Drenched in DeKalb

:blink: Incidental music. There's one I haven't heard.

It seems pretty clear to me that much of the music book is designed to convey/dramatize the main "incidents" of their show. That's how it's often done on film underscoring. I think the cinematic approach is the intent.
  • Like 1

My biggest complaint about BD is the trombones. Most corps have used them for timbre and for useful effect. A good portion of the usage from BD is just for glissandos. I really have come to expect art and perfection from them, not 5th grade trombone beginner class sound effects :/

Haha. You know, it's a legitimate effect that is used across all types of music. Performance majors spend time perfecting the effect. Clearly you don't care for it, but it's hardly a "5th grade sound effect". It's quite a technical thing, and with that many players, it needs to be done well to sound good. If not, then it does sound like a bunch of fifth graders screwing around before class. I didn't really care for it when I saw it on video (have you actually seen it live?), but I 'get it' and appreciate the effect now.

• Like 3

Sorry, I just don't see it.

Loved Ink, loved Felliniesque. This show is just emotionless to me. Polite applause. I know all the BD honks will come after me, so bring it on, but this show feels so routine to me.

Probably because every one of your posts is anti bd crown cadets and pro bloo. Only reason they will. But it's your opinion.

But it is very effective, and that is what the GE judges will go for, and it ties to the lost at sea shipwreck theme. I think their show is brilliant, and the ballad is one of the best designed moments in DCI in years...

Completely agree. It's like a masterclass in design

• Like 4

It seems pretty clear to me that much of the music book is designed to convey/dramatize the main "incidents" of their show. That's how it's often done on film underscoring. I think the cinematic approach is the intent.

OK, if that's the framing of the comment. Clearly it's somewhat of a cinematic approach. It's certainly becoming the norm in the activity. I think the biggest contributor to this phenomenon has been the show length reduction. It hardly leaves time to develop ideas, music and an overall program. I think they need to go back to 11 1/2-13 minutes. The kids are capable.

OK, if that's the framing of the comment. Clearly it's somewhat of a cinematic approach. It's certainly becoming the norm in the activity. I think the biggest contributor to this phenomenon has been the show length reduction. It hardly leaves time to develop ideas, music and an overall program. I think they need to go back to 11 1/2-13 minutes. The kids are capable.

When did shows get shorter and why? I would love longer more cinematic shows...

• Like 1