Why aren't woodwinds allowed in DCI?

Hence, the historical basis for the necessity of Scotch.

And haggis.

• Like 2

And haggis.

Haggis and Scotch. The Scot's Breakfast of Champions.

• Like 1

Haggis and Scotch. The Scot's Breakfast of Champions.

Ooooh -- Now I know what to prepare for the Fourth. Now where did I put that sheep's stomach?

• Like 1

With adding woodwinds, how many members would a WC drum corps have? If you kept the same number of brass, how many woodwind players would you need to be able to have a balanced sound? Corps could go from 150 members to 300! Plus, it's more difficult to keep the woodwinds in tune with the brass.

If you kept the same number of brass, how many woodwind players would you need to be able to have a balanced sound? Corps could go from 150 members to 300! Plus, it's more difficult to keep the woodwinds in tune with the brass.

A few years ago I attended a BOA regional in St. G. The only time the woodwinds were heard was when they were the only section playing which allowed the brass section to do their mandatory body movement poses.

• Like 2

Based on nothing but my personal opinion, ww's are coming at some point. There is literally no argument to prevent them (cost, durability, weather) that had not already been applied to electronics and ignored by designers if this is what they want. Currently there isn't enough traction with staff, but I'm certain that will change.

Just my opinion though.

Mike

• Like 2

Woodwinds belong on a stage, not on the field. Drum corps has been destroyed enough already by over-reliance on electronics and too many props on the field without obliterating the historical nature of the activity completely. Now I'm not an old dinosaur who longs for the tick system to come back but the very idea of drum and bugle corps is being eradicated as we speak.

• Like 1

Brass Ensembles (Trios, Quartets, Quintets, Sextets, Polychoral, Homogeneous instrumentation, Heterogeneous instrumentation, etc.)

Woodwind Ensembles (Trios, Quartets, Quintets, Homogeneous instrumentation, Heterogeneous instrumentation, etc.)

String Ensembles (of every type)

Marching Bands (consisting of Brasses, Woodwinds, and Percussion)

Percussion Ensembles (both Marching and Concert based)

Woodwind Quintets (4 woodwinds and French Horn)

Etc., Etc., Etc.

Musical Ensembles of every type, size, and instrumentation.

Simply put -- What's next...kazoos and Ukuleles?? What is so wrong with maintaining one organization/musical genre which is comprised solely of Brasses and Percussion? I just don't get it...

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 4

Ooooh -- Now I know what to prepare for the Fourth. Now where did I put that sheep's stomach?

Don't worry. Have enough of the Scotch, and forgetting where you put the sheep's stomach won't matter a whit.