Bad Jonesing for Fan Network

OK I admit it. I really REALLY R E A L L Y miss fan network. The good old days when you could access any show you wanted and just watch it - over and over if need be. Or you could watch entire shows and see all the corps, or only the corps you want.

I missed Spirit's show in the Daytona live broadcast and tried to rewind to see it after Bloo performed but it got cut off because, I assume, the broadcast ended. Seriously, the periscoping just doesn't cut it and snapchat - no - it's just not the same!

If Granny Smith can whine because the Troopers aren't being scored high enough, I can whine because I miss Fan Network. It just sucks.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 7

Couldn't agree with you more...and neither would the folks at DCI. They'd like nothing better than to be able to give all of us what we want, but they just can't risk the legal ramifications...and there are simply not enough who would be willing to pay what it would cost to be able to provide it.

• Like 1

I think in due time Fan Network will be back. Many of the copyright contracts for mechanical licenses had to be re-worked. A lot of shows were being pulled, so much so that DCI felt it better to shut it down until they could re-work deals with copyright holders/publishers/artists.

I think once artists realize that drum corps arranging and performing their music can be a huge boost to their own fan base then things will ease up. Once those same artists realize that not much money is being made in DCI, with most of what is made going to the corps for operational costs, then mechanical licensing should be easier.

I believe the real hangup is the mechanical license. This is what allows DCI to record audio and video, post it online, or package it via CD or DVD. Some artists/publishers want a fee for every play and if they don't get that they will not give you permission to record. In the rock/pop world I am totally for that and agree that artists and publishers should be paid for their content. People deserve to be paid for their work.

But in the drum corps world, a mostly educational, non profit world, I am fine with having to pay for permission to arrange and also having to pay for permission to perform. After that, I wish they saw the value in allowing their music to be recorded and posted online or sold via DVD/CD. There is very little profit there anyway, and what profit there is can go a long way to keeping some drum corps afloat. I don't think this is the venue for concert band composers, orchestral composer, or rock and pop artists to go for a money grab. But their popularity could benefit from DCI.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3

Another fan network misser, right here. Those were good times. The live broadcasts should at least be available to subscribers for a week after. Between being at work for most of the weekday ones (West Coast and don't leave the office til 6) and actually missing a broadcast because I was physically at another drum corps show, I don't always have the opportunity to just sit down and watch. I don't even watch television live anymore, but drum corps I have to?

Another west coaster, and I definitely miss it. I can sometimes manage to watch a couple of corps from the east coast on the live streams, but in the FN days I'd often go back and watch them all over the next couple of days.

I think the biggest loss, though, is the historical videos. In the FN years, I'd often read something on DCP like "man, those '78 Couchmen really had a killer brass line" and then go check out the show to see if they were right. Sometimes you can find it on youtube, but not always.

The weirdest thing to me is that the loss of FN has pushed a lot of formerly paid use to free use on youtube, facebook and periscope. It's hard to see how this benefits either DCI or the corps or the rights holders.

• Like 1