Where is DCI?

The shows presented today require a lot more from the audience than in the "good old days". In the 60's (my generation) there were lots of "toe tapping" numbers and outstanding soloists who created entertainment from a crowd that, well, "knew what they liked". Today, you'd better read up on your Shakespeare, study the Corps' program notes, listen to recordings of the source materials, be up on your understanding of how judges score, understand current drum techniques, have an understanding of dance movement . . . need I go on? I have to study today's shows on the internet to appreciate them.

The kids who love today's shows don't feel that way because they've studied the intricacies of The Tempest or done other research.

On the other hand, in the distant past, parts of the score came from elements that the audience back then didn't care about either, like inspection, and keeping a tempo within a particular narrow range, and so on.

Just felt the need to reemphasize this point: most of the audience is doing no more work today than they did in decades past. That's just not happening.

• Like 2

If you actually believed them, shame on you. It's the same straw fed to the cattle before amps.

Well, that's the thing: "we" didn't, but have to suffer the same consequences as those who did. Moo.

I don't mind trombones for features - but to march with them around the field just seems non-drum-corps-ish.

However, they add a nice sound. Glissandos are okay every now and then - but overdoing it just makes me want to reach out and bend one in half. So stupid. I'm trying to remember who was doing that. Oh, Blue Devils if I recall. But a lot of corps have them this year.

The first thing that did come to mind when I saw trombones marching was "omg somebody is going to get clocked in the head."

right now we are seeing the new factor. the shiny new object, people seeing what they can do with them

• Like 1

Or maybe waiting until real life stops long enough for one of us to punch in, do board maintenance, clean the ashtrays, and take the time to thoughtfully review the post reports and the discussion before rushing to hit the delete and/or account suspension button thingy....not that I'm bitter or anything....

removed the original post and subsequent collateral 'stuff' ONLY because it was off topic, I've been in San Antonio all week and NOT getting to see an awesome drum corps show, I have a headache and am a little #####y...

BTW, I'm Catholic - I get jokes. I laughed, then saved it to show my priest.

okay, I feel better now.....carry on.....

so, how do you really feel?

Well, that's the thing: "we" didn't, but have to suffer the same consequences as those who did. Moo.

i'm not suffering

i'm not suffering

As far as trombones and other brass instruments go, I'm not either. As far as amplification and synthesizers go, everybody was suffering, a lot, for years, yowza, and even today electronics balance is still a recurring issue for some corps. It's a tool that keeps being misused (whereas trombones have been largely successful).

As far as trombones and other brass instruments go, I'm not either. As far as amplification and synthesizers go, everybody was suffering, a lot, for years, yowza, and even today electronics balance is still a recurring issue for some corps. It's a tool that keeps being misused (whereas trombones have been largely successful).

it took time to work out with the electronics. even in the band world.

granted i do think judges could and should address balance issues more harshly, but it is what it is

Trombones largely successful. True. But the Blue Devils and Cadets must have woke up with the same dream this year.

Best use of trombone this year goes to Crown for Roxanne. Next for me is Bluecoats with the Pink Floyd tune. Cadets initial blast of trombones at the opening is pretty effective as well. BD, a bit overused with the refrain - but that's me. Others seem to really dig it.

As for French Horns, Cadets certainly don't disappoint. The use of frenchies seems to be a little less popular, but so far so good. I'd give the nod to Cadets on this one.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

if you actually believed them, shame on you. it's the same straw fed to the cattle before amps.

You really have a way with people.

shame on that corps for not doing more to retain the members

You really have a way with Corps.