Is it a mistake?

That's my takeaway.

Judges at Show A will give scores and have access to recaps for Show A. Judges at Show B will give scores and have access to recaps for Show B.

Show A judges will not see recaps from Show B.

That's the intent.

The estimable Mr. Boo has posted a story at the DCI website promising "the scoop" on the hidden recaps. Yet I am left more perplexed than before.

There's a lot of that going around.

As for being "estimable," I was shooting for "inestimable." I guess I've still got some work to do.

• Like 1

Thanks for the official clarification!

Well, I'm not "official," but I play one on the Internet.

• Like 3

There's a lot of that going around.

As for being "estimable," I was shooting for "inestimable." I guess I've still got some work to do.

Hey, it's still Spring Training until the first step off tonight. Keep working at it. "Again!"

Again, IMO this is designed to cut web traffic to sites that compete against DCI's web presence, such that it is. Remember last season when the scores were released before they were announced at the actual show? Instead of improving their own site, IMO DCI is trying to squelch others by controlling the data.

Just follow the money or, in this case, the eyeballs.

So what are these other websites that are taking traffic from DCI? Has someone actually been scraping recaps and getting significant hits? I probably viewed recaps every day during the season the last couple of years, but I can't see why I'd ever want to view that content somewhere other than dci.org.

So what are these other websites that are taking traffic from DCI? Has someone actually been scraping recaps and getting significant hits? I probably viewed recaps every day during the season the last couple of years, but I can't see why I'd ever want to view that content somewhere other than dci.org.

DCP itself scraps recaps and posts it on their own site and in their own app (DrumScorps).

However, I'm not 100% sure if they're simply linking to DCI.org or using their own recaps

DCP itself scraps recaps and posts it on their own site and in their own app (DrumScorps).

However, I'm not 100% sure if they're simply linking to DCI.org or using their own recaps

Super sorry, this isn't a grammar nazi thing, I just found it interesting, but today I learned that scraping is the progressive form of to scrape, while scrapping is the progressive form of to scrap! I would have thought it was the other way around.

Anyways, DCP just scrapes the recap site I believe. That is, they have code that looks at the raw html (or whatever markup language the site uses) and extracts the information from that so they can redisplay it and have the database of scores. At least I assume they don't actually hand enter it... That would be brutal. Unfortunately DCI or competition suite doesn't provide API to access the scores. That would make life much easier since it provides the data in a structured form that's easy to manipulate. I think once upon a time DCP offered API to their score database though, but I may be completely incorrect about that.

Either way, accessing the DCP scores would bring no ad revenue to DCI, but neither would directly visiting the competition suite page either

Edited by Clutchtow
  • Like 1