CrownBeat [July 8 2016]

Uh no.

And I can't believe as an adult male your bringing up a post of mine from June of 2006 and not even quoting it correctly. I literally saw that show preseason before the crap was added and said the corps was so strong in every caption that they could go undefeated. That it wouldn't surprise me. The corps was coming off an incredible finals where they dominated every caption, they had the same staff and a ton of vets. It was not an unreasonable statement at the time

Ten years later you're lifting that out of context and throwing it back at me as an insult. Ridiculous

You pretty clearly have an issue with Cadets. I have great respect for the Cavaliers.

Hope some day your perspective changes!

Cadets 2016 has zero cheese. That makes me a happy camper. Let's just enjoy it.

Seriously. I love this Cadets show. I think they're slow out of the gate but I think they will really surge late season. No crystal ball and early season scores not great but watching them I just have this feeling..
  • Like 1

I loved the ballad. Loved it.

One of the most underrated ballads in the history of the activity.

• Like 1

...And that, IMO, is why I have the show slipping to 4th. Too much repetition and not enough true meat in the show. I loved it early on, but now I'm getting a Cadets 2015 vibe from it.

tumblr_me31aq3Mjr1qacv60o1_500.jpg

Lol....your glasses are such a nice shade of bloo--er black I mean

I think you meant to say nice shade of spandex.

• Like 1

Some of the worst fans during the Cavalier championship years were Cadet fans; also some BD fans about how they were "getting the shaft". I really don't think you have a fan base that is not biased. No apologies necessary

Hmmmmm, most I saw during the Cavies years was respect from the Cadets fans that Gaines was a genius, and the visual product was revolutionary for its time. I never thought Cadets got shafted from 2001 - 2004. Cavies put a better product on the field. Just like BD has since 2011.

They cheesed the show up big time. There were some huge staff "issues" that causes a host of problems and frankly I feel like they've only been excised this season. They started out well and went straight down hill. Quick.

I respect what Cadets 2006 was trying to do, it just got away from them in the design process somewhere I think. As a natural follow-up to 2005, a show that had *many* detractors (myself included, at the time, but I was young and stupid and the benefit of maturity and years of working in design myself have corrected that error), it made sense to try that with "more".

My thoughts, now that I'm home (and without power due to a massive thunderstorm, I'm told.)

Legends: Enjoyed the music, but the synth sounds were super cheesy and their speakers weren't up to the task. Rest of the front ensemble was solid. I didn't get the visual significance of the rubber band squares they made and unmade, but I watched several people struggle with picking them up to move them. Speaking of struggling, I hope everyone is ok after the many collisions I saw.

Jersey Surf: a different kind of show for them, but it never pulled me in. Tempos in the beginning seem slow, and seems to plod along without ever arriving at a big payoff. The second half was a lot better, I thought.

Spirit: Wow! I want sure what to expect, but they exceeded it. Really liked their darker brass sound. I wasn't high in the stands, so there were a couple times when I lost focus on the featured dancers telling the story. Not sure if they need to adjust the staging there a bit or if I was just too close.

Bones: I'm not sure I get it. I really want to like it. But I don't. I think this is more my fault than the performers or designers. I need another live viewing to see if I can get into, I think.

BAC: The surprise of the night. I've seen them at the theatre and DCI Live and wasn't that excited. But live I absolutely LOVED this show. The performers are performing the hell out of it, and there are so many little things in the drill they're doing right. I also really love the windmills. I'd urge everyone to give this show a chance, and ignore some of the pedantic criticisms I've seen 'round these parts.

Cadets: Way better than the preview show I saw live in Ada. The changes are all solid. The volume and phrasing is awesome from the brass. But there was some phasing and articulation issues tonight, especially in the new closer. A lot of opportunity for them to excel and clean. Can't wait to see what else they change and add.

Bloo: Wow. Too much happening to watch it all at once. Totally different show in person, and though I shouldn't have been surprised after kinetic noise, the around the field audio effects really impressed me. Great soloists, great brass and percussion, and a top notch guard. I want to watch it 10 more times to see what I missed. I don't think it'll go stale by finals, as some seem to say.

Overall, on my numbers be ######, how much did I enjoy the shows for the entertainment they provided me ranking that nobody else cares about:

1. Bluecoats

2. BAC

3. Cadets

4. Spirit

5. Legends

6. Jersey Surf

7. Crossmen

• Like 7

Same sheets right?

Should be.