DCI Minnesota--Change of Plans

Except the athletic program is incompetent and full of buffoons.

One year they lost thousands and thousands of dollars selling $8 cups of tap beer to the captured patrons of a football game!!!!

Yea, I'm sure the stadium officials looked something like this:

718.gif

$8 for a beer is about the average for a major conference college stadium.

• Like 1

http://www.usbankstadium.com/faq/

"The MSFA will maximize the use of the stadium by attracting events that create economical, fiscal and social benefits to the State and local communities, including NCAA competitions, a Super Bowl, college bowl games, concerts, civic, community and not-for-profit events."

It's owned/operated by the MFSA, not the Vikings. They are way more open to hosting events like this than you would think.

Also:

http://www.youthinmusic.org/

The owners of US Bank Stadium may very well be more open to hosting various events than the admin at U of M; and you pointed to Youth in Music as an example. Youth in Music is a fine organization; it is also relatively small organization based in St. Paul, MN and they market their Championships mainly to Minnesota High School Bands; also their yearly revenue does not come close to that of DCI. The owners of the stadium likely see them as a MN based organization in existence for the sake of MN based HS programs. Whereas DCI is by far a larger National Touring Organization based out of Indiana and generates far greater revenue; and all of their performing corps have no ties to any MN schools whatsoever. Thus it would be a good guess that DCI would be charged a greater lease fee to utilize the entire US Bank Stadium, akin to a nationally touring rock concert, than the MN Youth in Music.

Edited by Stu

DCI is foolish to go back yet again

• Like 3

Good chance it would be cheaper than the college facility.

well it is actually possible. If its a city owned and operated facility, with a mission statement to serve the city and the taxpayers who built it, it likely will have reduced prices for not-for profit organizations. Most of them do. It also has a mission to serve its community. While the college facilities first job is to serve itself.

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1

well it is actually possible. If its a city owned and operated facility, with a mission statement to serve the city and the taxpayers who built it, it likely will have reduced prices for not-for profit organizations. Most of them do. It also has a mission to serve its community. While the college facilities first job is to serve itself.

Is this true for a state university? I understand a private institution is thought to be self sustaining. I'm not challenging your statement...just asking if there might be a difference in fiscal responsibility. I would believe a state run university and stadium is responsible to the state & taxpayers to be a fiscally sound institution & facility.Whereas a city run facility is responsible to the city it's mission statement and city revenue as it relates to the mission statement.

This whole thing is utter nonsense---because of one knucklehead coach, not only does the university lose thousands and thousands of dollars-----the local economy takes a huge hit and loses revenue; restaurants, hotels/motels, grocery stores, gas stations, etc. etc---------AND the local government itself loses by not being able to collect items like room taxes, local taxes, etc. etc.

All for the ego and personal pocketbook of one coach and the university earning a whooping 600 bucks.

That's what happens when an institution of higher learning has actually no one, whatsoever, with practical business experience and is used to "playing business" with taxpayers money, they do not have any clue on the "real" world..............I like to fondly call them "imitation executives"..............as useless as tlts on a boar pig.

Well, they are paying their knucklehead coach a boatload of cash, so my guess is he gets pretty much whatever he wants...

From last November...

"The University of Minnesota announced Wednesday that Claeys, a longtime behind-the-scenes assistant, had signed a three-year, $4.5 million contract as head football coach."

http://www.startribune.com/claeys-named-head-coach-of-gophers-football/345750372/

Well, they are paying their knucklehead coach a boatload of cash, so my guess is he gets pretty much whatever he wants...

From last November...

"The University of Minnesota announced Wednesday that Claeys, a longtime behind-the-scenes assistant, had signed a three-year, $4.5 million contract as head football coach."

http://www.startribune.com/claeys-named-head-coach-of-gophers-football/345750372/

But his salary is peanuts in the world of NCAA football coaches.

Hmmm... I've usually seen a discount for non-profit. I guess it all goes back to individual mission statements. I'll have to look into TCFs vs USBank.

Universities, in my experience, have generally been tougher to deal with than city facilities as they have a mission to themselves first and fill their dates with lots of penciling of stuff for their own resident programs.

• Like 1

And for those who earlier said the University cares little for the marching arts......the U of M marching band has its own 20,000-square-foot practice facility, along with complete storage inside TCF Bank Stadium. The music department had a major say in what was to be included at the stadium.

From last November...

Meh; The Ohio State University re-upped Urban Meyer's contract and he made $5.8 million in 2015 alone :tounge2: