Music on the Move...Bentonville Arkansas

What are you talking about? Michael Rosales is the body movement coordinator for Crown. He also choreographs all the dance for the guard. Do you know who he is and the body work demand level of the movement Crown does?

Crown 2016 moves beautifully. Honestly it's the first time I've watched a corps and thought they move as well as BD, both when they are doing drill and when they are doing dance/body. My wife watched them for the first time on the stream on Monday and immediately commented on it.

• Like 1

What are you talking about? Michael Rosales is the body movement coordinator for Crown. He also choreographs all the dance for the guard. Do you know who he is and the body work demand level of the movement Crown does?

How does any of that have anything to do with what he said?

How does any of that have anything to do with what he said?

He said judges today are looking for a wider array of physical demands. You read that right? Do you not see that I am pointing out the fact that what Crown does is incredibly demanding and you can see that when you watch them perform and you can understand that based on how well regarded Michael Rosales is in the world of dance and choreography?

He said judges today are looking for a wider array of physical demands. You read that right? Do you not see that I am pointing out the fact that what Crown does is incredibly demanding and you can see that when you watch them perform and you can understand that based on how well regarded Michael Rosales is in the world of dance and choreography?

Sure but you have to look at the context of that. He wasn't accusing Crown of less demand, he was just making a general comment that the common misconception of less drill = less visual demand is not true. In fact, I'm pretty sure you both are on the same page.

• Like 1

I like Crown, but no one should say they are less "gimmicky" than other groups as the whole Western shtick is as gimmicky as anyone. Also, doing the most drill does not automatically equal more visual content. Judges today are looking at a wider array of physical demand.

Was speaking of Bluecoats specifically, 3PoC. I don't think you should confuse a theme with using gimmicks. Some of the vignettes Crown uses are certainly customary to that type of story line, but they're in context. When I listen to Ojos de Brujo, I don't get visions of people sliding down skate halfpipes...nor when listening to Pink Floyd. Sure, it's "out of the box" treatment of the music in their repertoire. Given the limitations of this particular prop, I find it gimmicky. If you disagree, that's fine.

Sigh (here we go again)...I bring up the lack of drill speaking specifically of Bluecoats. Where did you read "doing the most drill automatically equals more visual content"? Well, you didn't, but I'll tell you that I'm pretty confident that they're going to have to find more than follow-the-leadering backstage over and over, if they want to contend for the title. Frankly, I'm a little surprised that Crown hasn't passed up Coats yet. It's about continuity, 3PoC. I know you love the Coats, and believe me, I like them a lot too. They've been one of my favorites for a few years...but their show lacks flow right now. Lots of energy, excitement, and panache, but they're going to need to get the structure, flow and content to work as a cohesive package. Right now (and it may get there), it doesn't have a refinement that we saw with Tilt and Kinetic Noise. BD and Crown have it "going on" in all areas, so Bluecoats will need to address this one area to climb into the discussion in three and a half weeks.

• Like 2

I was just trying to make two simple points and I was not intending to razz any particular corps. First, as a fan of Bloo's show this year, I was responding to the "gimmicky" tag that some seem to throw at this show by pointing out that other groups could be called that (I used Crown's western "gimmicks" as an example but I could have used pretty much any group as they all have elements that could be considered "gimmicky"). The question is where they are on the cool/cheesy scale and whether they are used effectively and with skill. Secondly, I was pushing back against a few commenters who were forwarding ideas such as more drill = more visual demand/content. All of the top groups use a mix of movement - drill, dance, body movement, running, posturing/posing, acting/characterization prop/equipment utilization etc... and each have a unique mix of these demands displayed in their show. People naturally tend to put more value to the things that they prefer to see and the corps that do those those things in the balance they like. The fallacy is to assume that the judges will more highly reward the things they value most when often it's really a personal preference. Bringing it back to Bloo, the judges seem to be seeing the content/demand that they are going for and the idea that they are going to fade based on this critique is likely trying to assume the judges will adopt priorities that are coming from personal taste. I'm not a judge, so I don't know how they will evaluate these programs down the stretch, but I do think they will see the unique demands and recognize things that may not be what you and I prefer to look for in a production.

• Like 1

hate to tell you but Crown is 3rd place at best this year.

I smell Bloo cheese...

• Like 3

You don't want to wear flip-flops in the shower. Really slippery. When I marched Blue Devils, we had a guy slip in the shower and knock his front teeth clean out of his head the morning of Allentown. They took him to the dentist, but his teeth back in and emerged prelims. Almost 100% sure he didn't play.

Complete opposite happened to me during winter camps, forgot flip flops and almost did a full on split, still feel it when marching or walking today.