show, and their presence is more noticeable. BS's guard book is also more demanding and effective, in part, because they are fully integrated with the corps proper. Advantage here is definitely in favor of BS.

Drill - BK doesn't really have a readable drill. Lots of scatter sets, and no compelling transitions from one set to the next. You could almost take a snapshot of the field, at any given time, and the snapshot would feature a scatter plot. Blue Star's drill is amazing this year. Transitions are very good, exciting and very effective. As I said above, guard is fully integrated and and equal part of the visual from a drill standpoint. BS's drill is very readable and one set easily flows into the next set. Very very demanding compared to BK's, and more effective. Drill reminds me of Cavies.

Music - While BK has one of my favorite books this year, the simultaneous demands on the musical ensemble are just not there compared to BS. Lots of body movements, dancing and running in scatter sets. It doesn't detract from the fact, that the ensemble, as a whole, is just not marching a difficult drill while playing. They also seem to fire up the volume and demand when standing still. Blue Stars line is playing while marching that challenging drill, that includes intricate transitions. It's not hitting one set, moving in scatter drill, like BK, and hitting another set. It's coming together very well, which is why they passed Regiment, and why their scores are increasing faster than BK.

I think by the end of the season, BK will only lead Blue Stars in brass. Blue Stars program is just much more demanding and well conceived than BK's. I still like BK's show better, but they need to up the visual demand. Remember, they were 11th in VA last year at quarters - a placement that should have continued through finals.

The thing to remember about BK nowadays is that they no longer do "traditional" drill or guard work. Now, their brass and drumline drill takes more of the center stage and their guard is quite integrated with them. They work together as a whole "theatrical" dance kind of way.

So...while your preference might lean toward the BS method, it's really not comparable to the BK method...except by the judges, of course. I don't envy them their job at all.

• Like 1

The thing to remember about BK nowadays is that they no longer do "traditional" drill or guard work. Now, their brass and drumline drill takes more of the center stage and their guard is quite integrated with them. They work together as a whole "theatrical" dance kind of way.

So...while your preference might lean toward the BS method, it's really not comparable to the BK method...except by the judges, of course. I don't envy them their job at all.

I don't even them at all either. It's a tough decision. I think BK probably has the higher level of talent, but BS have one of those shows that the judges would love to reward IMO. It's very very complex. If they are performing on the same level as BK, I think they will top them. That being said, I will never listen to BS show in the off season, but will listen to BK's all the time. I just love the music. I think their visually is lacking though from a demand and content standpoint. Much like last year. The only difference is, BS's show this year, is better than anything that was beneath BK last year.