Feelin' Fresno!

I'm gong to take a wild guess and say the corps members, their staff and everyone involved would have preferred to have the entire show on the field too. But without knowing the circumstances as to why this didn't happen, we would all be making assumptions,

No. few people here are focusing on the WHY BK received such a high score for merely inhaling and exhaling for half their competition performance time last night. Most here are focusing on what DID take place. And there is no " assumptions " regarding that reality.

On a positive note, we can probably say with some degree of assurance that BK right now has the distinction of receiving the most build up points n DCI recent history for having the quietest closer in DCI history. Their closer is so quiet now, you can hear a pin drop, and if a judge in the box is close enough, the judges there could hear the MM's beating heart .... and it was apparently this breathing and the "musical sound" of the beating heart, that the judges in the box rewarded last night for BK's closer.

There is an old saying of " how important breathing is, in the brass line". I would say that " breathing " is now more important than ever before on the judging sheets. Breathing from the lungs is actually more important with the DCI judges now than putting air into a brass instrument. Things change. We all learn to adapt to that change. But that does not mean we can't chuckle and point out the sheer ridiculousness of what the DCI judges reward now in competition, compared to earlier decades. And if some people here can't laugh at what the judges did last night in Fresno,, they might just need a funnybone replacement, imo. ( lol!)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

What really surprises me is I cannot believe for a second that they aren't marching the complete show in rehearsals. I am obviously not in the know, but I would be surprised if it isn't on the field. So, I scratch my head as to why they wait. I understand they want to to be better than it is now, but I'm sure everyone wishes they were better than they are not.

Oh, it is very possible they haven't even started on their closer. That's how BK operates.

When my son performed his age-out year with them in 2014 they didn't even start learning the closer till they got to the NW and I think it was Boise or Ogden before they put it on the field.

I got ya. As I mentioned last night, a great way to remedy this is to eliminate scoring for the first 7-10 days. Do full evaluations and present them to the staff members - then after that period of time you begin scoring corps - and you also implinent the minimum and maximum timing rules.

That is a good idea.

The first DCA show of the year last weekend was an evaluation show, by mutual agreement of the corps involved. It went very well. Took the pressure off the corps and allowed them to go out there and let fly.

Might help a given corps put a more finished product out from the get-go, without the worry about getting killed on the scoresheets.

What really surprises me is I cannot believe for a second that they aren't marching the complete show in rehearsals. I am obviously not in the know, but I would be surprised if it isn't on the field. So, I scratch my head as to why they wait. I understand they want to to be better than it is now, but I'm sure everyone wishes they were better than they are not.

I will reiterate what I said a few pages back: I spoke with Mark Arnold last week in Colorado, and he said point-blank that they only had 4 1/2 minutes on the field learned. He was NOT happy about it. He did not say WHY the holdup is happening, but I can you tell you that he said it was not "by design".

I will reiterate what I said a few pages back: I spoke with Mark Arnold last week in Colorado, and he said point-blank that they only had 4 1/2 minutes on the field learned. He was NOT happy about it. He did not say WHY the holdup is happening, but I can you tell you that he said it was not "by design".

Thanks. Didn't see your comment back there. Interesting.

I got ya. As I mentioned last night, a great way to remedy this is to eliminate scoring for the first 7-10 days. Do full evaluations and present them to the staff members - then after that period of time you begin scoring corps - and you also implinent the minimum and maximum timing rules.

I'm not convinced that that approach would be any improvement. If anything, I tend to think that such an approach would provide even less reason to push to have a complete show on the field at the time of the first competition. As a fan in California, it does get a bit frustrating as it is. We often see shows that are still very much in rough form, an often incomplete. Given that after the first 7-10 days the top world class corps will all be headed east, and we won't have a chance to see them live again until next season, I can't get behind any approach to scoring that makes it easier to put off having their show ready by their opening night.

Absolutely agree. The "good old days" were not always so good at those first few shows. LOL. Heck, I marched in a local-circuit corps that scored in the 30s to start the season a couple of years. Talk about not being ready. We were clueless. :tongue:

Compared to BITD, many more (most, actually) of the top DCI corps come out now with complete shows (complete for the early season at least... of course there are going to be changes made.... some things added, some things scrapped... as the season progresses) and I tip my hat to them for that. it's a good trend. And I do understand the circumstances that can hinder a corps' progress.

But "you can't rush art" ... if the poster who said that was actually serious and not busting our chops ( and I wonder if that's the case here)...is a hugely lame excuse for not giving paying customers what they are paying to see, at what is the top level of drum corps, ostensibly the most professional level. Youth activity or not.

Moving on now. How about those Bluecoats??? :thumbup:

Mind the sarcasm.

Maybe they were penalized last night. Maybe they should've been 5 points higher but weren't bc they were missing 3 minutes of the show.

Just scanned this thread starting from when I had to turn in for the night. (I HATE having to keep up with West Coast shows.)

There's never a dull moment here on DCP!

You missed all the fun last night!!!

There are two reasons the judges gave a score to the BK. 1) Because they had to, and 2) Because the fans demand it for one reason or another.

Scores don't matter at this point of the season. I don't really give a crap about it. Heck, scores don't even say anything substantial until the 1st regional.

And the only time scores really matter is at prelims.

Also, given that this is a youth activity, ran and operated by non-profits, anyone who is offended that a corps didn't put out a full show on the first night or two of competition, really needs to get a grip. I don't care that you feel that you didn't get the full value of your purchase.

Nowhere does it say, when you buy your ticket, that you are entitled to 11 minutes from every corps on the schedule. You are entitled to whatever is performed in front of you, whatever it happens to be, and nothing more.

P.S. I do agree with whoever it was that said scores should not be given during the first two weeks of the season. Something about "evaluation period". I think that would be pretty cool to not have scores until after July 4th. It would build up quite a bit of suspense and corps wouldn't have to worry about that stuff, they can focus on getting their show better. Judge tapes from good judges are much more valuable than an arbitrary number shouted over a loudspeaker.

• Like 2

There are two reasons the judges gave a score to the BK. 1) Because they had to, and 2) Because the fans demand it for one reason or another.

Scores don't matter at this point of the season. I don't really give a crap about it. Heck, scores don't even say anything substantial until the 1st regional.

And the only time scores really matter is at prelims.

Also, given that this is a youth activity, ran and operated by non-profits, anyone who is offended that a corps didn't put out a full show on the first night or two of competition, really needs to get a grip. I don't care that you feel that you didn't get the full value of your purchase.

Nowhere does it say, when you buy your ticket, that you are entitled to 11 minutes from every corps on the schedule. You are entitled to whatever is performed in front of you, whatever it happens to be, and nothing more.

P.S. I do agree with whoever it was that said scores should not be given during the first two weeks of the season. Something about "evaluation period". I think that would be pretty cool to not have scores until after July 4th. It would build up quite a bit of suspense and corps wouldn't have to worry about that stuff, they can focus on getting their show better. Judge tapes from good judges are much more valuable than an arbitrary number shouted over a loudspeaker.

Post of this whole thread, honestly.